Operating Successfully during a Strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
n5374f said:
Champion air pilots were told that if NWA pilots did not honor the strike then Champion pilots will have to fly flights as assigned by NWA out of NWA gates. The Champion pilots are in a bind because they don't want problems with NWA pilots

I seriously doubt that the Champion pilots will fly struck work...

Ironically, the NWA pilots are the ONLY employee group that retains the right to sympathy strike with other groups. The FAs and mechs gave that right away in their contracts long ago in exchange for $$$.

Sigh...it looks not so good. Good old GW sees no reason for a PEB so it will come to a head on the 20th for sure.

Nu

USMCmech said:
I work at one of those "3rd party vendors" and NWA is bringing a DC-9 here every day to get maintence done so they will be up to speed when they strike. When they do strike we expect to get reall busy with NWA aircraft.

USMCmech = SCAB

USMCmech = SCAB

I hope you didn't post that simply because he works for a 3rd party Maint. contractor. I read it as simply doing his job for his employer, not crossing a picket line to work for NWA.

BTW, I say that as a 25 yr AFL-CIO affiliated Union Member.

I have been working for my company (SAA) and on NWA planes well before all this started. I am NOT crossing a picket line to take over for striking NWA mechs.

I have no controll over whose buisness management takes. If a plane comes in, I am expected to do my job regardless of whose it is.

I sympathize with NWA mechs, but I have to do my job too.

Hey, guys, before making rash statements of false bravado as to how you would support our fellow union members, please learn something about labor law and as it applies to railway labor in particular.

"Self Help" is what labor and management can resort to after all the mechanisms of mediation and offers of arbitration have been exhausted. Our (labor) self help is withdrawal of service (a strike). Management can implement the last contract proposal as its move before a strike. If the company expects a strike, that contract proposal is usually draconian. If labor strikes, then the company can hire scabs.

If you work in a different union even at the same company, you will be expected to go to work. If you don't, the company can get an injunction to compel you to work. If you do not comply, huge fines and jail time can be assessed against you and your union. In the American Airlines "job action" a few years ago, APA was almost bankrupted and individual pilots were singled out for lawsuits for calling in sick.

By the way I was an ALPA pilot (#20232) for 32 years, right to retirement and I have a gold "retired" card. I paid many strike assessments and I'm glad to say we never had to strike ourselves. That is NASTY business, not to be taken lightly. Learn the rules and make decisions wisely.

~DC

USMCmech said:
I have been working for my company (SAA) and on NWA planes well before all this started. I am NOT crossing a picket line to take over for striking NWA mechs.

I have no controll over whose buisness management takes. If a plane comes in, I am expected to do my job regardless of whose it is.

I sympathize with NWA mechs, but I have to do my job too.

Struck work is struck work. If NWA pilots go on strike you can be for damn sure I'm not going to fly their work regardless of what my employer says.

If you work in a different union even at the same company, you will be expected to go to work. If you don't, the company can get an injunction to compel you to work. If you do not comply, huge fines and jail time can be assessed against you and your union. In the American Airlines "job action" a few years ago, APA was almost bankrupted and individual pilots were singled out for lawsuits for calling in sick.

You've been around long enough to know that is compleat BS. Secondary strikes and sickouts (Illegal job action) are completely different things. No Unionized group is ever required to cross picket lines at their place of employment. Not even under the RLA. This is echoed throughout airline/railroad history

DoinTime wrote: "Secondary strikes and sickouts (Illegal job action) are completely different things. No Unionized group is ever required to cross picket lines at their place of employment. Not even under the RLA. This is echoed throughout airline/railroad history"

To be completely accurate, you should say, "...unless they have agreed to a no-strike clause in their contract."

In the case of the other NWA unions, only ALPA has not traded away the ability to sympathy strike. Any PFAA, IAM, or AMFA member who refuses to work during a strike by one of the other NWA unions can be terminated for cause (violation of the contract).

During the 1998 strike, NWA mechanics crossed ALPA picket lines.

DoinTime said:
You've been around long enough to know that is compleat BS. Secondary strikes and sickouts (Illegal job action) are completely different things. No Unionized group is ever required to cross picket lines at their place of employment. Not even under the RLA. This is echoed throughout airline/railroad history

Compleat (sic) BS huh, well we maybe will see soon enough.

~DC

DoinTime said:
Struck work is struck work. If NWA pilots go on strike you can be for dang sure I'm not going to fly their work regardless of what my employer says.

No, it is not.

If NW already has this agreement in place with outside vendors, then that is not crossing a picket line. You would, perhaps, like him to lose his job to protect the NW mechanic's bargaining position?

Scabbing is crossing a picket line. You union thugs always amaze me.

Latest resources

Back