• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Outlook for SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Something else that is getting under-reported is the unsustainably low costs the Legacys are enjoying right now. Even with gutted labor contracts (that will only increase with time) and operations that seem held together with duct tape & bailing wire from all the staff cuts (that will have to be replaced to improve service), they STILL can't get their CASM in line with SWA. :beer:

P.S. Will you guys please STOP FEEDING THE TROLL...err...GENERAL! If we ignore him maybe he will finally go away. :smash:

Finally you have broken the code!

Bye Bye--General Lee

My attraction to my SWA flying is quite simple. I am Lazy. DAL-HOU-HRL-HOU-DAL-LBB-DAL-AUS ain't nothing compared to dealing with customs. I don't want to do paperwork or try to read a menu that I cannot understand or deal with folks that speak funny. Give me LBB, AMA, OKC, anywhere in Texas, Oklahoma, Texas, and Oklahoma with an occasional ABQ turn and I'm a happy dude. Everywhere else the food is colorful, full of nutrients, expensive, and the folks talk weird and don't say ma'am or sir.

Of all of the cool cities that I have visited in my short career, here and abroad, I have found only one thing that matters to me. Do I enjoy what I am doing? All have been yes and Southwest I have just enjoyed more. The check is great too. For what it is worth, I went to Texas Tech in Lubbock, TX and the scenery and local talent is the best there is.

With regard to our outlook............I don't know. If I had to be on a sinking ship looking for shore I want Gary C. Kelly drivin' the boat.

Hey BBB I'm not at all afraid of foriegn countries. Matter of fact I was just in El Paso last night.

Gup

Gup... you're one of the fun ones on here. You have a sense of humor and give 'em crap when it's due. Wish I could buy you a strange malted beverage in a foreign land. In the end we all want the same... bend our chicks over and "show 'em a glorious time"... followed by a little chest thumping and fermented beverage!

Mrs. BBB has never accused me of being a "complex" creature! :p

BBB

At the risk of setting off a firestorm... here goes. I have heard recently from two reliable sources (one within AAI management and the other from a reputable Aviation media source) that there will be a signifigant shift in ownership of 717's over the next couple of years. That ownership shift is going to be in the form of a merger between AAI and either AA or SWA. I am told that AAI would fight an AA merger but would welcome a SWA merger. Having said that, how do you folks from SWA think an integration would go? Serious answers only please. If you can't contribute intelligently to the conversation (w/o flamebait), please keep your comments to yourself.

Thanks

If you can't contribute intelligently to the conversation (w/o flamebait), please keep your comments to yourself.

Thanks

A nice subtle entrance into the conversation... :rolleyes:

BBB

Genital in one...two...three....... Here, I'll save you the trouble buddy.
SWA will be doomed, you will rot in LBB,AMA,MAF and HRL. Your leather jackets are corny, and your pay will be no match for mother Delta.

Come over here and fly to Rome, Moscow and watch an autopilot for 12 hours while you share bunkbeds being served champagne. Our double breasted jackets are severe chick magnets (especially in Moscow) except for the occasional chick with Krueger flaps installed on her back. We got married anyway.

Oh yea, if we go into BK again, dude, you'll make like 170,000 dollars to fund whatever you want. The moeny just keeps rolling in this place. It's a gold mine.

Something like that..............

Last edited:
My attraction to my SWA flying is quite simple. I am Lazy. DAL-HOU-HRL-HOU-DAL-LBB-DAL-AUS ain't nothing compared to dealing with customs. I don't want to do paperwork or try to read a menu that I cannot understand or deal with folks that speak funny. Give me LBB, AMA, OKC, anywhere in Texas, Oklahoma, Texas, and Oklahoma with an occasional ABQ turn and I'm a happy dude. Everywhere else the food is colorful, full of nutrients, expensive, and the folks talk weird and don't say ma'am or sir.
And with the extra 5 days off a month, you can relax in ATL with the General's wife and your kiddos.....

FWIW, here's what I predict:

SWA will go international on a small scale within the next five years. It wouldn't surprise me to see SWA eventually order a widebody aircraft to further their international expansion if the initial routes are successful.

SWA, Continental, and Boeing will announce the development and initial orders for the 737 follow-on. This will likely happen sometime in 2009-10 with initial deliveries occurring in the 2013-15 timeframe. This aircraft (797?) will be based on 787 technology but will improve upon it's efficiencies. This aircraft may feature a dual-aisle configuration to improve boarding times and passenger comfort.

SWA will implement wireless internet service sometime in the next 18 months.

SWA will make efforts to improve their revenues with expansion of their cargo operation. It seems like it would make sense to me to increase fleet utilization by flying cargo at night (red eyes).

Upgrade time will stretch to between 8 and 12 years depending on how bad the current and future dry spells are. Subtract 3-5 years if age 65 does not happen.

An AirTran merger may make sense. I'm not sure. It wouldn't surprise me if it did happen, but for some reason, I'm thinking it won't.

Here's what I recommend that I haven't heard talked about: MAKE IT A POINT TO HIRE ATTRACTIVE FLIGHT ATTENDANTS! Seriously. And put them in attractive uniforms. Really. As a guy, if I knew there was a good chance I would get to look at nice-looking flight attendants on a SWA flight vs a Brand X flight, I'd definitely be willing to pony up an extra $5 to $20 for the privilege.

Well, I commuted on SWA for 10 of my 15 or so years at TWA.

The SWA pilots, FA's and agents were always great and treated me like I worked there.

The Delta pilots acted like their $h!t didn't stink and wouldn't even acknowlege your presence on the rare occasion they opted to ride in the same hotel van as the riff-raff.

Gee, which company would I rather work for... :rolleyes: TC

Here's what I recommend that I haven't heard talked about: MAKE IT A POINT TO HIRE ATTRACTIVE FLIGHT ATTENDANTS! Seriously. And put them in attractive uniforms. Really. As a guy, if I knew there was a good chance I would get to look at nice-looking flight attendants on a SWA flight vs a Brand X flight, I'd definitely be willing to pony up an extra $5 to $20 for the privilege.

I have been preaching this point on line for a couple of years. This would acomplish a few things:

-Increase revenue
-Attract more business travelers
-Take the spotlight off inflight entertainment
-Increase moral across the board

Is there any other management move that could achieve all that?

Latest resources

Back