Nwa Pilots No Support Amfa?

psycho

Whup Dat Trick
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Posts
82
Total Time
5-6k
Where are you guys?

I am sick. Consign me to hell in the Canadair Loser jet if you will. Work rules suck and pay scales are pitiful. Now come YOUR Mechanics and you bail on them TOO. Guess Steenland has your support come the 20TH. Good luck when it's your turn.
 

COpilot

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2002
Posts
410
Total Time
12,000
You brought this up, and I'm going to say it again. What is the difference between you guys crossing the picket line, and the EAL guys that crossed?

I don't really care, I belive within each person they have a reason, some very good reasons to show up for work. It's just on a whole that most of you call someone like myself a scab (behind my back) because I went to work at CO, even though it was AFTER the strike. You call a EAL manager a SCAB when he/she flew, and they were outside of the contract.

But now you guys throw up your arms and say "oh this is not our fight" so we'll fly. What a bunch of hypocrites. And belive me I should know, I am one too, and work with plenty of them.
 
Last edited:

SMMustang

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 20, 2003
Posts
93
Total Time
3000
YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING!!!

There are times to go on strike, and other times not to. You do not go on strike during hard economic times for you company. This is a sinking ship and you believe that we should put more torpedoes in it? If the pilots wanted to put up a fight, they wouldn't have renegotiated their own contract. C'mon people think!

Unions are dead. Haven't you been reading about the AFL-CIO? The unions of this country have pretty much outsourced a lot of labor from this country to China! When you go to Wal-Mart and by the $5 made in China t-shirt instead of the $7 made in America tshirt, I guess I should call you a scab for that too!

The pilot profession is dead. Mechanics will be paid more that pilots eventually...why? Because their talents can be crossed over to other professions. Why should a mechanic work for $50/hour at Continental when he can go to BMW and get $65/hour with better working conditions. Pilots don't have that luxury, and therefore will be paid less and less in the future until you are pretty much just a bus driver.

Let's say the pilots did threaten a walkout...the company declares bankrupcy the day before the strike and the contract that we DID negotiate is tossed in favor of us making something less than what UA pilots are currently making...HOW WOULD THAT HELP THE PILOT INDUSTRY?

The only rational that I see other carriers wishing that the NWA pilots walk is to see NWA go Chapt 13 and create a lot of supply for their own selfish purposes.

Let's see what our options are

A) cross the mechanics line and hope the company stays afloat

B) Honor the picket line and start a new career as a Wal-Mart greeter.

Uh, Gee, I think I'll take option A.
 

WillowRunVortex

Former Sleepless Knight
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Posts
352
Total Time
D
SMMustang said:
YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING!!!

There are times to go on strike, and other times not to. You do not go on strike during hard economic times for you company. This is a sinking ship and you believe that we should put more torpedoes in it? If the pilots wanted to put up a fight, they wouldn't have renegotiated their own contract. C'mon people think!

Unions are dead. Haven't you been reading about the AFL-CIO? The unions of this country have pretty much outsourced a lot of labor from this country to China! When you go to Wal-Mart and by the $5 made in China t-shirt instead of the $7 made in America tshirt, I guess I should call you a scab for that too!

The pilot profession is dead. Mechanics will be paid more that pilots eventually...why? Because their talents can be crossed over to other professions. Why should a mechanic work for $50/hour at Continental when he can go to BMW and get $65/hour with better working conditions. Pilots don't have that luxury, and therefore will be paid less and less in the future until you are pretty much just a bus driver.

Let's say the pilots did threaten a walkout...the company declares bankrupcy the day before the strike and the contract that we DID negotiate is tossed in favor of us making something less than what UA pilots are currently making...HOW WOULD THAT HELP THE PILOT INDUSTRY?

The only rational that I see other carriers wishing that the NWA pilots walk is to see NWA go Chapt 13 and create a lot of supply for their own selfish purposes.

Let's see what our options are

A) cross the mechanics line and hope the company stays afloat

B) Honor the picket line and start a new career as a Wal-Mart greeter.

Uh, Gee, I think I'll take option A.

You forgot C) Wait until NWA decides to strong arm you guys by hiring/training replacement pilots.
 

320AV8R

DUMP ALPA
Joined
Oct 15, 2003
Posts
505
Total Time
2 much
I am sick. Consign me to hell in the Canadair Loser jet if you will. Work rules suck and pay scales are pitiful.
So it's the NWA mainline pilot's fault that your life sucks....got it. If it's so bad, why don't you quit ?

Now come YOUR Mechanics and you bail on them TOO.
Guess Steenland has your support come the 20TH
I assume that we are letting the RJ guys down......explain how. And we are bailing on the mechanics ? Explain how. The only thing ALPA has stated is that support for the mechanics, or lack thereof, won't be decided until after the strike deadline.

Good luck when it's your turn.
We'll need it, since there doesn't seem to be any support from anybody else.
Seems like everybody enjoys busting our balls, of course, until it comes time to ask for the Jumpseat.
320AV8R
 
Last edited:

WillowRunVortex

Former Sleepless Knight
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Posts
352
Total Time
D
320AV8R said:
We'll need it, since there doesn't seem to be any support from anybody else.
Seems like everybody enjoys busting our balls, of course, until it comes time to ask for the Jumpseat.
320AV8R

What's the jumpseat got to do with it? You guys are some of the biggest commuters out there. My guess is your not driving from DTW/MSP to Florida.
 

320AV8R

DUMP ALPA
Joined
Oct 15, 2003
Posts
505
Total Time
2 much
WillowRunVortex said:
What's the jumpseat got to do with it? You guys are some of the biggest commuters out there. My guess is your not driving from DTW/MSP to Florida.

There are a select few on this board that take every opportunity to find fault with any and everything NWA and any of its pilots does.

But if it's 10:30 pm, and you're stuck in Bumfuctegypt, and a NWA airplane is the only way out, somehow their opinion changes; for the time being.

320AV8R
 

WillowRunVortex

Former Sleepless Knight
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Posts
352
Total Time
D
320AV8R said:
There are a select few on this board that take every opportunity to find fault with any and everything NWA and any of its pilots does.

But if it's 10:30 pm, and you're stuck in Bumfuctegypt, and a NWA airplane is the only way out, somehow their opinion changes; for the time being.

320AV8R

Well thats not me. My family has a personal stake in what is transpiring at NWA. The simple fact of the matter is the NWA pilots are empowering NWA management, albeit indirectly. Anyone who has ANY excperience with the culture of NWA management knows that is a group that needs to be taken down a few notches not given more leverage.
 

dbrownie

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 13, 2004
Posts
261
Total Time
17,000
psycho said:
Where are you guys?

I am sick. Consign me to hell in the Canadair Loser jet if you will. Work rules suck and pay scales are pitiful. Now come YOUR Mechanics and you bail on them TOO. Guess Steenland has your support come the 20TH. Good luck when it's your turn.


Psycho,

What would you do? We cannot thump our chests and say we are going on strike during AMFA negotiations. NWA alpa position is to not say one way or another what we will do.

Who else are we "bailing on"? You have to be kidding me if you think we bailed on your work rules and pay?

I personally think it stinks that the company wants to outsource more of our mechanic's jobs. I like seeing a NWA mech showing up when we are broke somewhere.

I remember all the "support" we got when we went on strike.

Dave B
 

320AV8R

DUMP ALPA
Joined
Oct 15, 2003
Posts
505
Total Time
2 much
NWA pilots are empowering NWA management, albeit indirectly.
Don't exactly know what you mean......of course, it's hard to see things clearly after all the years of abuse.

Anyone who has ANY excperience with the culture of NWA management knows that is a group that needs to be taken down a few notches not given more leverage.
WillowRunVortex and I agree on something !!!!

320AV8R
 

ohplease!

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 20, 2004
Posts
1,477
Total Time
10K+
320AV8R said:
There are a select few on this board that take every opportunity to find fault with any and everything NWA and any of its pilots does.

But if it's 10:30 pm, and you're stuck in Bumfuctegypt, and a NWA airplane is the only way out, somehow their opinion changes; for the time being.

320AV8R

Back when you guy's walked out the last time, I was a mechanic at NWA. I do remember that our union tried to support the pilots. We were told by ALPA, "thanks but, no thanks." Consequently, you guy's walked and we got ferloughed....locked out....don't say the mechanics didn't support you. ALPA didn't support you.

All you union blowhards need to take a stance and stick with it.....not just when it suits your needs....you either are or you aren't....or you're just full of sh1t!!! I'm guessing its the later....


either way, don't blame the mechanics....at least they're willing to make a stand.
 

bizicmo

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Posts
880
Total Time
+1000
I'm not saying NWA should strike or not. I don't have a personal stake in the company. But I think any type of strike happens right now and there may not be a NWA to come back to afterwards. I don't see how that would help anyone there.
 

WillowRunVortex

Former Sleepless Knight
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Posts
352
Total Time
D
320AV8R said:
Don't exactly know what you mean......of course, it's hard to see things clearly after all the years of abuse.

NWA management is banking that pilots will fly. That is easy to assume given the "body language" of NWA ALPA on the issue. If ALPA's position was sympathy with the Mech's, NWA management would most likely look for their 70 million elsewhere. I have also been told that the 50% reduction in "on the property " mechanics subsidized with "contract" maint. will probably result in a net zero savings for the company. ALPA knows all of this, but is choosing to stand back and watch like it is a baseball game or something. What happened to the people that knowingly let NWA loss 1 Billion dollars in 1998 to prove their point?
 
Last edited:

WillowRunVortex

Former Sleepless Knight
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Posts
352
Total Time
D
castle bravo said:
dbrownie said:
Psycho,

"I remember all the "support" we got when we went on strike. "



That's my question as well. Where were the mechanics in '98?.



"Back when you guy's walked out the last time, I was a mechanic at NWA. I do remember that our union tried to support the pilots. We were told by ALPA, "thanks but, no thanks." Consequently, you guy's walked and we got ferloughed....locked out....don't say the mechanics didn't support you. ALPA didn't support you.

All you union blowhards need to take a stance and stick with it.....not just when it suits your needs....you either are or you aren't....or you're just full of sh1t!!! I'm guessing its the later....


either way, don't blame the mechanics....at least they're willing to make a stand"


This was 2 posts before yours , evidently you missed it.
WRV
 

SMMustang

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 20, 2003
Posts
93
Total Time
3000
WillowRunVortex said:
You forgot C) Wait until NWA decides to strong arm you guys by hiring/training replacement pilots.

You can't strong arm a guy who doesn't get a paycheck from them though...I think I'll keep this AFRE$ gig for a bit longer...maybe 'til I'm, oh, say, 60.
 

SMMustang

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 20, 2003
Posts
93
Total Time
3000
bizicmo said:
I'm not saying NWA should strike or not. I don't have a personal stake in the company. But I think any type of strike happens right now and there may not be a NWA to come back to afterwards. I don't see how that would help anyone there.
Can I get an AMEN...
 

SMMustang

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 20, 2003
Posts
93
Total Time
3000
WillowRunVortex said:
I have also been told that the 50% reduction in "on the property " mechanics subsidized with "contract" maint. will probably result in a net zero savings for the company.

Not sure I believe the witchcraft that produced these #s, but then again, I'm not an accountant.

WRV...I envy the mechanics, once NWA liquidates they can go on to be mechanics in some other field (ie auto mechanic) and make just as much $ if not more and have better working conditions. If I was them, I'd walk too, I just wouldn't expect to go back that is all.
 

ohplease!

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 20, 2004
Posts
1,477
Total Time
10K+
Did you know that NWA's "plan" is to use contract mechanics to keep going if AMFA goes out?


WELL, did you know these contract "mechanics" are UN-LICENSED AUTO MECHANICS OR WORSE hired by ASIG?(fueling company).

You've already been getting sub-standard maintenance support from the contacted stuff already. You would be scared to death to see many of the things I saw done to NWA planes at contract maintenance facilities. Almost without fail, when one of these planes comes out of heavy checks from contractors, they have writeup after writeup (I've seen more than 100) on a sinlge A/C that have to be repaired by NWA mechanics!!! Not just small things mind you. MAJOR STRUCTURAL issues.

good luck with the auto guys working the gates for you....
 

WillowRunVortex

Former Sleepless Knight
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Posts
352
Total Time
D
bizicmo said:
I'm not saying NWA should strike or not. I don't have a personal stake in the company. But I think any type of strike happens right now and there may not be a NWA to come back to afterwards. I don't see how that would help anyone there.

NWA pilots supporting the Mech's would eliminate the strike threat. As it stands now, half of the mech's will be fired and the other half are so tired of this crap that they are willing to ride the ship down rather than take a pay cut and watch their buddies leave, knowing next time its them when NWA goes to full contract maintainance.
 
Last edited:
Top