• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Old Geezer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You wore the navy suit and red "power tie" to the interview Learlove. If you were going to be rebellious, why did you not start at the interview? Or did you have the kind of balls that only materialized when you are safely under the protection of the union?

Seriously, everybody knows what the uniform is before you apply. You get all dressed up in your Sunday best for the interview and put on the best show you can for the interview committee... then, once you get online, suddenly you're too good to wear the hat? Come on. That's childish.

No. A tie does not make you any more or less professional. But compliance with the SOP -- even those sections you don't agree with -- does.

LearLove.........as a fellow furloughed U pilot and now a Part 91 pilot for a Fortune 100 company, I can assure you that professional appearance is extremely important. I'm extremely lucky that I landed the cream of the crop job in this profession post 9/11. We still take pride in our appearance because it is expected of us.

By the way, we are hiring for "career positions". Two positions to be exact due to new airplane deliveries. If you were interested and applied and got an interview, would you wear a tie to the interview? I already know the answer to that one.

Wearing a tie or not doesn't make a person any less professional. But I'll give you this, your appearance is a reflection of yourself. The people who take pride in their appearance are the people who take pride in their work. They are the people who are going to be flying at our company.

Fatburger
36 years old.

It's not going "no-where". It displays a dramatic cultural divide between airline pilots even just a decade ago, and those today.

In an era where unity has fallen by the wayside it is important to recognize your differences.

It's about public perception

How many newspaper letters to the editor do you read that are written by the ill-informed public, blaming pilots and unions for the bankruptcies of airlines. You know the letters, the ones that hold absolutely no truth and make your blood boil. We, as airline pilots, and our unions have done a horrible job of educating the public as to the true life of a pilot. Taking out a full page ad during a well-publicized and contentious contract negotiation (Comair), does not go far enough. ALPA is only acting defensively. Unions and pilots need to be proactively educating the traveling public. People need to know that we are NOT glorified bus drivers, and if that means taking some pride in the way you dress and carry yourself while in uniform, then it is a small price to pay. When the public sees the kid with the uniform on, listening to his iPod, wearing a backpack, "professional" is probably not what immediately comes to mind.

LearLove - I've gotta disagree with you. I have no doubt that you are every bit as professional without a tie as you are with, but John Public may not see it that way. We've got to help ourselves if we ever expect the public to help us.

We need to increase the retirement age to age sixty-five, if for no other reason than, to protect the American public from some of these idiots on the board that may at some point have the seniority to upgrade but not the common sense or the judgement. Fire away.

Last edited:
We need to increase the retirement age to age to age sixty-five, if for no other reason than, to protect the American public from some of these idiots on the board that may, at some point have the seniority to upgrade, but not the common sense or the judgement. Fire away.

You mean, like yourself?

I wouldn't throw darts like that if I couldn't even type a sentence correctly, even after editing. You might also want to brush up on the use of commas and other punctuation nuances.

Clear.

FJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back