• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Outlook for SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

That really spells it out, huh? Thanks for the link there. And thanks to everyone else that took time to bring up great points about SWA- there are indeed MANY great things about the LUV machine. To answer someone's earlier question, I'm definitely serious about working at SWA (esp. once I meet the PIC minimums); I'm not on here to just for an opinion poll because I'm unsure whether I want to work there.

And General Lee, thanks for your input, too. I don't so much care where overnights are. I don't think I'd always have the attention span for overseas flights all the time. I will concede Amsterdam is cooler than Lubbock or Omaha. Plus, I live right around the corner from BWI.

Later,
Snaab

Ah yes, ANC was great, again. I had some real Alaskan King Crab legs. Wow. Just got back from Trader Joe's and got some real Alaskan King Crab. 15 minutes from home, no jet lag, and work for a company that pilots drive 80mph to get to work and 40mph home.
And yes, Delta makes you pay for your hotel or pad after the first two weeks, way to hold up the bar. but then Delta pays for hotels at every hot spot in Europe, South America, Asia, and everywhere EXCEPT LBB, MAF, AMA, and HRL. If you want to see the world on someone else's dime, come to Delta. If you want the chance to see Midland or Lubbock, go to Southwest.

Have a great one 328 dude.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You got nothin' Genital Lee. Same rhetoric, no debating, and a complete panty waste.

As someone who desperately wants to be a part of SWA one day, I'm inquiring about the current outlook of the airline and how they are positioning themselves to stay competitive and grow.

I was talking to a friend recently who ran into a SWA f/o, and my friend picked his brain about what's up there. Anyhow, some concerns the f/o mentioned were: upgrade time was going to grow considerably, deliveries were slowing down a lot in '08, and no one is sure what'll happen when the 737 production line shuts down.

I always take rumors, etc., with a grain of salt, but I was curious what take SWA pilots have on this. It won't keep me from wanting to work there at all, but I wanted your candid point of view- just trying to stay informed. Thanks a lot!

I think that mgmt is doing what they have to do to make sure the entity not only survives...but thrives...thats a good thing.

This is not the first time that SWA has slowed growth...or offered early outs in our history. In fact, I do remember a time when SWA actually stopped growth altogether...but not for long.

What I like about this place is the culture of taking care of the employees. I see examples of that regularly. While past performance is no guarantee of future gains, one must look at the history of this place...including the management team. All "home grown". Herb is stepping down due to his confidence in how Gary is doing things. Notice there has only been one CEO in SWA's history who came from another airline....he didn't last long and left SWA to take the helm at the original Braniff.

Bottom line...the company is doing what they have to do without taking it from the employees ( as they have stated). In my opinion...why say it if you don't mean it...right? At other companies...they would be going after the employees and their benefits as a business strategy...we've seen it before.

After wasting many years at a legacy airline, I kick myself for not coming here sooner. I LUV it here...yes, even the LBB, MAF, HRL and AMA layovers...to me flying an airplane is flying an airplane is flying an airplane....other companies have the same type airplanes...but can't match the financial numbers that SWA has ( =security), nor the pilot productivity (=company/SWAPA no longer want to talk PBS at the table), nor the employee loyalty that we enjoy here...because that loyalty is a 2 way street at SWA.

FWIW, here's what I predict:

SWA will go international on a small scale within the next five years. It wouldn't surprise me to see SWA eventually order a widebody aircraft to further their international expansion if the initial routes are successful.

SWA, Continental, and Boeing will announce the development and initial orders for the 737 follow-on. This will likely happen sometime in 2009-10 with initial deliveries occurring in the 2013-15 timeframe. This aircraft (797?) will be based on 787 technology but will improve upon it's efficiencies. This aircraft may feature a dual-aisle configuration to improve boarding times and passenger comfort.

SWA will implement wireless internet service sometime in the next 18 months.

SWA will make efforts to improve their revenues with expansion of their cargo operation. It seems like it would make sense to me to increase fleet utilization by flying cargo at night (red eyes).

Upgrade time will stretch to between 8 and 12 years depending on how bad the current and future dry spells are. Subtract 3-5 years if age 65 does not happen.

An AirTran merger may make sense. I'm not sure. It wouldn't surprise me if it did happen, but for some reason, I'm thinking it won't.

Here's what I recommend that I haven't heard talked about: MAKE IT A POINT TO HIRE ATTRACTIVE FLIGHT ATTENDANTS! Seriously. And put them in attractive uniforms. Really. As a guy, if I knew there was a good chance I would get to look at nice-looking flight attendants on a SWA flight vs a Brand X flight, I'd definitely be willing to pony up an extra $5 to $20 for the privilege.
I think they have been hiring more "old bags" lately in the hopes that it'll make contract negotations go more smoothly in the future.

You got nothin' Genital Lee. Same rhetoric, no debating, and a complete panty waste.

Seems like he is the one providing facts, and you can't seem to debate him. Can you deny what he says about the routes, the turn times, the multiple leg days, or even the single aircraft type? Some people don't like those things. Let the personal attacks begin...

, the turn times,

I try to stay out of the pi$$ing matches on here, but this is one argument I've never understood.

You guys keep bringing up our 20 min turns and saying they're a negative.

Please explain how doing longer turns is a positive.

You don't get paid for turns.

The airplane doesn't generate revenue for the company.

Long turn times are a waste of time, plain and simple.

At the risk of setting off a firestorm... here goes. I have heard recently from two reliable sources (one within AAI management and the other from a reputable Aviation media source) that there will be a signifigant shift in ownership of 717's over the next couple of years. That ownership shift is going to be in the form of a merger between AAI and either AA or SWA. I am told that AAI would fight an AA merger but would welcome a SWA merger. Having said that, how do you folks from SWA think an integration would go? Serious answers only please. If you can't contribute intelligently to the conversation (w/o flamebait), please keep your comments to yourself.

Thanks

I think a SWA/AAI merger makes sense.

As long as I never ever, EVER have to go back to ATL.

Seems like he is the one providing facts, and you can't seem to debate him. Can you deny what he says about the routes, the turn times, the multiple leg days, or even the single aircraft type? Some people don't like those things. Let the personal attacks begin...

(Waiting for your other usernames to chime in next):rolleyes:

Wasn't too long.:laugh:

You guys keep bringing up our 20 min turns and saying they're a negative.

It's actually one guy, General Lee. He has a bad case of ADD and keeps forgetting he already responded.

At the risk of setting off a firestorm... here goes. I have heard recently from two reliable sources (one within AAI management and the other from a reputable Aviation media source) that there will be a signifigant shift in ownership of 717's over the next couple of years. That ownership shift is going to be in the form of a merger between AAI and either AA or SWA. I am told that AAI would fight an AA merger but would welcome a SWA merger. Having said that, how do you folks from SWA think an integration would go? Serious answers only please. If you can't contribute intelligently to the conversation (w/o flamebait), please keep your comments to yourself.

Thanks

I think one only needs to look at the Morris (Dec 31, 1993) and Muse Air (June 25, 1985) acquisitions to see how they treat people. I think they make an honest to goodness effort to screw as few as possible, BUT make no mistake about it, they will take care of the pilots on their own seniority list first when it comes down to it. Cheers, klr

Latest resources

Back