• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Nwa Recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When is the last time an ATI trained you in a cubical?

So are you saying you will let the ATIs who have seniority numbers do your seat support? What about the ATIs who have seniority numbers at other Majors (or regionals)? What about the pilots who had seniority numbers but gave it up to come to an ATI position (after a furlough)? What about the the ATIs who were line pilots but lost their medical?

If an ATI is NWA furloughed/medicaled out guy, sure. Different story, these guys were LINE pilots.

If an ATI has never NEVER flown the line, then no. BTW, test/ferry doesn't count.

Same goes for other airline types who are ATIs. Have they ever flown the line at NWA? If not, then no.

I can't imagine ANYONE giving up a number to be an ATI at NWA.

Don't get all bunched up. Why would I put my ticket on the line with a ATI who has light airplane experience at most, and NO 121 experience (although there are several ex-military/airline types who are excellent)? Go out, earn your number, get some line experience. The sim ain't the line.

Don't get me wrong. Most ATIs are good at what they do. Present the material and introduce the steps of the procedures. That doesn't make them line pilots, and never will.

But on top of the whole qualification issue, those support jobs belonged to NWA line pilot instructors. I disagree, on a number of levels, to giving those jobs up. So, to put my money where my mouth is, and as I have the option, I will make sure a line pilot instructor performs those tasks.

Nu

Last edited:
As for the ATI as seat support issue, luckily your preferences can be accomidated. (you didn't give up that much)

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't mind having an ATI as seat support. I don't understand why you say your ticket is "on the line" and an ATI has an impact on that. The ATIs job in that situation is "gear up". I wouldn't mind having a guy (or gal) who has seen the checkride a dozen times, has been in the stan meetings where they review common mistakes and testing procedures, and probably is friends with the check airmen.

That all said, which is all opinion, if I were NWA mainline I would not have given up the jobs in the first place. But, they can always squeeze in stuff like that in a TA that's otherwise good, who'll vote no? [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

They have not recalled guys out over 5 years yet. The only guys out over 5 years are the 30 or so on the very bottom that got furloughed immediately. Then the first big group (330) got furloughed right after xmas of '01. That includes all guys hired through about july of '01. I know b/c I was hired in june of '01 and I got furloughed dec 31, '01. I did talk to the union and everything being said is true... we all should get our first notice no later than feb 07 and either have to go back or give it up by early summer of 07 at the latest... Compass is by volunteer only and if you go to work at compass then you will go at 2nd yr pay (if you volunteer). I don't plan on going back right now... although that could change in the next 6-8 months depending on my current job. Time will tell but I really don't want to go back to a company that:

furloughs at will....
is in bankruptcy....
that recalled pilots two yrs ago just to refurlough them....
looking to merge or something....
has a crappy contract....
everyone is complaining about how bad it is....

Good luck on your decision everyone. It sure doesn't seem even close to the job we all left. I really liked my short time there and it's a shame it's turned into what it is now.

Tail

Compass

... Compass is by volunteer only and if you go to work at compass then you will go at 2nd yr pay (if you volunteer). I don't plan on going back right now... although that could change in the next 6-8 months depending on my current job. Time will tell ...

Tail

Does anybody know where NEWCO (Compass) pilots will be based? Rumors? Speculation?

Latest resources

Back