• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Over AGE 60 PILOTS TO FLY IN UNITED STATES

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are there any other "action sites" besides the ALPA's dedicated to keeping the age limit at 60? Or maybe lowering it to 55:D

The Prussian said:
Don't believe I've seen the need for a pilot to carry anybody down an airstair.

Can a 61 year old fireman do a CAT 3 app? Some 59--almost 60 year old pilots probably shouldn't. Your argument is weak.

Bye Bye--General Lee

crosscut said:
Same reason why there is still child labor in some countries, or women are treated like slaves, or Indians think that a cow could have been their relative in former life. Simply put, Undaunted, different cultures = different laws AND not all have a reason and/or are logical. Wanna fly past 60? Go to Canada or any other country that has such a disregard for safety.

If you are against it for safety reasons, state the facts. The FAA (Blakely) has stated that there is no evidence to support keeping the rule as is. Of the pilots that have introduced unneeded excitement into the cockpit, most of them were under 35, rather than over 55.

General Lee said:
I am ABSOLUTELY against raising the age limit, but the English do it in a way that they seem to like. No Captains over age 60, and they can move to the right seat at that age, until age 62 I believe. That way, the upgrades are still there, and the old captains get to still fly for a couple years, taking orders from their former FOs. There would be a slow down in hiring though, since no seats would open, but the upgrades would still happen. I am still against it, for safety reasons.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General, I believe you are talking about the British, some happen to be English.:) BA is in the process of changing thei retirement from age 55 to 60 and to 65 five years from now. The other airlines at present have Captains up to the age of 65. The problem has been that some countries such as France and Italy have not recognized the JAA standard of age 65. That will change late this year when the ICAO standard is changed from age 60 to 65. That British 747 ahead of you may have an age 63 Captain and the German airliner behind you may have an age 64 Captain during your arrival in Atlanta.

CaptainMark said:
lets see...greed..failed marriageS...invested in elephants that poop gold bars...money mismanagement..no life...oh well..i will have to be #1 on the seniority list for another 5 years...

There are elephants that can poop gold bars? Let me in!

FoxHunter said:
General, I believe you are talking about the British, some happen to be English.:) BA is in the process of changing thei retirement from age 55 to 60 and to 65 five years from now. The other airlines at present have Captains up to the age of 65. The problem has been that some countries such as France and Italy have not recognized the JAA standard of age 65. That will change late this year when the ICAO standard is changed from age 60 to 65. That British 747 ahead of you may have an age 63 Captain and the German airliner behind you may have an age 64 Captain during your arrival in Atlanta.

Thanks for the warnings. I will plan accordingly---I will make sure we have a lot of space for the inevitable long landing and slow turn off from that old captain ahead. And, the old guy behind me might have to go around if his FO doesn't warn him what is actually going on. (if he can actually hear his FO)

Hey, I know you like your job Foxhunter, but it will be time to retire and allow someone else the chance to experience what you know. At least you have a pension.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back