Outlook for SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Originally Posted by AFcitrus
At the risk of setting off a firestorm... here goes. I have heard recently from two reliable sources (one within AAI management and the other from a reputable Aviation media source) that there will be a signifigant shift in ownership of 717's over the next couple of years. That ownership shift is going to be in the form of a merger between AAI and either AA or SWA. I am told that AAI would fight an AA merger but would welcome a SWA merger. Having said that, how do you folks from SWA think an integration would go? Serious answers only please. If you can't contribute intelligently to the conversation (w/o flamebait), please keep your comments to yourself.

Thanks

Significant shift in ownership of the 717's. It should be obvious! We are going to trade them in on E-190's at the 40% discount in pay our union "negotiated" for us.

Thursday to BoarJuly 26, 5:36 pm ET Average Plane Ticket Prices Fall in 1Q
Thursday July 26, 5:15 pm ET Average Air Fares Drift Down a Little in the First Quarter

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The average price of a plane ticket on U.S. airlines fell slightly in the first quarter from year-ago levels, a new government report said.
The average price of a domestic round-trip plane ticket was $380 in the fourth quarter, down 0.6 percent from the same quarter last year, the Transportation Department's Bureau of Transportation Statistics said Wednesday.
[SIZE=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/SIZE]
if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['E4Q6AdG_Ru0-']='&U=13b5o6h1p%2fN%3dE4Q6AdG_Ru0-%2fC%3d571484.10986587.11567416.1435155%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d4327978';Fares were unchanged from the fourth quarter of last year and were still about $42 below highs reached in early 2001. Among major airports, the highest fares were found in Cincinnati; Anchorage, Alaska; Honolulu; San Francisco and at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport.
The lowest were found at Dallas Love Field, Chicago Midway Airport, Houston's Hobby Airport, and the airports at Islip, N.Y. and Buffalo, N.Y.
Shares of U.S. airlines lost altitude Thursday along with the broader market. U.S. Airways Group Inc., Midwest Air Group Inc. and Alaska Air Group Inc. posted declines in their second-quarter earnings as they struggled with high fuel prices. US Airways shares fell 7 cents to $34.50 in after-hours trading after falling 27 cents to close at $34.57. Midwest Air rose 1 cent to $13 after the close. Shares finished 91 cents, or 6.5 percent, lower in the regular session at $12.99. Shares of Alaska Air fell $2.78

By Beth J. Harpaz, AP Travel Editor Southwest Airlines Experimenting With Various Ways of Boarding Families

Why the hell is LBB, AMA, HRL, OMA, and all the rest of General Lee's bitchs not in this list. Oh yeah, We must get paid more to go to these places than destinations in Europe. Places where he can "relax". General you keep Amesterdam, we will keep the pay check.

Last edited:
I try to stay out of the pi$$ing matches on here, but this is one argument I've never understood.

You guys keep bringing up our 20 min turns and saying they're a negative.

Please explain how doing longer turns is a positive.

Well, I don't like 3 hour turns anymore than you would, but I'm not exactly fond of the idea of 20 minute turns either. I like enough time to take a piss and grab a sandwich occasionally. Most of our turns are 35-45 minutes, which I think is just about right. Not wasting much time, but still enough time to take care of things. I just don't understand how you guys can stand doing those 20 minute turns constantly.

Anatomy of a 20 minute turn.

On the decent you call back and see if the FA's want anything. Usually they don't, unless you're buying, at which point they ask if there is a Ruths Chris in the airport.

Taxi in. Get the cash from the cappy. He offers to get the clearance.

Checklist. I'm outta here. Try to get off before granny in row one wobbles into the isle cause she'll be hanging onto both sides of the door, dramatically slowing your departure.

Scoot up the jetway while turing on your cellphone and slicking back your hair, sucking in your gut and picking the peanuts out of your teeth.

Slide into line at XXX and order up. While the order is being prepped you must collect all utensiles and condiments or it will further delay your turn. Also call wifie to check in.

Down the jetway and on the jet in 8 minutes. Not bad. Give out change and give your drink order to the FA as your closing the lav door.

Ask the FA for a can of water to wash the soap from your hands because they added potable water and depressurized the system.

Jump in the seat. Cappy asks for the checklist at which point you realize he didn't get the clearance.

Get the clearance. Ops tosses in the loadsheet. Run your flow, punch the numbers and run the checklist. Release brakes and start pushing. After you've blocked the alley you call for push.

Take off and repeat as neccessary.

Poetry in motion.

Gup

Bravo! And that people, it how it is done. I can do six legs in 8 hours and 20 minutes.

That's a great anatomy and I'm glad it works, but there are a few potential pit falls in rushing like that.

1. Can't greet the pax as they exit/enter the A/C. Where's the LUV?

2. You may have missed that bird strike because no one did the walk around and now MX is on the way 2 minutes prior to departure because they caught it, looked for the CA and took the logbook.

3. The CA, unfamilar with the airport programmed the wrong runway and the FO didn't review it. You fix it after T/O.

4. In a rush to run flows and checklists, no one entered the squak code.

5. You forgot the salsa for the FA's and they are salty.

On the other hand, you don't get paid for sitting on the ground.

Last edited:
I know we're on duty for 12+hours to get 6-7 hours pay... From what i understand- the average trip at southwest is a 3 day flying 7/day,crediting 24+ w/ consistent showtimes and a 9hour duty day. Layover 15 hours and repeat.... I can work hard and w/ quick turns for years on end when my sleep pattern is good ,i know i'll get 4 days off and no day won't be so long that i'm completely wrecked.

Latest resources

Back