• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Oberstar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I Oppose Major Mergers and Support Re-Regulation.

Mergers = furloughs no matter how you slice it, someone down the line will get the axe.

And if Obama is elected President, lots of EJA pilots too will be laid off. (all of those extra taxes will force owners to give up EJA shares....)

You are way too dramatic DAD. When oil was lower and USAir and AWA merged, were there any layoffs? Nope. Higher oil has now affected the airlines, but when they merged it had NOT. You are wrong. But, you can GUESS that something "down the line" will happen------you can never be wrong there. Give me a break DAD. I think we may get in another War, "down the line."

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
A Minnesota congressman wants to halt the Delta and Northwest airlines merger.
U.S. Rep. James Oberstar (D-Minn.), chairman of the House Transportation committee, is calling on the Justice Department to reject the proposed $17.7 billion merger between Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest (NYSE: NWA) and Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines Inc. (NYSE: DAL).
The news comes despite officials from Delta promising legislators in early May that they will keep thousands of Northwest Airlines jobs in Minnesota after the carriers merge. The company has also said it does not plan to make any changes to Northwest's existing hub structure.
Oberstar sent a letter to the Justice Department requesting that it examine the deal in order to determine if would force other carriers to merge, resulting in raised fares and less service for consumers.
More from bizjournals.com

The problem is that the Senate has already looked at the case too and said it was fine (Sen. Mica from FLA is in charge of the Senate Aviation Committee). So, Oberstar can throw up a flag (Chair of the House Aviation Committee), but the Senate has already given the go ahead, and now it is up to the DOJ.

Bye Bye--General Lee

And if Obama is elected President, lots of EJA pilots too will be laid off. (all of those extra taxes will force owners to give up EJA shares....)

You are way too dramatic DAD. When oil was lower and USAir and AWA merged, were there any layoffs? Nope. Higher oil has now affected the airlines, but when they merged it had NOT. You are wrong. But, you can GUESS that something "down the line" will happen------you can never be wrong there. Give me a break DAD. I think we may get in another War, "down the line."

Bye Bye--General Lee

FINALLY!

The General and I have found something we can agree on!

OBAMA IS A TOTAL COMMUNIST!!!!!!!!

His economic policies will turn this country into France if we are lucky, and Slovenia if we are not!

-We are playing with fire for the sake of "change."

. Then there's the politics of getting what few nationalized airline positions that come by.

Re-regulation does not mean a nationalized airline(s). It serves as prices controls.

You shouldn't. Oberstar is our best friend in Washington.

How can you say that? He opposes the merger because it will "raise fares"......HELLO...Fares need to rise.....Oberstar and the rest of the Democratic Party are worried about the poor consumer who may actually have to pay what it costs.....

Flying isn't a right....but some on the left side of the aisle think it is......

A true "best friend" wouldn't oppose higher fares.....

How can you say that? He opposes the merger because it will "raise fares"......HELLO...Fares need to rise.....Oberstar and the rest of the Democratic Party are worried about the poor consumer who may actually have to pay what it costs.....

Flying isn't a right....but some on the left side of the aisle think it is......

A true "best friend" wouldn't oppose higher fares.....

haha..never thought I'd say this... but, right on!!

FINALLY!

The General and I have found something we can agree on!

OBAMA IS A TOTAL COMMUNIST!!!!!!!!

His economic policies will turn this country into France if we are lucky, and Slovenia if we are not!

-We are playing with fire for the sake of "change."
Ahhhh Yes France......where unions actually have a say so in things such as pay, work rules, scope issues etc. Where France told us Iraq would turn into a Civil War and refused to get involved. Where France's economy is booming compared to the USA. Average car in France gets 54.6 miles to the gallon and is a diesel manual. What a terrible country. I mean France actually plans for the future and allows its citizens to have a say in how they are treated by corporations.......Just Terrible. How dare they exist......They do have some hot loose women though, but still thats not a reason to like them, lets nuke them they are horrible.

Once again Jmoney is stroking it to that brilliant an highly intelligent Sean Hanniety !!!

Oberstar! Oberstar! Oberstar!

Sounds like the General's love affair with Jimbo is on the rocks. At least Oberstar is consistent in being against mergers. ;)

BTW, if you think EJA will suffer one little bit from OB getting elected, you're criminally naive. Same for GLF, DA or BBD. TC

From the MPLS Star Tribune Letters to the Editor. These are the yahoos that reside in Minnesota. No hope, no hope.

OIL PRICES SOAR"

Nationalize airlines

As the price of oil shoots to infinity, the profitability of the airline industry grows futile. Airlines are desperately slashing salaries and canceling flight obligations. Without government intervention or assistance, they may shroud themselves into bankruptcy once again.
Clearly, as a solution, the government must take ownership of the entire sector. The airline industry could become what Metro Transit is here today -- a government public service, owned by the taxpayers.
If we continue the business-as-usual scenario, it is likely that the cost of flying will become too high for most to afford. We must repeal the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 if we wish to remain in the air.
JARED HELTEMES, MINNEAPOLIS

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/letters/19676924.html?page=3&c=y

Everything in this letter is so wrong. At what point do people think that it is a requirement that they be able to fly cheap? Why do people think that government is the answer? .........Why hasn't France won a war?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back