• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Over half of PDT FO's hired in '07

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think he is trying to state that it comes down to experience.

THANK YOU!

As I said, I wasn't saying that 1500 hours of experience was as good as 3000 hours of experience...just trying to understand what the reasoning was for 3000hr captains being a "necessity" in the Dash when RJ operators as well as other prop operators have an exemplary safety record with captains having less than that TT.

Got a set of three stripes. Never worn.

Gotta love a cryptic, condescending smartass on the internet...:rolleyes:

Tell you what. Ask anyone if anybody who has to rsort to name calling after receiving only few critical words should be a captain of any aircraft..... There are tons of people who get on our flights and the people we work with everyday, that can truely test your patience and capacity, as you may have noticed by now. If you think just being safe is the only queality that's required by any captain, you're right -- there are lots of other carriers who would be happy to put you in the left seat.

There is no doubt being safe is the most important thing however there are tons of other things that can really ruin your and other poeple's day. Not to mention the liabilities the company could get hit by, if you are talking about their insurance. And the company depends on the captain's experience, maturity and character to best deal with them.

As of now, 3000 is where PDT draws the line, however arbitrary it may be. Deal with it.

Last edited:
Tell you what. Ask anyone if anybody who has to rsort to name calling after receiving only few critical words should be a captain of any aircraft.....

The truth only hurts if it should, friend.

I asked an honest, legitimate question and it was "answered" by you in a condescending, smart-ass tone. All I wanted was the reasoning why some folks feel 3000 hours to upgrade at Piedmont is a "necessity". If you had made any reference to the average (in)experience of PDT's newhires or airplane/airport-specifc operational issues I'd have understood...but you offered NOTHING to that end. JonnyP did, and I thanked him for his insight.

There are tons of people who get on our flights everyday, that can truely test your patience. If you think just being safe is the only queality that's required by any captain, you're right -- there are lots of other carriers who would be happy to put you in the left seat.

What you just described is not specific to Piedmont, or even the US Airways Express system - those issues exist everywhere. And while total time or even time in type *might* be an indicator of safety from an experience perspective, it's a piss-poor indicator of the quality of a given captain's judgment or customer service skills.

As of now, 3000 is where PDT draws the line, however arbitrary it may be. Deal with it.

I don't have to "deal with it", I don't work there though I have the utmost respect for PDT pilots and the flying they do. Besides, I never said 1500 hours of experience was equal to 3000 hours...a fact I've repeated at least three times now.

Guess that's what I get for asking an honest question on Flightinfo.:rolleyes:

The truth only hurts if it should, friend.

I asked an honest, legitimate question and it was "answered" by you in a condescending, smart-ass tone. All I wanted was the reasoning why some folks feel 3000 hours to upgrade at Piedmont is a "necessity". If you had made any reference to the average (in)experience of PDT's newhires or airplane/airport-specifc operational issues I'd have understood...but you offered NOTHING to that end. JonnyP did, and I thanked him for his insight.

What you just described is not specific to Piedmont, or even the US Airways Express system - those issues exist everywhere. And while total time or even time in type *might* be an indicator of safety from an experience perspective, it's a piss-poor indicator of the quality of a given captain's judgment or customer service skills.

I don't have to "deal with it", I don't work there though I have the utmost respect for PDT pilots and the flying they do. Besides, I never said 1500 hours of experience was equal to 3000 hours...a fact I've repeated at least three times now.

Guess that's what I get for asking an honest question on Flightinfo.:rolleyes:

Glad to hear it. Sounds like you've got it all figured out. Wish you best of luck.

Truly,

Your "condescending smartass"

Last edited:
dirkdigler said:
Sounds like you've got it all figured out.

Far from it, actually...

I just think its a shame that you couldn't be bothered to answer a simple, honest question. I don't deal in flamebait, and the folks in your pilot group that know me personally would tell you I'd be more than happy to listen to your perspective even if I ultimately disagreed with it.

dirkdigler said:
Wish you best of luck.

Likewise...

Knowing him personally, Boiler is a mature and safe pilot and soon will make an excellent CA. He deals with facts and never argues with emotion. He asked a simple question to start a discussion.

I assure you he will always kindly listen to your perspective; and he will almost never agree with it. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, why all the hate? :beer:

42 Reg jacket

I will have a 42R old style FO jacket and epaulets for sale Dec 1.

On a seperate note, why is PDT changing the parking in SYR to a long term private lot in DEC? That means bussing and no garage so.. snow covered cars. The hell if I would leave my keys with anybody while on a trip even if they do ensure your car is not snowed in. That is no BONUS as JB wrote. BONUS would be not chasing a few dollars a month and let us keep our garage spots or even parking in the employee lot at the terminal. It just made me realize why I want to leave this place.

Latest resources

Back