On-duty controller during crash had 2 hours sleep before work

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ASARJMan said:
Don't blame you there Hoser. After all, Mr Mech knows everything about aviation, especiaaly ATC! Bet he's good at MS Simulator too!

VOTED IN FAVOR!

I don't own any computer games, other than the card games that came loaded on the software. I have sat at ZHU and IAH TRACONS stations for several hours, and know the drills. You brought up my experience level, and I qualified it. When is the last time that you sat at a Center sector, listened to how the ATC system works? Asked questions of the controller?

But now, since you are all knowing, tell us, why did 5191 take the wrong runway?

So why do we even bother to have Ground and Local controllers up in a tower if they aren't expected to look out of the window? Why do we spend millions of tax payer dollars building huge Towers with panoramic views of the entire airport? Why don't we just stick them down in the TRACON building with everyone else if they have no responsibility to look outside?

I'm not blaming the controller for this, as he can't be expected to look outside every minute if he has a dozen other tasks he is responsible for at the same time. One more set of eyes in that tower very well could have prevented this....its as simple as that.

Last edited:
erj-145mech said:
I don't own any computer games, other than the card games that came loaded on the software. I have sat at ZHU and IAH TRACONS stations for several hours, and know the drills. You brought up my experience level, and I qualified it. When is the last time that you sat at a Center sector, listened to how the ATC system works? Asked questions of the controller?

But now, since you are all knowing, tell us, why did 5191 take the wrong runway?

OH, so you're NOT a controller, you have 'sat at ZHU and IAH tracon stations for several hours and know the drills'. I guess that means for you, "I'm not a controller, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last nite" and are now 'qualified'. I have 18 yrs as an 'actual' controller, SAV, PBI and S56. That is MY experience as a controller. What exactly is yours? None? That makes you about as experienced as miles o' dipsh1t brien from CNN.

SkyBoy1981 said:
So why do we even bother to have Ground and Local controllers up in a tower if they aren't expected to look out of the window? Why do we spend millions of tax payer dollars building huge Towers with panoramic views of the entire airport? Why don't we just stick them down in the TRACON building with everyone else if they have no responsibility to look outside?

I'm not blaming the controller for this, as he can't be expected to look outside every minute if he has a dozen other tasks he is responsible for at the same time. One more set of eyes in that tower very well could have prevented this....its as simple as that.

On another BB (the professional one where all the flightsim "pilots" can't go), a former controller posted that under the existing lighting conditions, even if the LEX controller had been looking directly at the airplane, there is no way to see for sure which runway the a/c was lined up on....until it was too far into the takeoff roll to prevent the accident.

ATR-DRIVR said:
OH, so you're NOT a controller, you have 'sat at ZHU and IAH tracon stations for several hours and know the drills'. I guess that means for you, "I'm not a controller, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last nite" and are now 'qualified'. I have 18 yrs as an 'actual' controller, SAV, PBI and S56. That is MY experience as a controller. What exactly is yours? None? That makes you about as experienced as miles o' dipsh1t brien from CNN.

Since you're the expert (thats a former drip under pressure) A$$, why don't you review this:

For some really dry reading on controller responsibilities see:http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/ATC/CHP3.HTM

erj-145mech said:
Since you're the expert (thats a former drip under pressure) A$$, why don't you review this:

For some really dry reading on controller responsibilities see:http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/ATC/CHP3.HTM

Far more of an expert than you about ATC rest assured. It is amazing how you just keep digging a hole for your dipsh1t self.
Thanks for the link. Again, been there done that. Know what the .65 is dipshi1t?
As far as former goes, I chose to pursue flying. There was not a 'pressure' issue. Since you have absolutely no idea of mine or any other controllers abilities, it just shows how big a d1ckhead you are. Good job. Never made a mistake, is that what you said on another thread? Wow. I have made mistakes, so had everyone else on these boards. At least we admit it. Must be outstanding to be so perfect. Good luck!

Actually, I hope the FAA takes it up the rear on this one and gets a ton of bad press. Hopefully, the ATC guys take some nasty press as well. The nastier the better.

You guys probably think I'm a dick, but as a future controller (not a wannabe, job offer is in hand) there is a huge staffing problem that the FAA refuses to admit. Heck, it took them awhile just to admit there was supposed to be two controllers up in the cab at LEX... and the lone guy had a whopping 8 hours off before heading into the overnight shift. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the FAA at first claim that the tower was properly staffed?

There will be more incidents like this (and possibly worse) if the FAA doesn't figure out they have a staffing issue with ATC. Since this tragic incident has already occurred, it may as well get spun in such a way that certain problems will get fixed.

P.S. The FAA just handed down a paycut of 30% to ATC'ers. I have run into no controller (on these boards or in person) who actually advises taking this job. If the advice from those already there is to run far, far away, how is this staffing problem going to be fixed?

ATR-DRIVR said:
Far more of an expert than you about ATC rest assured. It is amazing how you just keep digging a hole for your dipsh1t self.
Thanks for the link. Again, been there done that. Know what the .65 is dipshi1t?
As far as former goes, I chose to pursue flying. There was not a 'pressure' issue. Since you have absolutely no idea of mine or any other controllers abilities, it just shows how big a d1ckhead you are. Good job. Never made a mistake, is that what you said on another thread? Wow. I have made mistakes, so had everyone else on these boards. At least we admit it. Must be outstanding to be so perfect. Good luck!

The bottom line is that the only ones to screw the pooch were the two in front of the cockpit door. You can't change that with your tirade and your "experience" as a has been controller. The local controller did not fail to follow extablished procedures.

erj-145mech said:
The bottom line is that the only ones to screw the pooch were the two in front of the cockpit door. You can't change that with your tirade and your "experience" as a has been controller. The local controller did not fail to follow extablished procedures.

Look here loser, back to turning wrenches with you. The pilots screwed the pooch, we've all said that. But the controller wasn't doing his job either, due to manning, rest, and too many additional duties at that hour at that airport, and confusing taxiways at LEX, and additional factors which the NTSB will find. You're such an expert monkey wrench, why don't you contact the NTSB and enrich them with your superior knowledge of everything aviation, especially ATC procedures.

There have been numerous "has-been" controllers come on here and try to explain controller responsibilities, but no, you've sat and watched controllers, so you're now the ATC expert, and won't listen to reason. No wonder you're just a monkey wrench!

VOTED IN FAVOR!

Last edited:
erj-145mech said:

Hope you are satisfied with your "Final Report on the Crash of Flt 5191" For the rest of us we will wait for a more thorough investigation from the real experts. Again, let me correct false and misleading statements by you.
There is no "bottom line" to this accident. Many links in the chain as is with all accidents. You seem to think or come to the conclusion that my career with ATC was not up to your expectations. Sorry 'bout that. I am also sorry you were not up to the rigors of the job like the fine men and women who worked with me. Sorry you were not selected. Also not worried about your opinion about my career either, LOL.

You are a total and complete disgrace to the many flying professionals by the first sentence in your post. I feel terribly sorry for anyone who has to sit next to you in an airplane and worse for anyone behind the cockpit door.

Latest resources

Back