Overhead at Civilian Fields

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I might be wrong, but here's my rebuttal:
Yes, they may call me up and ask to speak with me, but by Part 91.117, paragraph d, that speed limit doesn't apply to the T-38. The FAA has stated that since the 300KIAS is listed in the T-38 flight manual, that's the speed at which we may operate.
Therefore, I don't think New Rivers' Base Ops / ATC would not have a leg to stand on.
"(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed."

Many of you folks are way smarter on this than I am. Is there something I'm missing?

When operating in restricted airspace, which it is, you must comply with all restrictions.

<yawn>

If only there were a DOD-wide LOA with the FAA that dealt with minimum airspeeds by DOD aircraft (fighters especially).

Oh wait...there is!

And it specifically references the chapter in my jet's flight manual where it says I come up initial at 300 knots.

I'd be happy to show that to whatever toolbag decided to make an issue of it.

Last time I checked, the "MCAS" at the front of the name of the airfield meant that DOD agreements were in effect.

Do you require permission to enter restricted airspace? If you enter restricted airspace are you to comply with all restrictions? I believe the DOD instructions covering DOD restricted airspace say yes.

Having been cross country as much as the next guy and having done the Demo gig (lots of smaller civilian fields) just refer to the first page in the Dash-1 of life (REGARDLESS OF THE RULES, USE COMMON SENSE IN ALL THAT FOLLOWS). If you are entering initial at ORD then go with what the controllers are requesting or allowing (probably a lack of GA in the pattern). If you are up initial at a 7000' strip near a large city with a small airshow then speed your discretion with eyes out and some sort of auto aqc helping you feel your way along.
And yes, don't look or sound like a dufus in the pattern. If you are requested to report the duty then do so (Boca Chica being numero uno). If you are told no fan breaks, then no fan breaks. If you are reporting high key then do better next time at UPT and get a two engined fighter.
Lets see how many folks actually read this stuff...

I read it. Well said.

This is so not worth worrying about

Huggy- MCAS New River has two 5000 foot runways. We might be able to go, but leaving would be a challenge.

Miser- New River is not inside a restricted area. It is simply a class D airspace. If I were to go there (which I won't because of the short runways) then I would go at 300 knots because slower than that is unsafe. This is not an issue about how fast I can go, it is an issue of what is the slowest safe speed...that is 300 knots on a clean T-38. Slower than that, generally, and the airplane will stall instead of turn. That is why it is authorized to go 300 knots below 10,000 feet.

It would not be a "walk of shame" because no rules are being violated. It would simply be an annoyance to have to go explain to the airfield manager that he is wrong.

puck 11,

long story short: if your jet has the waiver to the speed limits, then you can go however fast your manual (NATOPS, -1, etc) says is your slowest limit. i flew with a few t-45 guys at jax to the boat a few years back, and they all told me the jet did not have the 250 below 10 waiver. (as i was at about 350 kias approaching the coast, assuming that the t-45 was the same as the t-38.) maybe your jet has the waiver now, but technically if it does not, then you gotta play by the same rules as us slow guys. that being said, enjoy the rest of flight school. best year of your life!

Thanks, I am enjoying it and loving it so far! True, the T-45 does not have a waiver, since our aircraft are designed to go nice and slow for the boat. I was originally under the impression that we didn't do breaks at civilian fields until i went on XC and the reserve IP needed to get some breaks in. That's where the question arose from, and it was more out of curiousity if anyone had been called out on it. The only other story I've heard is of the Hornet guy doing 500kts at 100' in the break!

puck 11,

long story short: if your jet has the waiver to the speed limits, then you can go however fast your manual (NATOPS, -1, etc) says is your slowest limit. i flew with a few t-45 guys at jax to the boat a few years back, and they all told me the jet did not have the 250 below 10 waiver. (as i was at about 350 kias approaching the coast, assuming that the t-45 was the same as the t-38.) maybe your jet has the waiver now, but technically if it does not, then you gotta play by the same rules as us slow guys. that being said, enjoy the rest of flight school. best year of your life!

The only other story I've heard is of the Hornet guy doing 500kts at 100' in the break!

Sounds safe. Navy standard. What a clown...great way to get yourself killed. The rules are the rules for a reason - especially in a fighter. As the saying goes, most - if not all rules/reg's or TR's- were written in blood.

As the saying goes, most - if not all rules/reg's or TR's- were written in blood.
That always reminds me of the canopy breaker tool from the T-38 and T-37. Remember the Warning in the Dash-1 about ensuring the blade is toward you? I wish I knew the pilot who ended up looking like a unicorn with that blade stuck in his skull.

my dad said back when he was in the navy (late 60's) dudes would do "5 bill breaks" all the time, especially on the boat (he flew intruders so pretty sure he wasn't invloved in these shenanigans).

I read a story in a book (fast movers, i think) about a crusader pilot doing just such a manuever and in the break at high speed he deployed the speed break (which on the mighty F8 happens to be the entire wing) and it seperated from the airplane. The fuselage swapped ends and landed like a cigar on the base softball fields. When CFR arrived the pilot was still sitting smugly in the cockpit and they thought he was fine until they opened it up and realized that his spine was reduced to a gelatinous paste and he had been killed instantly but for whatever reason was still just sitting there all strapped in.

Latest resources

Back