Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Av8rPHX said:
You've never heard of Minnesota Nice??

I've heard of it, and that's about it. Apparently it's only put into practice between Minnesotans. If you aren't from there, you might as well be a leper.

I've flown trips where the captain and FA are "locals". You might as well be by yourself, because they start up talking about who knew who from what high school, their house in Edina, the Gophers, and who's kid is on what hockey team. 15 minutes of this I could see, but the whole 4 day would be filling with this yakkity yak. Meanwhile, once they find out you commute ("gosh, how could you not like "the cities"! I'd NEVER live in <insert your home here>"), you are shown all the solicitude one normally associates with a stray cat.

All roads lead to Mecca (as we out-of-towners called Minneapolis). EVERY single bit of national news was immediately followed up by "how does this affect Minnesota?", even if it meant interviewing some guy (from MN, of course) who was only passing through the location 2 weeks after the event happened.

If by some strange wrinkle in the space time matrix you marry a girl from Minneapolis, you might as well buy the grave plot up there, 'cause she'll never move far from mom.

Oh, and no sense of humor, either. You ask someone from Alabama about "My Cousin Vinne", and they'll all agree it was a pretty funny movie, and Marisa Torme' is a smokin' hottie. Ask someone from MN about "Fargo", and you'll get 30 minutes about how the Fareley Brothers are the devil incarnate.

Of course, this is just my opinion...

Nu

Cappytan said:
You're serious? We're talking about New Orleans, LA? Right?

No, I'm talking about the one in Canada.

Seriously, I will grant you the summers were a powerful hot, but the food was the best, the clubs were kickin', the live music awesome, and the people some of the nicest I've ever met. Every person I met treated me like a long lost relative ("no, you can't leave, please sit and have some more tea"). Apparently it's OK there to just sit and relax. What a pleasant idea.

Most amusing is that EVERYONE seemed to have something going on the side. I was instructing a guy out at Lakefront, and I mentioned briefly about getting some new tires for my car.

I get a call the next day from a friend of my students, unsolicited, who owned a tire shop and set me up. I swear people there have a "Don't worry about it, I got a bud who handles <insert your need here>" for every situation.

Old school hospitality and manners. Nice to see some of that still exists.

Nu

Last edited:
NuGuy said:
I've heard of it, and that's about it. Apparently it's only put into practice between Minnesotans. If you aren't from there, you might as well be a leper.

Nu

I am glad someone else shares my distain for thats nasty place.
Its not Minnesota Nice...its Minneasota ice

Hey Flyguy,
How NWA choses to use aircraft in certain markets has nothing to do with "what a certain city deserves or does not deserve." Northwest uses 757's from city pairs such as MEM to MSP ( Two hub citys for NWA) because of Fare Equity. Most airlines make very little money if any at all, going to destinations such as MCO, MSY, TPA, HNL, ANC. This seems almost absurd when you see these flights packed to the rafters but destinations like MSY are primarily "excursion destinations" where people are going on vacation or personal travel. The passengers that purchase these tickets are more loyal to low fare price then in buisiness destinations where the Airlines recieve higher Fare Equity on 3 day advance purchase tickets in markets that require more frequency and seat capacity. Airlines change equipment in markets all the time due to the cyclical nature of the industry to maximize revenue potential. Your inquiry is more about trying to run a profitable airline then trying to give MSY the shaft.
Woody

Latest resources

Back