Offered captain on Dash8 @ Mesa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cq43vt17t said:
All of the airports up in the NE that freedom is flying to have ILS approaches to multiple runways. They are also all controlled fields. From the bids I see they are flying to ALB, BTV, MHT, SYR, PHL, PWM, ORF all out of JFK.

Been a while, but I seem to recall several of those fields have towers that close late in the day.

T-Gates said:
Since when do FO's approve jumpseat requests?

A captain who takes a jumpseater or any other pax against the FO's (or FA's) wishes is a moron. Several years back I actually had a captain who insisted on taking a pax who was drunk and had behaved in a derogatory manner to the FA and then was threatening to me...I just called in sick on the spot (must have been that clam chowder).

Rick, that is a bit different than an FO pulling rank on a captain over a personal vendetta the FO has with a jumpseater. I love it when FOs state so and so isn't going to ride on "their" jumpseat. If buyagoat ever upgrades, he/she will have the priviledge of deciding who sits in their jumpseat.

rickair7777 said:
A captain who takes a jumpseater or any other pax against the FO's (or FA's) wishes is a moron.

So, just to be clear, I now have to ask not only the FO's, but also the FA's permission before I allow a jumpseater on my airplane?!? Check the ego, buddy. You can certainly give your opinion, but the Captain owns the jumpseat and decides who rides on it.

PCL_128 said:
So, just to be clear, I now have to ask not only the FO's, but also the FA's permission before I allow a jumpseater on my airplane?!? Check the ego, buddy. You can certainly give your opinion, but the Captain owns the jumpseat and decides who rides on it.

My ego? You've got to be kidding me...read your own post...

Anyway, this is not indentured servitude. If I don't want to fly under certain circumstances, then I won't, and I have demonstrated this the hard way. Since you need the entire crew, if you piss me off your only options are to find a replacement, or take the next van back to the hotel at the outstation.

But to answer your question, no you don't have to ASK either of them, but if they have reason to venture an opinion, maybe you'd better think real hard about what's going on...

Last edited:
of course they are hiring street captains... CRJ f/o's don't want the f*cking spot (pay cut), and most people do not wanna fly on the freedom side anyway.

every captian i have ever flown has had respect for thier crew, and if any member of the crew is not cool with somthing, then they will use their privlage of denying the jumpseat. We denyed amr corp. j/s while they were redoing there computer system and then would not allow us on their a/c, so they were not welcome on ours, they fixed the problem and we let them on agian. If your a captian and you dont care about your crew and how they feel about somting then I sure feel sorry for the people that go flying with you.

Wow that sucks that some pilot had to pay the price for his company's computer problem. The poor guy missed some time at home or missed the pay for his trip because of you?

Nobody wins in a jumpseat war.
We've had guys denied a jumpseat over computer issues. I've run across that problem myself.
While I might mention the issue to a jumpseater the thought of denying someone a ride for some political purpose would never cross my mind.

Latest resources

Back