Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TIGV said:
Airtran you guys rock !
You hired that guy but kicked a buddy of mine, a 3 year crj Capt. for Air Whizz out of class for a careless and reckless driving ticket back when he was in college.

Well if your buddy convienently left that off his application, in which case he would have been lying, they had every right. Sorry but the incident today doesn't excuse your buddy's misstep. They both justify being fired.

I'll PM you his number if you like, tell him that.

Airtran just cost him a 60k+ a year job, they should not have hired him prior to the completion of his backround investigation, that being the case.

Can you say Lawyer ?

(1) A few of the TSA and other varieties of security guards have a real problem with the FFDO program. I have heard several first hand accounts of harassment, up to and including the "drunk pilot" allegation. So far, I think the TSA's record is very poor when it comes to judging the aeromedical fitness of crewmembers.

(2) ALPA reccommends that if a "drunk pilot" allegation is made that the pilot immediately remove himself from the flight, call ALPA and get tested. Any allegation, even if untrue, must be dealt with seriously.

(3) The America West pilots in Florida defended their operation of an aircraft ( while intoxicated ) by correctly arguing that the Federal Government has established field preemption over the operation of aircaft.

As far as making fun of the guy's picture - I bet he had one rough day by the time that photo was taken. I'm curious, does Airtran have a trip that duties in at LAS around midnight? Seems like a strange trip and if the pilot had figured on the 8 hour rule, then it was a strange time of day to tie one on. Any Airtran guys got any insights?

Last edited:
As I said in the other post. Quit throwing your fellow pilot under the bus. Wait for the facts, as you'd want your fellow pilots to do the same....

It's takes a he1l of alot more to be compassionate........

It's Lord Of the Flies baby!!!!

TIGV said:
I'll PM you his number if you like, tell him that.

Airtran just cost him a 60k+ a year job, they should not have hired him prior to the completion of his backround investigation, that being the case.

Can you say Lawyer ?

Actually the four airlines I have worked for over the past ten years didn't complete my background checks until I had started groundschool. That includes two regionals, a LCC, and a Major. I remember the lady at the Major I worked for said one of the reasons they wait (at least for the past employer notification) is they don't like to alert current employers their employee is "shopping around" for another job as this can cause problems if they decide to not take the job or it doesn't work out for some reason. I also remember her saying they weren't required to finish the background checks until the employee starts flight training or IOE can't remember which one. Either way it sucks for your friend hope it works out for him in the end.

TIGV said:
Can you say Lawyer ?

Can you say TOUGH SH!T? SOB lies on his app and then thinks getting a lawyer because he was "hired" before they completed the background check is going to make a rat's a$$. THEY cost him a 60k a year job??? His careless and reckless diving that he tried to hide had nothing to do with it, I suppose? That's the problem with most people. Always pointing the finger and blaming others for their own fark ups. Typical. What a putz.

You too, GV for making an issue out of a cut and dried case.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
You know, after reading this I realized that when I'm going through the checkpoint in uniform, more often than not the TSAgents often try to engage me in mindless banter about one thing or another. I wonder if they've been given a directive to pay extra attention to flight crews in regards to alcohol, or if this is just an individual's zealousness.

I'd make a few FFDO comments, but I think it would be inappropriate on an open forum.

Hovernut said:
You know, after reading this I realized that when I'm going through the checkpoint in uniform, more often than not the TSAgents often try to engage me in mindless banter about one thing or another. I wonder if they've been given a directive to pay extra attention to flight crews in regards to alcohol, or if this is just an individual's zealousness.

You are correct they are indeed trained to do this for that very reason. I don't talk to them.

TIGV said:

Can you say Lawyer ?

Sounds to me more like he wasted Airtran's time and a class slot that could have went to someone else who didn't lie on their application.

If he was hired and subsequently fired for that, it sure sounds like he didn't disclose it and they found it, which is grounds for firing at any carrier.

I am also a little concerned about your ideas about right and wrong. Do you really think that he is somehow entitled to damages? Sounds to me like you need to put down the remote control and step away from the Springer show and learn a little bit about the meaning of "right" and "wrong".

Latest resources

Back