Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hiring in their own image

ERAUBrat3 said:
I'd rather hear that from human resources than a check pilot..sorry "captain".
In all fairness to Yip, he hires pilots at his company. Having said that,
Sure that may be their opinions...but if they're doing the hiring I'd probably want to fit in the category of what they like to see.
It is said that those who hire, hire in their own image.

Yes. Someone else who "gets it."

Truly hire in our own image

It is said that those who hire, hire in their own image

What does that mean?

Exactly we do hire in our own image. We know a college degree or lack of college degree does not define a man as a person. At USA Jet like all other opened minded airlines i.e. AirTran, Spirit, JB, SWA and all the regionals do not define the presence of a piece of paper as the ultimate definition of a successful candidate. Great airlines look at the whole man concept, what does this person bring to our company. There are pilots with degrees that fill that concept as well as pilots without college degrees. A great personality, a solid record of achievement, not necessarily defined by college, and a convincing desire to bring skills to our company are what will sell us on hiring a person. It is not a HR decision, they are involved in the recommendation process, but an operations board makes the decision.

Last edited:
stuff

Brat do you know what preferred means? It means preferred but not required. Check pervious posts on SWA hiring and you will see posts from SWA pilots hired without degrees. Plus you never splained how the 121 PIC is cutting corners

Last edited:
Have we lost the topic at all here? I don't think EXplaining my point would do any good, so I'm not going to try. I'll just go ahead and say 'you win' because God knows you'll come back with an experienced answer and requesting that I EXplain myself more.

We're all experts on this, aren't we?

Thanks for your support bobbysamd, unfortunately I think our points fall on deaf ears. Their loss.

pilotyip said:
Brat do you know what preferred means? It means preferred but not required. Check pervious posts on SWA hiring and you will see posts from SWA pilots hired without degrees. Plus you never splained how the 121 PIC is cutting corners

Yip.. "preferred" means that those with a degree will likely have the advantage, as well as fit the profile of what the airline wants. Yes, they will hire without one, but as Bobbysamd has said, arguing exception is very misguided.

nosehair said:
... After a couple of years, I realized the "training" I was getting was actually just what a bunch of "doctors" (Freud and that bunch) had made up (theorized) about the human mind, ... but there was no actual scientific proof of any of this material. I saw it as a great hoax on the public.

Perhaps you don't realize it, nosehair, but you just admitted that you were educated. If only everyone were as well-educated about the great hoax.

Most graduates find that their perceptions of what they intend to learn is somewhat different from what they ultimately do learn. Often times, the difference is profound. Ultimately, though, the larger experience is more important anyway. The process itself provides the most useful education of all.

Over our series of debates, I have learned to take what yip says just a little more seriously because he is by virtue of his position a de facto policy maker within the industry. College is not an absolute requirement, and good jobs can be had without the degree.

However, I would be remiss if I did not recommend college as a universally beneficial activity no matter what your career goals. In short, it can't hurt you.

For what it is worth, I'm glad I have my "piece of paper."

ERAUBrat3 said:
Have we lost the topic at all here? I don't think EXplaining my point would do any good, so I'm not going to try. I'll just go ahead and say 'you win' because God knows you'll come back with an experienced answer and requesting that I EXplain myself more.

We're all experts on this, aren't we?

Thanks for your support bobbysamd, unfortunately I think our points fall on deaf ears. Their loss.

It's those "deaf ears" that hire.

My turn

A few thoughts...

To the guy who said that making $45k right out of school was good money, $45k might be good money for a college graduate, but it ain't sh!t in a metro area with a high COL. Trust me. I know.

To the guy who works on docks at the USPS: $60k is decent money (especially if you can make that kind of money where housing is cheap), and you will find many people who will be content with a paycheck like that until retirement. My parents are college educated, and I'm not sure they make that kind of money combined. I don't know what the retirement benefits are there, but if they're *anything* you will find little turnover in that job.

As far as the need for college, I am speaking from a "been there done that" point of view. I submit that if you know that you won't put in the effort necessary to earn above average grades (above a 3.0), don't waste your money or your parents' money. At least don't do it at a school that will saddle you with high loan payments. Why? Right now, few decent employers will look at me and it is that much harder to get into graduate school. Yeah, I really think that if you won't pull a 3.0 you're probably wasting your time and money.

And to our friend Yip: Yip, I know of a career path where you can make six figures a year within 5 years of graduating from school, and all you need is a two year degree. Career path looks like this: Got to school. Get decent grades. Take a test. Do good on test. Graudate. Wait for phone call.

I'm starting to see his point as well, and if he actually comes out and says that going to college is a waste of time, then I would have to really disagree with him.

Latest resources

Back