Oliver Paul Reason Jr. Drunk & Fired

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SupaFly said:
OK, here's a stupid questions from some one not in the industry...

Let's say you over-indulge on a layover, wake up and realize that either a) you're in no shape to get in the cockpit with a bunch of paying customers in the back, or b) you probably could hack it, but the look on your face and stench in your breath would make any gate agent cringe. What are the implications of taking yourself out by calling in sick? Do some carriers have "mulligans"? I know that it's far better to make the hard call and take the consequences, and I think that most carriers would like an atmosphere where it's better to to pull yourself out than risk this type of media blitz. Anyone care to shed some light?

The same thing would happen as if you had called in sick with the flu or with a sprained ankle. Most places have sick leave and it gets deducted from your sick bank. It would be a non-issue. If the guy called in drunk and said "i'm too drunk to fly, take me off the flight" he might have some issues. But if he called in and said "I am not feeling fit to fly." then it would not have gone any farther.

Many states are passing laws making it illegal to impersonate military personnel.

Great job to LJRDriver in calling the FA out. Female mil pilots do not take her purported career track and only accrue 3000 hours.

Kelly Flynn is at UPS and is doing well. SHe paid her penance and has moved on. Fogelman was an arse anyway!

Another Dumb A$$ bites the dust!

slowto250 said:
Have a little fun on the next trip you don't want to fly. Swagger and stagger your way thru the TSA's crack team of "profilers", enroute to the gate. I know, I know...... who could possibly deceive this fortress of security masterminds ???

I do that now anyway, but an interesting idea for time off.

jetguy said:
Hey, I know Paul! In his defense I'd just like to say he's not a "bad seed". He's always been a good hard working guy that has in the past stood up for pilots in our own union in an effort to make things better for all of us. Yes he screwed up. But believe me, when a guy has a Wife and kids, as Paul does, he doesn't need any reminders.

He has made a mess of what most people would consider great life and career. After ten spotless years with the company he stumbled. As tragic as this is for him and his family, we as pilots can at least learn from it.

In one sense, your quote is well taken. As of late, this kind of thing is happening far to often in our industry when a simple phone call can nip it in the bud. There gunnin for us boys, please be carefull out there and save us all the embarrassment.

CALL IN SICK!!! It's that simple.

Not that I am advocating drinking and flying, but the mere accusation can be damaging. So if in doubt call in sick. Don't talk to those TSA rent-a-cops and provide them with any ammunition.

Had this guy not been a FFDO, he probably would have gone through security unnoticed. The TSA people are no doubt yealous and will take any opportunity to nail one of us if we give them the chance.

It is ironic that events that have impacted our industry and caused us all greater stress and worry have likely contributed to the increassed drinking by flight crew members.

gadawgsjetgirl said:
You know reading all the threads, its a shame that we are all so quick to judge. Any other field, it wouldn't have been front page or national headline news. He would have been taken aside and sent for help. But we instead crucify him in the news and within our precious little circle. Instead we should (Air Tran) should have helped him to get help and to salvage his life and career. I know this guy. He's a good man. A family man. We should be thinking "but for the grace of God, go I..." So think about that when you condemn him. Who among us is worthy to judge?

Ditto:
Some compassion would be appropriate. While his judgement and conduct were highly flawed, he should be given the opportunity to seek treatment if that is approriate and perhaps after a time given the opportunity at a non flying position such as a sim instructor.

As I recall, the Fargo NW captain was eventually reinstated after rehab and a prison term. It was a long road back, but he was given a chance with the help of ALPA.

Latest resources

Back