Oprah-Umma-Umma-Oprah

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
psysicx said:
I didn't know Bill Cosby had that much money.
You're kidding right? The Cos almost bought NBC in the early 90s with a check. GE wouldn't sell it to him. Cosby does very well. Everytime you see a rerun of that #1 80s show that he stared and produced, he makes several thousands dollars.

Cant comment on what is presently the case but I have seen an all black crew get off the Cosby GIV in TEB on numerous occasions in the past.

Cosby Crew

What would it matter of the race or gender of the crew. I first worked 121 in 1965 when there were no black or women in the cockpit, when we started to disregard gender and race I saw no change in the performance of these crews.

Welcome to todays world.

Mobie

GIVDrvr said:
Cant comment on what is presently the case but I have seen an all black crew get off the Cosby GIV in TEB on numerous occasions in the past.
That maybe true but last time I checked he used a lot of contract FOs and his chief (read main) pilot is black. Clarence B. is his name I believe so it is quite possible.

Jack Schitt said:
Well, the 80k figure sounds bogus to me too. I'll bet she pays her FA at least that much. BTW, neither Oprah nor Cosby employs an all African-American crew. I'll admit we're all dealing with rumor and urban legend here.
I assure you they both have all black crews. I know that to be fact, not rumor or urban legend. They may or may not use contract pilots, but anyone on their payroll as a full time pilot is in fact black.

Also, the 80K figure is a couple of years old, so it might be more now, but not by much. Harpo's department is overseen by some guy that knows little to nothing about aviation, and he sets the salary figures. The pilots answer to him.

Good to know. Someone posted earlier how much you have to make a year to afford a GV anybody know what it was?

psysicx said:
Good to know. Someone posted earlier how much you have to make a year to afford a GV anybody know what it was?

Back in the mid-eighties Gulfstream did not solicit business from companies unless they had sales in excess of 300 million. This number obviously has changed significantly in the last twenty years and today there are obviously a lot of wealthy individuals that are stepping up to this equipment that have incomes that having nothing to do with a sales number. I knew a guy that had an approximate net worth of 75 million that bought a new G1V when they first came out. Gulfstream could not grasp the thought of an individual spending approximately 1/3 of his net worth on an airplane, but he did it just the same.

Latest resources

Back