OVER 60 Foreign Pilots to fly as PIC in USA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stay out of my pockets

Unless you refused to take a new hire or upgrade class date as a Moral stand against the Age 60 rule, you are a hypocrite. Plain and simple. You wouldn't be where you are if it wasn't for retirements. You can boo hoo about the industry all day long, but when you had the chance to put your money where your mouth is, you put the money in your pocket.

You knew the rules when you started. If you wanted to work past 60, you should've gotten a job in Canada. You chose to stay here, deal with it.

One thing you forgot in your calculations, the 30-year old pilot that started his career and was furloughed and won't get back if baby-boomers who severely outnumber his generation get an extra five years.

At least you're man enough to admit that you want my money to support your ex-wife instead of claiming its all about age discrimination.

Last edited:
Hamburger said:
Unless you refused to take a new hire or upgrade class date as a Moral stand against the Age 60 rule, you are a hypocrite. Plain and simple. You wouldn't be where you are if it wasn't for retirements. You can boo hoo about the industry all day long, but when you had the chance to put your money where your mouth is, you put the money in your pocket.

You knew the rules when you started. If you wanted to work past 60, you should've gotten a job in Canada. You chose to stay here, deal with it.

One thing you forgot in your calculations, the 30-year old pilot that started his career and was furloughed and won't get back if baby-boomers who severely outnumber his generation get an extra five years.

At least you're man enough to admit that you want my money to support your ex-wife instead of claiming its all about age discrimination.

The above post is total crap...

Quote by Hamburger:

There is no hypocrisy here. Take the first interview, class date, promotion and retire when you have enough cash. That's called life. Hit the EASY button.

Quote by Hamburger:

This is ridiculous. The rules included a defined benefit program. Now there is none. Plus, Canadians were not allowed to fly in the USA at that time. Also, Canada doesn't hire Americans.

Quote by Hamburger:

Mathematically all furloughees will be recalled. It may be later but they will be able to work longer. Their total earning will be greater by the ability to work longer, until 65.

Quote by Hamburger:
At least you're man enough to admit that you want my money to support your ex-wife instead of claiming its all about age discrimination

Personally I have just one wife by good luck. But others may have bad luck here through no fault of their own. Or they may have financial problems from sick children or other tragedies. Shouldn't they have a right to earn a living in their trade? Or do you advocate that such people should just drive the airport limo so a young person can get to his dream job sooner? And haul the bags for those pilots like you and the Canadians, the Chinese and others.

Hamburger, I mean no disrespect, but your thoughts are very short sighted.

Age 60 quote:

If the law is to deny a person employment, there must be a rational, solid, scientific body of evidence in support of the denial such that the denial is based on bona fide occupational qualifications. In fact, there is no such body of evidence to deny a pilot employment past age 60.

aussiefly said:
[/font][/size][/color][/i]

You know I take your point about the retirement age but that above comment makes you look like a complete jerk off.

but its true you kiwi wannabe

UndauntedFlyer said:
On March 11, 2006, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) met and in a nearly unanimous vote, decided to increase the airline pilot retirement age for ICAO member nations’ pilots from age-60 to age-65.

What that means is this: Effective November 23, 2006, the United States will be legally required to respect the new age-65 limitation and allow all foreign airline pilots from any member nation to operate in our airspace. Pilots over age-60 from ICAO member nations will be able to fly to and from all of our airports. Senior pilots from Canada, Mexico, China, Japan, Korea, Iran, Syria, Israel, Jordan, Pakistan, India, Brazil and all European nations except France (France requires all workers to retire at 60), will have a right by United States law to fly into and throughout the United States, but US citizens who are the same age will not be able to fly at all. Instead of working for a living at their professions, our pilots that turn age-60 and are employed by U.S. airlines such as Southwest, Jet Blue, US Air, United, Delta, American and Northwest will all be grounded by FAA regulation. Pilots from all other countries will have a right to make a living flying to and from American airports but American pilots will have no such right. American pilots who are over age-60, no matter that they may be in excellent health, will instead eventually become a burden on the government guaranteed and financially strapped PBGC as well as the Social Security system when they turn 62. This is all the result of a nearly 50-year old FAA regulation that hasn't keep pace with the rest of the world. Even though our pilots are just as healthy, better trained and more experienced than any foreign pilot flying into this country, this outdated regulation still applies? Why should foreign pilots be allowed to fly into American airports to earn their livings when an American taxpaying family man can not do the same thing? No matter the politics, the principals of equal rights and laws against discrimination should apply here, especially for American’s over foreign workers that pay no U.S. taxes.

The airline pilots who are turning age-60 today and in the next few years are mostly former military veterans, many of whom flew combat missions over Vietnam in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s, some even fought in Desert Storm. That means that many of our most respected citizens, the military veterans who have fought for our country are being grounded every day by bureaucracy in government combined with a labor issue. The time for change on the age-60 rule is long overdue.

i understand the rule bout if your dual citizenship with the US and somewhere else..what happens then?

Hamburger said:
Unless you refused to take a new hire or upgrade class date as a Moral stand against the Age 60 rule, you are a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

To follow your line of reasoning (??!!), all those who want to retire before 60 are hypocrites then, too....right???

Or,...(!)...we just won't count them as hypocrites because those guys/gals who want to retire early will quicken my goals of a faster upgrade!!!??

skengdon said:
i understand the rule bout if your dual citizenship with the US and somewhere else..what happens then?

The rule really has nothing to do with citizenship. If you hold a foreign pilot certificate and fly an airplane registered in that country then the certification rules of that country apply as long as that country's rules are within the ICAO age and certification standards. So if you hold a Canadian pilot certificate and fly a Canadian registered airplane then you can fly in the USA or anywhere else in the world to age 65 as an airline captain.

Last edited:
The United States has more ICAO exceptions than any other member state. Something tells me there may be yet another exemption.

'Sled

Move your butt outta my seat pappy your slowing the gravy train down..

jobear said:
Move your butt outta my seat pappy your slowing the gravy train down..

I like the gravy. Don't you? Is the law just so younger pilots can be promoted?

Latest resources

Back