Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Out of AVIATION 6 YEARS; any ADVICE HOW TO GET BACK? ANYONE?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RobHG

Greetings and thanks for reading my post.
I am an ATP pilot with about 3,800 hours, CFII/MEI and some 135 experience flying Chieftains in Alaska, and for Air Ambulance flying a King Air C-90 in Kansas; both single pilot operations....However, I have been out of aviation now for the past six years now.
Can anyone suggest the best method for getting back?
I would GLADLY pay for my training "ANYWHERE" to get back in the saddle.
DOES ANYONE KNOW if there is ANY COMPANY out there that 'might' hire someone as myself if I paid for my own training or for went through Flight Safety and got current or a type rating an aircraft a 'prospective' company flies?
For example...I talked to a company yesterday and they said they fly King Airs but all pilots must go through Flight Safety...
Realistically, if I were to go to Flight Safety and pay for example the King Air training....would anyone out there be willing to hire me off that particular training from Flight Safety with no previous flying time in the last 6 years?
I WILL GO ANYWHERE where there is an opportunity.
Any FBO's with a BUSY 135 CHARTER department where I could get current again and possibly get a foot in the door?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Email is [email protected]
Thanks and fly safe!
Rob

Realistically, if I were to go to Flight Safety and pay for example the King Air training....would anyone out there be willing to hire me off that particular training from Flight Safety with no previous flying time in the last 6 years?

In my opinion, yes. If you're current, you're current. In fact, you'd probably be more current than guys who haven't had the FSI in a while. See if "pilotyip" chimes in. He was out of aviation for about 6 years as well, and is now heavily back into it. Good Luck!

First- don't be so quick to volunteer to pay for training. I look at resumes and it turns me off to see that, it makes the applicant look a little desperate which is no more attractive in employment than in dating.

I'm not one of those "Pay for training is evil! EVIL!" guys but look at it this way- your training is hardly the most expensive item in operating the airplane. Any complicated or critical part costs more. If they can't afford to train you, they can't afford to fix the plane if it breaks. And if they don't want to pay for your training because those ungrateful bastard pilots keep leaving, what does that say about them?

What have you been doing for the last six years? Why did you get out of flying, and why do you want to get back into it now? If you didn't like, or couldn't handle the job for some reason six years ago, what makes you think things are different now?

This is how a potential employer looks at it, so be prepared to answer these kinds of questions. You need a cover letter explaining these things to get your resume looked at.

The primary thing that comes to mind is your instrument proficiency. Plenty of companies might hire someone in your situation, but you should make sure your instrument game is tuned up to ATP level. Any company will have to take you through their flight training program, but, whether in-house or Flight Safety, they won't want to spend extra Hobbs hours on you while you re-learn IFR basics.
It wouldn't hurt to get some refresher training in a twin, but that might not be necessary. A good sim (AST300 or such), or even some Bonanza time might be sufficient.
I'd further suggest a thorough review of Part 135 (or 121) regs, and if you can get a copy of some carrier's OpSpecs for study purposes, that would help as well.
Basically, you can't change the chronological flying gap in your resume, but you can certainly get your flying and knowledge skills up to "current and proficient" levels. Good luck!

I'm not one of those "Pay for training is evil! EVIL!" guys but look at it this way- your training is hardly the most expensive item in operating the airplane. Any complicated or critical part costs more. If they can't afford to train you, they can't afford to fix the plane if it breaks. And if they don't want to pay for your training because those ungrateful bastard pilots keep leaving, what does that say about them
?

I'm one of "those" guys, and I have no problem saying it...Your thinking is one of the reasons OUR industry is in the toilet. Great another "pay for training guy", so if you want to spend the money (I want you to spend a lot, if you do) go to Gulfstream International, they will be happy to take your money.....good luck......

Instead of doing the pay for training thing, I would go out to the local airport and get with a CFII and fly a few hours and get my BFR and an Instrument comp. check. Then I would apply at ASA and a few others like that. Several of them are hiring under 1000 hours. The money will not be good, but you can get you 800-1000 hours of Jet time in a year and not have to Pay for your training. you will not make much, but you will not make anything at PFT operations either.

check out climbto350.com it's a good site for finding jobs, costs a little money to sign up but worth it. don't volunteer to pay for training!!! if you have the right background, any decent company will provide that. Also find a reputable company when it comes to charter, ask around like on this site for instance. You'll see, once you get back in and start meeting people and making contacts, the rest will fall into place. good luck

Getting back in

I was in your shoes many years ago.

What many employers will tell you, especially the regionals, is recency of experience, especially professional, will get you the job. Also, as earlier posters said, get your instrument skills back up to ATP standards. Finally, if you can get some glass experience, even the Garmin 1000 in a 172 or 182, that will help you get up to speed with somewhat current technology. The glass experience can also be had on your desktop or laptop flying the 737-400 on Microsoft's Flight Simulator.

Finally, there might be a part time opportunity flying a King Air with your past experience in it, or in some twin doing freight as a standby pilot while you keep working where you are at until you find the right offer and are ready to make the jump back. Good luck.

CC

First- don't be so quick to volunteer to pay for training. I look at resumes and it turns me off to see that, it makes the applicant look a little desperate which is no more attractive in employment than in dating.
Take it easy, in case you haven't noticed, we're now reaching another pilot shortage, first of all, set some goals as to where you want to end up in five years, ten years etc., then plan a strategy to get there, the majors are hiring again by the way, do some serious networking with old colleagues, good luck.

hey,
if you want to have options, i strongly suggest you go to the air,inc atlanta job fair on november 17.

i just went to the DC one , and have two interviews lined up.

the industry is hiring like mad. there is a shortage.

so much so, the mins at most regionals are 500/100

if 121 is your thing do this.

Latest resources

Back