Over AGE 60 PILOTS TO FLY IN UNITED STATES

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lostplnetairman said:
What if the FO is older? Geez, you are so silly! Do you even read what you write before posting it? Your argument has no merit.

HR Diva

We all know the Stews are older, no questions there. Maybe certain CEOs are too old and needs to step down also. There should be age limitations in every profession that carry large responsibilities. But, if we do that, the lawyers will hate it, even the old lawyers cashing in on mistakes made by the elderly. My argument makes sense.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The Prussian said:
Once again, comparing apples to oranges....I agree on your last statement...your argument is weak!

Wait a second, your profile fits a LUV 737 Captain. No surprise. You were probably one of the guys who lost in front of the Supreme Court.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Just to be factual, the FAA waiver case for over age 60 pilots was not lost in the Supreme Court. It was just not heard at that level.

General Lee said:
We all know the Stews are older, no questions there. Maybe certain CEOs are too old and needs to step down also. There should be age limitations in every profession that carry large responsibilities. But, if we do that, the lawyers will hate it, even the old lawyers cashing in on mistakes made by the elderly. My argument makes sense.

Bye Bye--General Lee

What does a "Stew" have to do with an FO? Gosh, all these young pilots who can't pay attention to detail need to go to pasture! LOL!

HR Diva

General Lee said:
You were probably one of the guys who lost in front of the Supreme Court.

...(buzzer sounds)...Wrong again!.. Still Captain and luving it. Got a ways to go, too! With as many at-bats as you've had, G.L., you realize three strikes and you're out, right???

Last edited:
Hi!

For years, lots of over age 60 airline pilots have been flying into the US already, as many foreign countries either have no age limit, or they have one that is over age 60.

At our company, we are planning on pilots flying to age 65 beginning Nov/Dec of this year. I don't know any of the details, but some of our mgmt believe the FAA will change their regs to match ICAO.

All of the congressional/court actions don't apply in this case. They were all to force the FAA to change their regs. The FAA can always change their regs when they want to, which is what I have been led to believe will happen.

The only problem I have with it is why is their an age limit at all. Many of us, like myself, can't get SocSec/Medicaire at age 65. I'll have to wait to age 67. As our population ages, the SS/M age will have to be moved, and will end up being at least in the 70s, or maybe even later than that.

It is unfair to make pilots retire before they can collect SocSec/Medicaire.

Cliff
GRB

atpcliff said:
The only problem I have with it is why is their an age limit at all. Many of us, like myself, can't get SocSec/Medicaire at age 65. I'll have to wait to age 67. As our population ages, the SS/M age will have to be moved, and will end up being at least in the 70s, or maybe even later than that.

Cliff
GRB

Another "FLY TILL YOU DIE" advocate! LOL!!

Cliff, it's called planning for your future pal and it includes planning for your financial future. Start today with a savings account and some professional financial advice. That way when you turn 60 you won't be reliant on the government (your fellow citizens) for your survival. I know it sounds scary ... providing for yourself and all ... but you'll be better for it Cliff. Good luck.

BBB

once again idiotic statements by the general......

General Lee said:
The Supreme Court disagrees with you. They ruled against a group of Southwest pilots who wanted the rules changed. They stated that they would have to change the rules for more groups, like firemen and policemen. I don't want a 62 year old fireman carrying me out of a burning house. Nope.

this guy is a tool......how physical is flying an airplane, not like carrying a person or going to eat donuts before taking care of a domestic call. someone who is a senior pilot already has enough medical checks to warrent changing the rules!

atpcliff said:
Hi!

For years, lots of over age 60 airline pilots have been flying into the US already, as many foreign countries either have no age limit, or they have one that is over age 60.

At our company, we are planning on pilots flying to age 65 beginning Nov/Dec of this year. I don't know any of the details, but some of our mgmt believe the FAA will change their regs to match ICAO.

All of the congressional/court actions don't apply in this case. They were all to force the FAA to change their regs. The FAA can always change their regs when they want to, which is what I have been led to believe will happen.

Cliff
GRB

How about firemen and policemen? Is it unfair to make them retire too before that age? Do you want 64 year old cops running after gang members in NYC? That would be interesting.

But, there are positions available for over age 60 pilots here in the US that allows for more safety for larger groups (airliners). There is corporate flying, banner towing, traffic watch, CFI'ing, and sim instructing. Turning age 60 does not mean you have to quit aviation totally.

Bye Bye--General Lee

xjhawk said:
General Lee said:
The Supreme Court disagrees with you. They ruled against a group of Southwest pilots who wanted the rules changed. They stated that they would have to change the rules for more groups, like firemen and policemen. I don't want a 62 year old fireman carrying me out of a burning house. Nope.

this guy is a tool......how physical is flying an airplane, not like carrying a person or going to eat donuts before taking care of a domestic call. someone who is a senior pilot already has enough medical checks to warrent changing the rules!

You're the idiot. You obviously haven't flown with any super old Captains at Mesaba. How physical is flying an airplane? How about flying across thousands of timezones throughout your 30 plus years as a pilot? Ever seen a Captain fall asleep right after takeoff? A cockpit isn't supposed to be your couch near the TV, as many senior captains think. Maybe flying in your Saab is different, but not over here and at long haul flying. Think before you type, and ask people who have experience in this area before making idiotic statements yourself. Just because it may not be "physically" tough flying planes, doesn't mean it isn't tough on your body after 30 years. Will they fall asleep in the doctor's office every 6 months? Doubtful. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back