Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Bravo! Well done brother Timebuilder

mar said:
And young BigD mades an impressive appearance. I wouldn't think a "funk master" would know the classics so well.

Then again maybe you're not so young? But I get the feeling you weren't even a twitch in your dad's pants when CSN were strummin' it.

I'm not as young as a lot of people on this board, but you're right - my Dad and Mom hadn't even met when CSN&Y were doing Woodstock. But my Dad was a hippy back in the day, so I grew up with CSN&Y, the Allman Brothers, Joplin, Hendrix, etc...

I have all their albums on vinyl now. Simply awesome.

Re: Bravo! Well done brother Timebuilder

mar said:
Joni actually wrote the song. CSN&Y covered it.

And young BigD mades an impressive appearance. I wouldn't think a "funk master" would know the classics so well.

Then again maybe you're not so young? But I get the feeling you weren't even a twitch in your dad's pants when CSN were strummin' it.

If you are a Joni fan...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000096FTI/102-6053694-4154516?v=glance

I saw this when it aired recently on PBS in Philly. While it IS somewhat a fawning attempt to deify Joni as the world's tortured folk goddess, is does have a teriffic historical perspective regarding what was happening in her life at what point in time, and uses her music to punctuate the points being made. It ties up what may be "loose ends" for all but the most involved fan, and that's most of us, since there was so little focus on the daily lives of second and third level celebrities before the rise of People magazine.

The best part is, of course, the music.

Last edited:
wow, what a thread hijack.

i'm going to throw bigD some flamebait and argue that Legend is not an album but a compilation.

the art of making albums is almost non-existent these days with bands and artists just trying to fill up a 70 minute cd with a few good songs and a bunch of filler.

as for the wife, i wish you and your husband all the best. me and my wife are just starting this journey (i never cared for any of their albums) so i pray that we have the strength to make it. she's supportive now, much like i'm sure you were in the beginning, but only time will tell.

Any husband who would sell their house underneath their family and kids at age 35 to pursue a career change is a bad husband. I don't care if he wants to be a pilot or an astronaut.

Once you've made the decision to have a family, you take on certain responsibilities that are more important than your own self. People like this guy are just another example of the "ME" mentality of Americans today, where self-gratification/wants/realization is more important than anyone else.

Flame me away...

i'll bite...

i'm 31 and am pursuing the career change for the following reasons.

selfish reasons - i have always had a passion for flying and feel that it is something i will enjoy doing the rest of my life. however, that personal enjoyment will spill into my family life.

family reasons - i'm at a dead end office job that will make me miserable for the next 30 odd years of my working life. i could go somewhere else but run the risk of giving up job security, much like in flying. also, it will be starting somewhere else with having to do time for acquiring vacations and being vested, much like flying.

family reasons - the early years will be lean but there seems to be better pay potential with flying as compared to where i am now, unless i take a management position which will just be more work and headache for a little bit more money and a new fancy title.

so let me continue wearing the rose colored glasses for awhile. my game plan is to receive my cfi-cfii and real estate license for those early yeas, and keep my fingers crossed.

let me add however that a family is a responsibility and should be the priority, that's why it's taking a few years for me to get there. and with any luck the sky will be filled with planes again in a couple of years and i can ride the next hiring wave.

Any husband who would sell their house underneath their family and kids at age 35 to pursue a career change is a bad husband. I don't care if he wants to be a pilot or an astronaut.
No flame from me.

Family obligations are the reason I started logging time in 1995 (been flying since I was a teen), but only finished my PPL in early 2001. I made a commitment to my family first, before anything else. Now, since 9/11 my ratings are at a stand-still, and I fully realize the best I will be able to do at my age is CFI locally. If I'd been more willing to allow my family to suffer hardship at the expense of my life-long dream, I'd have been in an RJ long ago. It just wasn't something I was prepared to do, and now the dream is dead.

Would I do things differently? Not a chance. Nothing, not even flying professionally, will ever surpass the ten-thousand joys and sorrows I experienced as a father and a husband, imho. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary. Everyone has to do what's best for them.

Minh

Nicely Done

Posted by Snakum:
----------------------------------------
"...If I'd been more willing to allow my family to suffer hardship at the expense of my life-long dream, I'd have been in an RJ long ago....Nothing, not even flying professionally, will ever surpass the ten-thousand joys and sorrows I experienced as a father and a husband..."
----------------------------------------

Snakum, there's a lot of wisdom and truth in those statements and you're far from alone in sharing those convictions.

Don't be depressed; I'm sure you've made much more of an impact in this world as a husband and father than you'd ever have made as a pilot.

I imagine you're quite a hero to your wife and kids who understand what you gave up for them. And even if they don't fully appreciate it, for you, you know that you made the right decision to put them first.

altimaklr said:

Once you've made the decision to have a family, you take on certain responsibilities that are more important than your own self. People like this guy are just another example of the "ME" mentality of Americans today, where self-gratification/wants/realization is more important than anyone else.

Flame me away...

I disagree with your opinion. This guy is still there for his family... he isn't running away. What kind of example is someone that stays in a job he doesn't like instead of working hard and sacraficing to get the career they want. You only come around this world once... do you want to spend the better part of your life doing something you don't want to do. For those of us that do what we love or even like... we are the lucky few.

If you can afford to pay for your kids college... great. If not, let them earn it, they may respect it more this way too.

Last edited:
Timebuilder 350 and Mar

I never thought the day would come when you guys all agreed on something. Are all the planets aligned? Does this mean armogedon?
I would write more but I have to start digging my shelter in the back yard because I have a feeling the world as we know it could end any second now. AAAAHHHH!!!!!

Latest resources

Back