• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Opening Salvo AS vs DL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They also added PDX to ATL, and they allowed a codeshare out of SEA with Emirates. DL flies a lot of pax to India and the ME via their own nonstop flights from SEA to AMS and CDG, and then allows connections to go on KL/AF. (Besides DL's own AMS to BOM flight). A codeshare with EK sure seems like a slap in the face....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Clarification.

We had 2 x SEA to ATL, but now we only have one a day. The PDX to ATL is just replacing the flight we dropped out of SEA. So same number of flights to ATL just one from SEA and one from PDX.

I do hate our codeshare with Emirates though.

We will merge with Hawaiian. I'm not pulling this out of my arse, it's gonna happen.

We will merge with Hawaiian. I'm not pulling this out of my arse, it's gonna happen.

Yes you are! :)
Alaska needs a relatively small International AirBus hub in HNL like it needs a hole in the head. The two operations are doing fine as smaller high quality legacies. Combining the two would would just make a small disorganized mess with incompatible fleets and incompatible business plans.

It would seem that the best plan would be to emulate the most successful airlines of the day.
I expect the announcement of our bankruptcy any day.
Once we jettison those pesky IOUs, pensions and burdensome contracts we agreed to honor then the world is our oyster.
There appears to be no reward for being a good corporate citizen so why not?
I mean it's the free market right? Only the strong survive? Those who can't run a good business will be cast aside in the Darwinian race to perfection. Oh wait, I forgot, everyone loves a fantastical resurrection story. Thank God for Chapter 11.
Why do I feel the invisible hand is about to sucker punch my little ol airline?

I think there is room for a non-alliance value carrier in the US. Take AS, HA, VX, B6 and put them together. Strong hubs on both coasts, lots of codeshare partners for international coverage, and the A330 ops from HA could be expanded to cover routes through Latin America, high traffic Euro routes, and pacific routes from west coast hubs.

The world headquarters can be in HNL for Dan Roman to be happy ;)

It is clear that a lot of foreign carriers want to partner with US airlines, but due to alliance restrictions they are hampered. Having a large, non-aligned, 1-stop place for covering the USA would attract a lot of partnership attention.

It would seem that the best plan would be to emulate the most successful airlines of the day.
I expect the announcement of our bankruptcy any day.
Once we jettison those pesky IOUs, pensions and burdensome contracts we agreed to honor then the world is our oyster.
There appears to be no reward for being a good corporate citizen so why not?
I mean it's the free market right? Only the strong survive? Those who can't run a good business will be cast aside in the Darwinian race to perfection. Oh wait, I forgot, everyone loves a fantastical resurrection story. Thank God for Chapter 11.
Why do I feel the invisible hand is about to sucker punch my little ol airline?

Welcome to America, the land of second chances. Airlines, and even people can go BK and start over. That can have good and bad consequences (lost pensions etc), but then again if you don't like it, you can move to the ME and see what happens when you can't pay your bills. Hopefully you and your airline never have to go through a BK (not fun), but if you do, you can survive on the other side. Lawyers and upper management always seem to do fine, but that option is always there to hopefully help you out in bad times.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Wow! How many pensions could be restored just from one quarterly profit?
You're absolutely correct. With that said, I'll take the money in MY NAME any day of the week over a "future promise." Today's superstar is tomorrow's failed lesson learned. Remember the 1990's? Look at those superstars now.
Bu either way, I'll take the profits. Will make for a nice profit sharing come Feb.

Welcome to America, the land of second chances. Airlines, and even people can go BK and start over. That can have good and bad consequences (lost pensions etc), but then again if you don't like it, you can move to the ME and see what happens when you can't pay your bills. Hopefully you and your airline never have to go through a BK (not fun), but if you do, you can survive on the other side. Lawyers and upper management always seem to do fine, but that option is always there to hopefully help you out in bad times.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Well there you go. No wonder RA doesn't like Emirates. They are the top of the evolutionary chain that is the free market. They don't get any protection in order to survive. Wait, isn't it the anti competitive benefits that Emirates receives what he hates? So confused.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back