• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Oberstar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Capacity will never be pulled out of the market, Joe. SWA is preparing to jump into DEN to pick up the lost capacity there. VA wants to pick up lost capacity in ORD, and AAI has talked of the same. Wherever one airline pulls capacity out, another will fill the void. As long as we have this failed deregulated model, things will not get better. Re-regulation is the only real answer.

Re-regulation will never happen.....Both sides of the aisle will oppose it....Here's why:

Your side (Democrats) will oppose it because it will result in higher fares and will price the "common man" out of flying....Fares were much higher under regulation.....Remember it was the Carter administration that deregulated the airline industry so that fares would come down....

My side (Republicans) will oppose it because they generally oppose more govt. regulation....

There are other things that can be done....

1. Give the airlines temporary exemption from anti-trust regulations and let them get together to set minimum fares.

2. Get real with an Energy Policy that includes ALL solutions - More drilling, conservation, more nuclear, and more alternatives.....

3. Shore up the dollar thru fiscal responsibilty....That will help bring oil down...

4. Don't allow airlines to wallow in BK....Weak carriers need to go out of business, rather than drag the stronger ones down....

5. Fix the FAA...The innefficiency in the ATC system is unacceptable....

Re-regulation will never happen.....Both sides of the aisle will oppose it....Here's why:

Your side (Democrats) will oppose it because it will result in higher fares and will price the "common man" out of flying....Fares were much higher under regulation.....Remember it was the Carter administration that deregulated the airline industry so that fares would come down....

My side (Republicans) will oppose it because they generally oppose more govt. regulation....

There are other things that can be done....

1. Give the airlines temporary exemption from anti-trust regulations and let them get together to set minimum fares.

2. Get real with an Energy Policy that includes ALL solutions - More drilling, conservation, more nuclear, and more alternatives.....

3. Shore up the dollar thru fiscal responsibilty....That will help bring oil down...

4. Don't allow airlines to wallow in BK....Weak carriers need to go out of business, rather than drag the stronger ones down....

5. Fix the FAA...The innefficiency in the ATC system is unacceptable....

Recently a bill to modernize ATC was vetoed by mostly REPUBLICANS because the bill would tax outfits like netjets and GA. They didnt want to tax themselves and their wealthy friends.

Republicans do not want other sources of energy.
They want to simply drill in ANWAR. ANWAR does not solve the problem, it only extends it.

Fiscal responsibility? Because the republicans have been so good at that during the past 8 years.

Minimum wage? Republicans have always opposed it.

Recently a bill to modernize ATC was vetoed by mostly REPUBLICANS because the bill would tax outfits like netjets and GA. They didnt want to tax themselves and their wealthy friends.

You mean the Netjets that is owned by Warren Buffett....A huge supporter of the Democratic Party?

As far as taxing a guy in a Piper Cub to help pay for services that are used by the airlines...That is wrong...

I said FIX the ATC system....Not Tax small general aviation people more....

donvag said:
They want to simply drill in ANWAR. ANWAR does not solve the problem, it only extends it.

And liberals want to wait for solar and micro algae to power everthing.....Notice I said to do it ALL.....Liberals don't want to drill for more oil and most don't like nuclear....How about we do ALL of it....

donvag said:
Fiscal responsibility? Because the republicans have been so good at that during the past 8 years.

I agree and that is why the Dems. are going to have the White House and the Congress....You ain't seen nothing yet when it comes to waisting money....I voted for Ron Paul....

donvag said:
Minimum wage? Republicans have always opposed it.

I didn't say anything about "minimum wage" and that definately isn't a way to help the airlines....What did you mean with that point?

An actual attempt to defend France! That is more than I ever would have hoped for!!!

Where to begin? Let's see-
1-France has just about the highest tax rate in the known universe, (outside of true communism)

2-France will sell absolutely any weapon to absolutely any country (including nuclear enrichment technology-remember those reactors Isreal blew up in Iraq? Mid 80's?- yep-France!)

3-France is also really great at offering military advice (ever since the British kicked the living dog-squeeze out of them at Trafalgar)-they just aren't so great at actually doing anything other than getting into some crap and picking up the red phone to call real countries to come an bail thier butts out (3 times in the 20th century-BTW.)

4-Just look at all the fun they had when they tried to make a french nuclear aircraft carrier sail:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Charles_de_Gaulle
-The damn thing was built with a flight deck that was too short(can you believe that?) It also lost its propeller on sea trials-it had to get towed back to port-FROM STINKING SEA TRIALS-NOT BATTLE!!! These clowns are so incompetent-they are lucky it didn't just blow up!

5-And- My favorite part:
Why do they have a seat on the UN security council? BECAUSE THE ENTIRE WORLD PITIES THEM!!! It certainly is not because they have won any wars in a couple hundred years or so!!! They just get into some crap every once in a whle and whine when they get the dog snot kicked out of them! I guess the UN must value the perspective afforded by consultation with true losers!

-If there is any country anywhere we do not want to emulate, it is France! These putz weasels are truly the scourge of the planet!

What a bunch of pathetic cheese-eating surrender-monkeys!

-Plus-They love Jerry Louis!
WTF?!?

Jmoney, although your arguments are correct, you just needed to respond by...Max, you do know France elected a CONSERVATIVE President in their last election. They are (somewhat) changing their attitude and are now supportive of the US.

Oberstar is an old man craving attention. He also wants airlines to serve full 5-course meals and FAs to wear dresses and tuxedos. This ain't the 1950s Jim.... Things have changed a bit.
Anit nuttin wrong wif dat............

bouyyyyyyyy.....

donvag said:

An increased fuel tax for general aviation (read NON-AIRLINE) was passed recently to allow "those damn pesky bizjets" to pay their fair share for the NAS.

I remember a since-retired Marine aviator telling me once "All this talk about the drilling of ANWR destroying Alaskan beauty is bullsh!t. I don't know how many of them have been to ANWR, but I have...and the part I saw was a wasteland."

ANWR has enough oil to supply the United States for around 20 years of 2006 demand. Its the ultimate "strategic oil reserve".

ANWR has enough oil to supply the United States for around 20 years of 2006 demand. Its the ultimate "strategic oil reserve".

In total, the oil deposits in ANWR contain as much oil to solely support U.S. consumption for 7 months (4.3B estimate) to 19 months (12B estimate). If used to completely replace oil imported from Saudi Arabia, oil from ANWR would last from approximately 8 years to over 20 years.

This is via: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Refuge_drilling_controversy So there is lots of oil there but not as much as you said. Also it would take at least a decade to get the production to full swing. In reality it is just a drop in the bucket and will only slow us to the inevitable working toward alternative energy.

Re-regulation will never happen.....Both sides of the aisle will oppose it....

Three leading Democrats have already come out making statements in favor of reregulation in the past few months. If things continue on their current course in this industry, more will follow.

An increased fuel tax for general aviation (read NON-AIRLINE) was passed recently to allow "those damn pesky bizjets" to pay their fair share for the NAS.

Previously, GA was paying $0.21/gal fuel tax. With the recent increase, GA (Jet A) is now taxed at $0.36/gal.

The airlines are (and have been) paying $0.04/gallon fuel tax.

Wanna tell me who isn't paying their share?

The biggest discount goes to the biggest buyer overall

Previously, GA was paying $0.21/gal fuel tax. With the recent increase, GA (Jet A) is now taxed at $0.36/gal.

The airlines are (and have been) paying $0.04/gallon fuel tax.

Wanna tell me who isn't paying their share?

What plane do you fly?
How much do the tanks hold on a "fill up"?
How many miles a day gets put on your aircraft?
Repeat questions for your company as a whole vs the airlines as a whole...

I'm no mathuhmatishun, but....

Latest resources

Back