Old Guy, Low Time - F/E training?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airspeedsalive

What are your thoughts - I'm currently employed by a midwest based airline in SOC [former dispatcher]. I've bee flying traffic in a 182 for a few years to bulid time. So far lots of 182 time [about 2200 TT] but no signifigant ME time [about 100 hrs over the years].

Anyway to make an already long story a little shorter - good chance of my company going out of business, I'm 42 and, like everyone else, need to try to provide for my family.

I've been considering getting an F/E certificate to try to get on with a freight company since, the money is generally a little better than the regionals.

My question is; does a guy have any chance of going to Aero Services or the like, without and A&P, and getting a job out of training?

I'd prefer to get on at USA Jet, or similar and fly, but with my times it doesn't seem very likely.

Thanks for the input

Nice....for anyone else out there that can't figure this puzzle out - what I meant was, ideally, I'd prefer to actually fly an aircraft that work the panel.

Very few FE jobs left out there. I am not sure exactly the numbers but most hire for S/O's so you have to have enough TT to move on to the right seat. ATI and Capital and I think Southern Air maybe the only ones I know taht hire PFE's. You may try some of the smaller freight operators for more time. Without an A&P I would not get sucked into aero services. Try Air Cargo Carriers. Right into a Shorts 330 or 360 and build multi time. I have had friends that worked there and had good things to say.

Good Luck!

I agree with the above (very few F/E jobs).

I'd be happy to help get you a freight job probably/possibly in GRR if you are interested, at least to get you started, and your times more competitive...check your PMs, and do a search for Central Air Southwest

MD11Drvr said:
Very few FE jobs left out there. I am not sure exactly the numbers but most hire for S/O's so you have to have enough TT to move on to the right seat. ATI and Capital and I think Southern Air maybe the only ones I know taht hire PFE's. You may try some of the smaller freight operators for more time. Without an A&P I would not get sucked into aero services. Try Air Cargo Carriers. Right into a Shorts 330 or 360 and build multi time. I have had friends that worked there and had good things to say.

Good Luck!

Good advice - They sound like a good company to get started at, but it sounds like you pretty much have to live in base. I'm certainly not opposed to that, but at this point I'd hate to move my family. In a perfect world I think I'd rather have a reasonable commute. Although that being said their charter lines sound like a possibility.
Thanks

NoPax said:
I agree with the above (very few F/E jobs).

I'd be happy to help get you a freight job probably/possibly in GRR if you are interested, at least to get you started, and your times more competitive...check your PMs, and do a search for Central Air Southwest

Check your PM

central air

airspeedsalive said:
I'm certainly not opposed to that, but at this point I'd hate to move my family.

Move your family...for 1500$/month? I wouldn't move my furniture for that kind of money. If your bound and determined to work for peanuts then rent a room, leave the old lady at home, and bail after a few months experience. If these people really valued their employees and wanted to keep them, they'd pay better. There are better 135 operations out there, despite the "bottom feeder" mentality on this board. Where exactly do you live or want to work? I'll see if I can help you out.

Tradewinds has PFEs in the 747, not sure if they have any SOs or not. Search the site.

Latest resources

Back