• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Overhead at Civilian Fields

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Miser- New River is not inside a restricted area. It is simply a class D airspace. If I were to go there (which I won't because of the short runways) then I would go at 300 knots because slower than that is unsafe. This is not an issue about how fast I can go, it is an issue of what is the slowest safe speed...that is 300 knots on a clean T-38. Slower than that, generally, and the airplane will stall instead of turn. That is why it is authorized to go 300 knots below 10,000 feet.

It would not be a "walk of shame" because no rules are being violated. It would simply be an annoyance to have to go explain to the airfield manager that he is wrong.

Bingo.

Thanks, I am enjoying it and loving it so far! True, the T-45 does not have a waiver, since our aircraft are designed to go nice and slow for the boat. I was originally under the impression that we didn't do breaks at civilian fields until i went on XC and the reserve IP needed to get some breaks in. That's where the question arose from, and it was more out of curiousity if anyone had been called out on it. The only other story I've heard is of the Hornet guy doing 500kts at 100' in the break!
Was this at PBI? If so, I think I was there!

The 'sader had speed brakes on the belly, like the A-7

Look good or die tryin !!

my dad said back when he was in the navy (late 60's) dudes would do "5 bill breaks" all the time, especially on the boat (he flew intruders so pretty sure he wasn't invloved in these shenanigans).

I read a story in a book (fast movers, i think) about a crusader pilot doing just such a manuever and in the break at high speed he deployed the speed break (which on the mighty F8 happens to be the entire wing) and it seperated from the airplane. The fuselage swapped ends and landed like a cigar on the base softball fields. When CFR arrived the pilot was still sitting smugly in the cockpit and they thought he was fine until they opened it up and realized that his spine was reduced to a gelatinous paste and he had been killed instantly but for whatever reason was still just sitting there all strapped in.

Heck...I've done it a few times in a Beech 1900 into uncontrolled fields! Perfectly acceptable pattern entry in the AIM, but obviously we have to obey the 200 knot (recommended) for Class "E" airspace.

yeah, I'm sure your two to three passengers in the back loved the break!

Early next year,... when I'm back on flying status (i.e. no longer DNIF),... you can bet my first cross country will be to the east coast, with a drop in at New River so I can report initial.

Hey Bert!
How are things at Pinnacolgan? I'm still here too...Flying the mighty beech, but based in the Northeast...no more 235 into the break at BKW anymore:-(

Latest resources

Back