Nwa Pilots No Support Amfa?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
320AV8R said:
There are a select few on this board that take every opportunity to find fault with any and everything NWA and any of its pilots does.

But if it's 10:30 pm, and you're stuck in Bumfuctegypt, and a NWA airplane is the only way out, somehow their opinion changes; for the time being.

320AV8R

Back when you guy's walked out the last time, I was a mechanic at NWA. I do remember that our union tried to support the pilots. We were told by ALPA, "thanks but, no thanks." Consequently, you guy's walked and we got ferloughed....locked out....don't say the mechanics didn't support you. ALPA didn't support you.

All you union blowhards need to take a stance and stick with it.....not just when it suits your needs....you either are or you aren't....or you're just full of sh1t!!! I'm guessing its the later....

either way, don't blame the mechanics....at least they're willing to make a stand.

I'm not saying NWA should strike or not. I don't have a personal stake in the company. But I think any type of strike happens right now and there may not be a NWA to come back to afterwards. I don't see how that would help anyone there.

320AV8R said:
Don't exactly know what you mean......of course, it's hard to see things clearly after all the years of abuse.

NWA management is banking that pilots will fly. That is easy to assume given the "body language" of NWA ALPA on the issue. If ALPA's position was sympathy with the Mech's, NWA management would most likely look for their 70 million elsewhere. I have also been told that the 50% reduction in "on the property " mechanics subsidized with "contract" maint. will probably result in a net zero savings for the company. ALPA knows all of this, but is choosing to stand back and watch like it is a baseball game or something. What happened to the people that knowingly let NWA loss 1 Billion dollars in 1998 to prove their point?

Last edited:
castle bravo said:
dbrownie said:
Psycho,

"I remember all the "support" we got when we went on strike. "

That's my question as well. Where were the mechanics in '98?.

"Back when you guy's walked out the last time, I was a mechanic at NWA. I do remember that our union tried to support the pilots. We were told by ALPA, "thanks but, no thanks." Consequently, you guy's walked and we got ferloughed....locked out....don't say the mechanics didn't support you. ALPA didn't support you.

All you union blowhards need to take a stance and stick with it.....not just when it suits your needs....you either are or you aren't....or you're just full of sh1t!!! I'm guessing its the later....

either way, don't blame the mechanics....at least they're willing to make a stand"

This was 2 posts before yours , evidently you missed it.
WRV

WillowRunVortex said:
You forgot C) Wait until NWA decides to strong arm you guys by hiring/training replacement pilots.

You can't strong arm a guy who doesn't get a paycheck from them though...I think I'll keep this AFRE$ gig for a bit longer...maybe 'til I'm, oh, say, 60.

bizicmo said:
I'm not saying NWA should strike or not. I don't have a personal stake in the company. But I think any type of strike happens right now and there may not be a NWA to come back to afterwards. I don't see how that would help anyone there.
Can I get an AMEN...

WillowRunVortex said:
I have also been told that the 50% reduction in "on the property " mechanics subsidized with "contract" maint. will probably result in a net zero savings for the company.

Not sure I believe the witchcraft that produced these #s, but then again, I'm not an accountant.

WRV...I envy the mechanics, once NWA liquidates they can go on to be mechanics in some other field (ie auto mechanic) and make just as much $ if not more and have better working conditions. If I was them, I'd walk too, I just wouldn't expect to go back that is all.

Did you know that NWA's "plan" is to use contract mechanics to keep going if AMFA goes out?

WELL, did you know these contract "mechanics" are UN-LICENSED AUTO MECHANICS OR WORSE hired by ASIG?(fueling company).

You've already been getting sub-standard maintenance support from the contacted stuff already. You would be scared to death to see many of the things I saw done to NWA planes at contract maintenance facilities. Almost without fail, when one of these planes comes out of heavy checks from contractors, they have writeup after writeup (I've seen more than 100) on a sinlge A/C that have to be repaired by NWA mechanics!!! Not just small things mind you. MAJOR STRUCTURAL issues.

good luck with the auto guys working the gates for you....

bizicmo said:

NWA pilots supporting the Mech's would eliminate the strike threat. As it stands now, half of the mech's will be fired and the other half are so tired of this crap that they are willing to ride the ship down rather than take a pay cut and watch their buddies leave, knowing next time its them when NWA goes to full contract maintainance.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back