• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Outlook for SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GuppyWN, if that works for you, then good on you, man. For me, though, that just sounds way too rushed and stressful. I'd rather have the extra 20 minutes to relax and take it slow. I can turn a plane in 15-20 minutes if necessary because we were late coming in, but I don't want to have to do it consistently. To each their own.

You can get the job done in 5 minutes with out being rushed. Its not rocket science boyz. On a 25 minute turn I am often chatting with the FA's, welcoming the folks, going to the honey pot etc. etc.. I guess each to his own.

Awesome GUP..... Less time looking cool in the terminal leaves more time on the beach.

Let's go.....

90% of the time we are ten minutes early with a 25 minute turn equalling 35 minutes. Cockpit setup is 5 minutes max. That leaves 29.5 minutes of " Do whatever you want" time and 30 seconds running the checklist prior to push. Walk arounds by the pilots are only done on crew changes, originators, and at the end of the day.

To answer the original question, there's a lot of misinformation on this thread and this forum in general (or should I say in general lee) regarding what a SWA day is like. I have flown here almost 3 years and have had 0 overnights in AMA, HRL, and LBB. The one in HRL was a blast becuase of the 3 hotties we were with. Average trips per day around 3, perhaps a little higher out of Dallas. 10-yr upgrade not accurate, probably around 6. GK recently spoke at a PT in Dallas and the theme was "stand by and fasten your seatbelts. change is a-comin'." Things will probably look significantly different around here this time 2 yrs from now.

The best advice to anyone is this: don't listen to morons who define quality of life by rushing to their computer every day when they get back from their trip to log on to flt info and respond to questions on southwest threads with the same tired BS about us flying 6 legs a day and overnighting in LBB all the time. (Never done either.)

I see your points and I had the same questions when I started.

1. Can't greet the pax as they exit/enter the A/C. Where's the LUV?

After 3 trips it all fell into place. I have enough time to stand in the jetway and fold up strollers and help people with wheelchairs. I don't have any kids, but I never realized what kind of Rube Golderberg machines manufacturers came up with when designing strollers. I'm starting to get the pattern of push this button, fold this, latch this, and finally clip that.

2. You may have missed that bird strike because no one did the walk around and now MX is on the way 2 minutes prior to departure because they caught it, looked for the CA and took the logbook.

That's what the orange is for...birds can see us and know we're coming.

3. The CA, unfamilar with the airport programmed the wrong runway and the FO didn't review it. You fix it after T/O.

I hope the Captain is familiar with the airport. I mean we only have 63 cities (right now). In three months I made it to over 50 them, and I have still yet to see LBB, AMA, MAF, or HRL. Just hasn't been in my cards. Maybe someday though...

4. In a rush to run flows and checklists, no one entered the squak code.

It happens, but no more so when I did 45 min turns at the regionals. We're all human. I try to keep a good flow and there are a couple of checks in our briefings which allow you to catch it, so it's fairly rare.

5. You forgot the salsa for the FA's and they are salty.

Now, isn't that the truth. That's where you've got to be quick on your toes and have a secret stash of chocolate. At least you'll get some coffee or a Dr. Pepper on the next leg.

On the other hand, you don't get paid for sitting on the ground.

You're right about that. In addition to that it translates into more time off at home with decent pay.

I thought 25 minute turns were going to be tough, but SWA has pefected the system to the point that that I was part of a crew that turned an almost full aircraft in 18 mins to get back on schedule. I was a little amazed how it worked. It takes a lot of help from everyone, but it can be done.

A level playing field will favor the network carriers. SWA used to be able to enjoy pricing power because it hedged fuel and the majors couldn't compete with low fares. As ticket prices rise, other carriers will put pressure on SWA. How much? We'll see.

In the past, as fuel prices rose, fares actually dropped as the airlines were trying to kill eachother over market share. I hope those days are behind us.

If you think that fuel hedging is the only thing that gives SWA its pricing power then you will continue to be shocked at our sucess.

FWIW.... General... I always get a chuckle out of your posts! The SWA guys as a group are absolutely scared to death to leave the CONUS... end of story.
Been there done that - and I have absolutly zero to prove to you.

Their fear is disguised as bravado... how they love Amarillo... or don't want to be caught dead in Sydney (because they're to far from home???...)

Fact is... international flying (ETOPS/alternate/ China/polar considerations) does add an element they're no doubt unfamiliar with but it's not Voodoo magic like many of them speak of.)

You think that a significant portion of our pilot population hasn't already done this? Fool.

International flying can be an absolute hoot (with a good crew, as anywhere) and is a great way to see the world and experience things you wouldn't otherwise stateside (pyramids, castles, pubs, cathedrals, etc... ad nauseum)

Personally, after having been privileged to visit over 80 countries/territories SO FAR... I wouldn't trade it for the world! I think I am blessed to have a much broader perspective on world events than some of my neighbors.

YMMV,

BBB

BBB, I'm really happy you like what you do. It is a shame you feel the need to denigrate what someone else does in order to feel good about your self. Get a shrink.

Yeah, but the chicks dig our Russian Boat Commander uniforms. They swoon when they think we are going to CONQUER THE SKIES!! :) It looks professional, rather than James Dean-ish.

And, I would love to get off this topic, but anyone who slams me gets a retort. You know that is how I operate. Have a good night.

Bye Bye--General Lee

So now every one else is to blame for your behavior? Take some responsibility for your actions. Schedule a session with BBB's shrink.

Latest resources

Back