Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
psycho said:
Where are you guys?

I am sick. Consign me to hell in the Canadair Loser jet if you will. Work rules suck and pay scales are pitiful. Now come YOUR Mechanics and you bail on them TOO. Guess Steenland has your support come the 20TH. Good luck when it's your turn.

No one is talking and revealing their hand from the NWA MEC.

IMO the NWA MEC will not honor the mechanics strike as the mechanic union did not honor the NWA pilots in 1998 during the lockout (strike).

Shutting down NWA entirely would cause CH11 to be immediate, so the Executives at NWA have contracted our nemisis, Champion Air to fly as many of NWA flights as possible if the pilots honor the AMFA strike.

ALPA says that NWA management says, "grieve it" if you don't like it........nice tone to our negotiations....eh....

I think NWA has the worst labor managers in the industry.

I doubt after all is said and done this fall , NWA will have many new exec and managers.

Perhaps if NWA ALPA said next week to the pilot group, unfortunately 50% of you are going to be let go, because we find wet leasing more attractive to our bottom line and the remaining 50% of you will need to take a 26 percent paycut,

Your tune might change!!

You might also look at a AMT's toolbox on the next mx base overnight and particular attention to all of the 1/4" tooling, and the next time you get your 750I oil changed at the bmw dealership, look at a techs tool box there and the lack of anything small let alone not metric. There again with all the certifications of auto's today h/r doesn't really care how many rudder pcu's, vsv's, ffg's, mec's or spoiler mixers you've rigged, it doesn't carry over.

SMMustang said:
YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING!!!

There are times to go on strike, and other times not to. You do not go on strike during hard economic times for you company. This is a sinking ship and you believe that we should put more torpedoes in it? If the pilots wanted to put up a fight, they wouldn't have renegotiated their own contract. C'mon people think!

Unions are dead. Haven't you been reading about the AFL-CIO? The unions of this country have pretty much outsourced a lot of labor from this country to China! When you go to Wal-Mart and by the $5 made in China t-shirt instead of the $7 made in America tshirt, I guess I should call you a scab for that too!

The pilot profession is dead. Mechanics will be paid more that pilots eventually...why? Because their talents can be crossed over to other professions. Why should a mechanic work for $50/hour at Continental when he can go to BMW and get $65/hour with better working conditions. Pilots don't have that luxury, and therefore will be paid less and less in the future until you are pretty much just a bus driver.

Let's say the pilots did threaten a walkout...the company declares bankrupcy the day before the strike and the contract that we DID negotiate is tossed in favor of us making something less than what UA pilots are currently making...HOW WOULD THAT HELP THE PILOT INDUSTRY?

The only rational that I see other carriers wishing that the NWA pilots walk is to see NWA go Chapt 13 and create a lot of supply for their own selfish purposes.

Let's see what our options are

A) cross the mechanics line and hope the company stays afloat

B) Honor the picket line and start a new career as a Wal-Mart greeter.

Uh, Gee, I think I'll take option A.

Cactus-Wrench said:
Perhaps if NWA ALPA said next week to the pilot group, unfortunately 50% of you are going to be let go, because we find wet leasing more attractive to our bottom line and the remaining 50% of you will need to take a 26 percent paycut,

Your tune might change!!

You might also look at a AMT's toolbox on the next mx base overnight and particular attention to all of the 1/4" tooling, and the next time you get your 750I oil changed at the bmw dealership, look at a techs tool box there and the lack of anything small let alone not metric. There again with all the certifications of auto's today h/r doesn't really care how many rudder pcu's, vsv's, ffg's, mec's or spoiler mixers you've rigged, it doesn't carry over.

Won't/Can't change my tune when I don't get a paycheck from them.

Being a mechanic is a toolset...it does carry over to some extent. Let's put it this way, when a mechanic and a pilot show up to get a job as an auto mechanic, who's going to get hired?

SMMustang said:
Won't/Can't change my tune when I don't get a paycheck from them.

Being a mechanic is a toolset...it does carry over to some extent. Let's put it this way, when a mechanic and a pilot show up to get a job as an auto mechanic, who's going to get hired?

It doesnt matter if mech's can get other jobs,,,or the fact most pilots have trouble changing a light bulb in their home. The point is whats right is right and what's wrong is wrong. ALPA's mumbo jumbo, spin ,spin,spin, "here's why were not supporting the mech's" rhetoric doesnt change that fact.

Last edited:
Cactus-Wrench said:

Your tune might change!!

Cactus-Wrench,

That has already started at the pilot group. We have lost tons of flying to contract companies, (Mesaba and Pinnacle). No other group has stepped up to stop it. I don't expect anyone to.

I think it sucks what is happening to the Mechs but the pilots are not going to solve their problem.

NWA Alpa had a independant financial study done by a outside company we offered the results to AMFA, AMFA said "no thanks". AMFA is playing hardball with a bunch of cornered rats and is going to be bit.

Mechanics have been lining up to become replacement workers. I thought it was just pilots who had no souls.

Flight attendants are in the same crappy boat. Replacement workers are being trained as we speak. It stinks.

Dave B

dbrownie said:
Cactus-Wrench,

That has already started at the pilot group. We have lost tons of flying to contract companies, (Mesaba and Pinnacle). No other group has stepped up to stop it. I don't expect anyone to.

Dave B

I see DHC8 in your profile. You wouldnt happen to have been one of those awful Mesaba guys stealing main -line flying would you?

WillowRunVortex said:
I see DHC8 in your profile. You wouldnt happen to have been one of those awful Mesaba guys stealing main -line flying would you?

WillowRunVortex,

Nah, My DHC8 time was done at Allegheny.

I also do not think Mesaba or Pinnacle have "stolen" anything. They are delt the hand of flying by the morons in MSP.

For what it is worth I think we are lucky to have Mesaba and Pinnacle. The pilots I have delt with have always been supportive of us.

They like us are just along for the ride.

Dave B

Last edited:
The mech wiil get what they want because they have a strong union and solidarity. The additional cost will simply come out of the pilots salary/pension when NW files chapter 11 and copies UAL. Simple.

The way I see it is that AMFA had the opportunity to deal with the company to some extent. They decided to play hard ball and now the company wants to bust the union. After the pilots took their first round of pay cuts, they hoped the rest of the unions would also make concessions since the company was losing millions. They not only wouldn't deal, they told the pilots to get out of their business.

Now the company is giving AMFA an offer they can't accept. It is hard to get a majority vote when you are wanting to boot 53% of their workgroup. I can't see any of these 53% voting "Yes, I am giving up my job, but I sure hope NWA makes it." The company is forcing a strike and they will outsource most of their jobs. Welcome to America..

IMO, the mechs had an opportunity to get a much better deal, but thumbed their nose at the company. Obviously, NWA plays hard ball. They are making the flight attendents train replacement workers in case they support the strike or refuse to deal.

I don't think the pilots or flight attendents will support the strike. It will be interesting to see how much operations will be affected. I am sure they already have contracts in place at outstations, so the real problem will be the hubs.

furloughed dude said:
The way I see it is that AMFA had the opportunity to deal with the company to some extent. They decided to play hard ball and now the company wants to bust the union. After the pilots took their first round of pay cuts, they hoped the rest of the unions would also make concessions since the company was losing millions. They not only wouldn't deal, they told the pilots to get out of their business.

Now the company is giving AMFA an offer they can't accept. It is hard to get a majority vote when you are wanting to boot 53% of their workgroup. I can't see any of these 53% voting "Yes, I am giving up my job, but I sure hope NWA makes it." The company is forcing a strike and they will outsource most of their jobs. Welcome to America..

IMO, the mechs had an opportunity to get a much better deal, but thumbed their nose at the company. Obviously, NWA plays hard ball. They are making the flight attendents train replacement workers in case they support the strike or refuse to deal.

I don't think the pilots or flight attendents will support the strike. It will be interesting to see how much operations will be affected. I am sure they already have contracts in place at outstations, so the real problem will be the hubs.

In the old days we played hardball too. Write-ups would have skyrocketed, tires would have worn out much faster, on time? forget it. Down-line sick, etc, etc. We're making our own bed folks. NWA management is dreaming up a way to use contract/replacement pilots, why wouldnt they? Obviously the pilot group got their balls snipped. Who WOULD except a 53% reduction? That is ludacris.

Latest resources

Back