Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

psycho

Whup Dat Trick
According to local press reports, SCABS hoping to replace NWA Mechs are at the Best Western on Wickham road in Romulus. Only a fool would think a contract is sacred, so do not disturb the sleep of these heroes. Please no honking horns or car alarms.

NWA Mech's

Psycho,
Could you (or someone reading this post) give a little background, what exacty is going on with the mech's at NWA anyway?

Nwa

Haven't you heard or read the news? Northwest Airlines was asking for 26% pay cut and over 2,000 jobs to be gone...

The NWA mechanics were released from negotiations and are on a count down for a strike. Northwest is preparing for this by recruiting scabs and management. Supposedly they have over 1,000 people in line to replace NWA mechanic job's. BS! I hope the American public, and pilots included, realize that the aircraft they will be flying on won't be safe. I know I won't let anyone in my family fly on them when the strike goes into effect.

I hope NWA burns. The mechanics at NWA are the only legacy carrier left that has stood up and said no to management's request. It's about time a group has stood up to say enough is enough. I know I would never vote my union brother's job away. If I were in the mechanic's shoes I would offer a temporary pay reduction with NO JOBS to be lost. I'll take a pay cut before voting jobs away.

I did the math on this... If NWA wants $130 million in savings from the mechanics all they would have to do is raise a fare by $3. They want $1 billion total savings in labor; why not raise the fares by $18? silly management

IndyGTP said:
I hope NWA burns. The mechanics at NWA are the only legacy carrier left that has stood up and said no to management's request. It's about time a group has stood up to say enough is enough. I know I would never vote my union brother's job away. If I were in the mechanic's shoes I would offer a temporary pay reduction with NO JOBS to be lost. I'll take a pay cut before voting jobs away.

Do you work for NWA? Do you have a dog in this fight? You've said two different things in your statement, you'd vote for a pay cut and not to lose any jobs. The vote is for both. There is no option for a temporary pay cut. There is no option for a pay cut to save jobs. The only vote option is for a 26% pay cut and lose jobs. The way things are going, as of right now, there isn't going to be a vote. AMFA doesn't have the resources to endure a long tenure strike.

If the airplane isn't airworthy, in the Captains opinion, he won't accept it. The Captain won't put anyones life in jeopardy because of a maintenance issue. Are you implying that an airplane has to be maintained by union mechanics to be safe to fly in? Jet Blue is taking their aircraft to Honduras for work. The technicians in Honduras aren't unionized. Are Jet Blues aircraft unsafe? United is taking their aircarft to South Korea for heavy checks, are their aircraft unsafe?

NWA management has read the Frank Lorenzo book "Dummies for Eastern Airlines Management".

If you're this militant about an issue that doesn't concern you, then the only thing that I can see that you can do about this is to tie a diaper on your head, strap on a belt load of C-4, and run into the lobby of the hotel and meet Allah.

It's only a matter of time before the south of the border mx becomes an issue. I can't believe the FAA is onboard with that program.

Are you suggesting that "south of the border" FAA certificated repair stations are somehow less qualified than domestic FAA certificated repair stations?

IndyGTP said:
Haven't you heard or read the news? Northwest Airlines was asking for 26% pay cut and over 2,000 jobs to be gone...

Am I missing something here. Does the mechanics CBA require a minimum staffing level, in that management needs permission to lay off these folks?

Why wouldn't management just start wacking mechanics right now? They obviously feel they are 2000 fat.

bocefus said:
Are you suggesting that "south of the border" FAA certificated repair stations are somehow less qualified than domestic FAA certificated repair stations?

YES I AM!

Latest resources

Back