• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Overseas CRJ's paying 130-150K

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Once you go overseas to fly...my understanding is that it's very difficult to get hired again with an airline back in the US..

This is absolutely NOT true. I worked overseas in the 1990s, as have a number of my friends. All of us returned to the US and are flying for US major airlines and corporations (although the corporate guys are making significantly more money than the airline guys). Although I am close to retirement, I am not certain that this is not also true for those who leave for foreign positions today.

A former student of mine manages a large overseas corporate operation that regularly places US pilots who work there back in the US with both major airlines and large corporate operations.

Bob

Once you go overseas to fly...my understanding is that it's very difficult to get hired again with an airline back in the US..

Yes, I'm sure most airlines and corporate gigs would hate to have pilots on staff that actually know a thing or two about international ops.

Last edited:
Where on earth did you get that ridiculous idea from? In my 30 plus in this paid hobby, I have gone back and forth a couple of times during both of the downturns of the 90's and the the downturn of 01 between jobs overseas and back to jobs in the US. If anything, it makes your face to face interview more interesting to them, they always want to hear the stories.

This is absolutely 100% true with respect to Fedex.

FedEx will absolutely not even accept your application if you have not lived in the USA for a min of 5 consecutive years at the time you apply.

It's stupid, but it's a rule of our contract with the US Postal service.

US Military personell are the only ones exempt from this.

As for other airlines, well unless they have a similar Postal contract, I imagine it wouldn't be that big a deal.

Straight from our pilot recruitment website:

Please note that you must have the ability to obtain clearance from the United States Postal Service for handling or access to U.S. mail, which includes FBI fingerprint check, and candidate must have resided in the United States for the last five consecutive years (except for U.S. military assignments). Review our qualifications for additional information.

Last edited:
This is absolutely 100% true with respect to Fedex.

FedEx will absolutely not even accept your application if you have not lived in the USA for a min of 5 consecutive years at the time you.
That is a well known fact, everyone knows it. All you need to do is demonstrate recidency status in the US, if you have a commuting job for example, your legal residency IS in the US, the fact that you work abroad is irrelevant.

I believe working overseas does not mean that you have not resided in the US, you are just commuting for work.

This is absolutely NOT true. I worked overseas in the 1990s, as have a number of my friends. All of us returned to the US and are flying for US major airlines and corporations (although the corporate guys are making significantly more money than the airline guys). Although I am close to retirement, I am not certain that this is not also true for those who leave for foreign positions today.

A former student of mine manages a large overseas corporate operation that regularly places US pilots who work there back in the US with both major airlines and large corporate operations.

Bob

Huh? I have many friends working at both major airlines and Fortune 500 flight departments and in 75% of them, the airline guys make significantly more than their corporate counterparts (specifically, $225K versus $150K).

Huh? I have many friends working at both major airlines and Fortune 500 flight departments and in 75% of them, the airline guys make significantly more than their corporate counterparts (specifically, $225K versus $150K).

How many years was it at an airline before they made that kind of pay?
At my company pilots start off between 150K and 175K, so total pay over a given period of time would be higher at my company even though the airline guys might top out a bit higher.

I am sorry that you have corporate friends at those wages. I regularly place G550, GLEX and BBJ guys into positions at >225K here in the US and at the same in Euros in Europe (acknowledging that many are placed into management positions). The big advantage for the guys who went overseas for opportunities is the experience. I recently sent a 36 year old former international captain to a US corporation at $225000/yr + performance bonuses.

Bob

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back