Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Out of AVIATION 6 YEARS; any ADVICE HOW TO GET BACK? ANYONE?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
agreed. this might be the best time for you to jump back in. after a few sim sessions, you'll be good to go!

Thanks for the heads-up on Air Inc in Atlanta Nov 17!
I'll be there!
ONE QUESTION...what do you (or anyone for that matter) think about going to Flight Safety or SimulFlite in Dallas to do all the recurrent IFR training AS WELL as maybe getting a type rating at the same time? NO IDEA what would be the best aircraft for a type rating...but AGAIN...recency of Flight Experience still might haunt me regardless...
Any suggestions, thoughts or ideas?
Type rating? Get CURRENT and QUALIFIED in a King Air 350 maybe?
Of course depends on HOW MUCH??? Can this be done for less than $10K?
Thanks again...
Rob

I am not aware of any initial that you can get for under 10K. Recurrent on a 90 will be almost that much.

Simcom might be more affordable.

You might try Guardian up in Alaska, www.guardianflight.com. They operate King Air 200's and Lear 35's. They operate the 200's with two pilots. 2 weeks on call, 2 weeks off. They are hiring. I would think you would have a good chance since you have Alaska time and King Air time.

Good luck.

SV

I'm in much the same situation as you, Rob. Recurrents are going for about 10K in most types at FSI & SimuFlite. As the man says, try SimCom.

You don't even want to know what Initial to type costs for most airplanes. Yikes!

I had a friend get hired at Colgan after being out of aviation for about 5 years. They did a sim check and he did great.
I had another friend get out of aviatoin for about 3 years, got hired off the street as a Captain at Freedom (MESA), and was their about 1.5 years, then got on with Gemini with no connectins. Now is an excellent time to get hired. Piedmonts minimums are multi/comm!
Even if you went the regional route just to get current, then looked around for a corporate gig. The regional lifestyle sucks, but you start right away. If I was in your shoes, I would seriously consider getting current and if I have the minimums going to Netjets, much better quality of life compared to a regional, and somewhat better pay too. Just my opinion though. Best of luck.
Coastinout

I flew with a guy within the past 2 years who had been out of aviation for 14 years!!..Yep, 14!....He was doing some sort of banking job and was about to slit both wrists. (had a bunch of previous time in 421's, single pilot, etc)

He jumped back in the saddle no problem whatsoever, did fine in a few days worth of sim sessions, and good to go! (although the company payed for all training, etc).

Here's some good advice....don't!

DON'T EVER PAY FOR TRAINING. Don't ever offer to pay. Several 135 operators out west (CA,AZ,NV) are hiring. They'll pay for your training and all your expenses. If you come across one that won't, move on.

Latest resources

Back