Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EngineOut

Time to Make the Donuts!
What are some of your thoughts and experiences interviewing with a printout of an electronic logbook?

I've been using one for two years and just spent 7 hours last night transferring it all to my paper logbook because I've been told by several people that the paper logbook is required to interview with anyone. WTF? I can't imagine everyone who uses an e-log spends the time to do what I did last night.

What's the point of an e-log then? I understand the endorsements, I guess, but why not rip those out and put them in a binder with the e-log prints?

What do you all do?

Thanks.

I use logbook pro and a standard 3-ring binder. I export the spreadsheet data from logbook pro into adobe.

Before exporting the information to adobe I "customise" the columns so that the size looks ok.

After exporting the information, adobe will allow you to resize the pages to fit onto a standard 8.5x11 sheet of paper. Then use a hole puncher and throw them into the binder.

With 5000+ hours, it took me very little time to accomplish this. And the last interview I did (at America West,) worked out fine with this print out.

I also use logbook pro, and have for years. I brought my paper logs to my last interview (Flight Express), but they didn't even glance at them. Printout was sufficient there.

Electronic or paper...it shouldn't matter. According to the FAR's they only need be accurate. I started logging by the month after I hit the 7-8000 hr mark. You only need to log per flight if you are seeking an additional rating (Instrument, ATP, etc.) and the time needs to be broken down.

Use logbook pro, use a written logbook, it shouldn't matter as it hasn't for myself. I've not been turned down for any job ever. Just make sure the times add up. I use PIC+SIC+student time(pre-private)= Total. Never a question.

Good luck.

Mike

EngineOut said:
Do you guys keep your paper logbooks updated?
I occasionally print mine out and have them bound and through away the old one. Problem with the electronic logbooks, if you hard drive gets fried, so does your logbook. I have a paper log, computer log and all the info from APDL on my PDA which hold about the rest of my career with the memory card.

Also, everytime you do a 8710, it's a affidavit of your time which you can use to back yourself up.

Always plan for the worst. It's a basic pilot tenant.

I regually back up my logbook pro file onto a disk, and every now and then email the file to myself. I use a pocket pc and log my flights right after then happen, then at the end of the day, plug it into my computer and upload the info. Every now and then I still write into my paper logbook, but I think i'll stop doing that soon. Really no need.

If you use a electronic logbook and print it out, be sure to sign each page. I printed up a set of sheets that said something like 'I certify the above to be true and correct' on the bottom and printed the logbook onto those sheets and signed each of them. A lot of people don't view it as a real logbook unless you've signed each page.

Scott

Latest resources

Back