• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Part 91 Mandatory Retirement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the AMEs do their job properly, there shouldn't be a retirement age.

:laugh: I think I go to the same AME
Mine really is over 80. Retired from his practice, had lots of demand for medicals so he opened up a one room office near his house. Only does medicals now, no insurance, etc.... Pretty cool really.

Mine really is over 80. Retired from his practice, had lots of demand for medicals so he opened up a one room office near his house. Only does medicals now, no insurance, etc.... Pretty cool really.

EXACTLY what my AME did. Ex-military, also. Seems to have a strong following, lots of FAA ATC people based offshore come to see this guy. But he's a pilot advocate and will go to bat for you with OKC if you need it. So if he wants to look at my retinas 3, 4 or 5 times, I'm good. Only one digital exam per visit, however. I do have scruples :D

If the AMEs do their job properly, there shouldn't be a retirement age.

The only problem is that FAA medicals are based on medical knowledge circa 1947 and kept that way by lobby groups. They really are a joke. An EKG only tells you if you have already had a cardiac event, not if you are at risk for one. It is long past time to come up with new criteria. There are so many overweight, unhealthy and "at-risk" pilots working today that it is not even funny. Being able to pass an FAA medical is not a good indicator of fitness for duty. We all probably know a few few who amazingly continue to squeak by. Sad but true

Just a reminder....
Over the last 40 years the Dow has soared from less then 1600 to up over 16000. Home prices have increased 10-15 times over, we won't even discuss the price of gold? If I see those kind of gains over the next 30 years I'll be worth approximately 35 million dollars and retired at 60.

Just a reminder....
Over the last 40 years the Dow has soared from less then 1600 to up over 16000. Home prices have increased 10-15 times over, we won't even discuss the price of gold? If I see those kind of gains over the next 30 years I'll be worth approximately 35 million dollars and retired at 60.

Hard to retire even with $35 million when a Starbucks is $83 and a 2000 sf 3-2 house is $3.4 mil.

Hard to retire even with $35 million when a Starbucks is $83 and a 2000 sf 3-2 house is $3.4 mil.

;)

"Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth."
--Lillian Hellman

Mmmmmmm. Sanka. That was awesome stuff.

My Mom kept it in the pantry. Right next to the Tang.

Latest resources

Back