• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA Leather Jackets........

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think that dressing the part is important. If my lawyer came into the room wearing jeans and a polo shirt, I would take my money elsewhere. The image in the public eye is important. The FDX guys dont have to worry about that. The reason we dress the way we dress is to seperate us from the rest of the work group (the hat). We are the pinnacle of labor at an airline. The moment they get us to dress, look, and act like the rest we are in trouble. We are leaps and bounds ahead in education and required knowledge to do our jobs. If they can get us to blend in with the rest of labor and possibly feel like the rest of the work group. Then the hopes is that we dont feel "special" enough to request that much more than median earnings of our other work related peers. Its getting harder for me to distinguish between FA and FOs. I for one will do everything as a professional to keep this position looking respectful. Yes I wear my hat. No leather jacket. I save that for my motorcycle or when Im working as a bouncer at the front door because my pay has not kept up to what it should be.

I look at the leather jacket as a homage,and a tribute to our round engine,taildraggin,all weather ,open cockpit routes. I think it looks great,not unprofessional at all, but please lose the dorky hat.

Look, this is all just opinions anyway. Do I care if some uptight guy doesn't like my wrinkly shirt on day 4? Hell no, I don't care what he thinks, because I know who I am, I know why my shirt is wrinkly, and I know that his opinion does not matter at all. Pilots don't know anything at all about business or pay. They are 100% ignorant and ineffective. How do I know that all pilot's know nothing whatsoever about business? We get paid sh!t. That's how I know. Every single time, with very few exceptions, pilot's are completely outclassed by management. Management plays chess, pilots play dodgeball. Management wins and pilots lose every single time. The only exceptions are pilots at companies that are making such huge profits, that every time management farts, $1000 comes out. Only a raving lunatic couldn't negotiate a fair share at the ultra-profitables. And, by the way, those are the guys who get to wear comfortable clothes to work. So, all you guys who care what OTHER PEOPLE wear to work: Sit back, relax with a nice GQ, or MAXIM, or COSMO, and save your anal remarks for your shrink. Oh, by the way, the nice suits management wears are actually quite comfortable. They are nothing like the sh!tty polyester McDonald's style crap pilots are given.

If you wan't to tell others what to wear:
1) Join management
2) Become a fashion designer
3) Do something that unifies pilots and gets us paid more FROM DAY 1 OF THE JOB. (and, by the way, that does not include being a fashion nazi).

There are at least two things pilots don't have any natural skill, talent, or authority on: Fashion, and business. Trying to make authoritative statements correlating the two is absurd.

Last edited:
Amen!

Look, this is all just opinions anyway. Do I care if some uptight guy doesn't like my wrinkly shirt on day 4? Hell no, I don't care what he thinks, because I know who I am, I know why my shirt is wrinkly, and I know that his opinion does not matter at all. Pilots don't know anything at all about business or pay. They are 100% ignorant and ineffective. How do I know that all pilot's know nothing whatsoever about business? We get paid sh!t. That's how I know. Every single time, with very few exceptions, pilot's are completely outclassed by management. Management plays chess, pilots play dodgeball. Management wins and pilots lose every single time. The only exceptions are pilots at companies that are making such huge profits, that every time management farts, $1000 comes out. Only a raving lunatic couldn't negotiate a fair share at the ultra-profitables. And, by the way, those are the guys who get to wear comfortable clothes to work. So, all you guys who care what OTHER PEOPLE wear to work: Sit back, relax with a nice GQ, or MAXIM, or COSMO, and save your anal remarks for your shrink. Oh, by the way, the nice suits management wears are actually quite comfortable. They are nothing like the sh!tty polyester McDonald's style crap pilots are given.

If you wan't to tell others what to wear:
1) Join management
2) Become a fashion designer
3) Do something that unifies pilots and gets us paid more FROM DAY 1 OF THE JOB. (and, by the way, that does not include being a fashion nazi).

There are at least two things pilots don't have any natural skill, talent, or authority on: Fashion, and business. Trying to make authoritative statements correlating the two is absurd.

Okay, finally someone who gets it! To that guy...the pinnaple guy-128, Come down off your high horse and realise you are a pilot and not some fashion attorney! OUr office is not the courtroom or the board room! OUrs is the flight line and the flight deck! Our polyester uniforms are not something derived from 5th avenue! They are a throwback to a military type uniform which is out dated and uncomfortable! And by the way, i have friends who make over a 100 grand a year and wear polo shirts and khakis everyday except when they are having important meetings. And to me, walking around a plane through the elements and glychol is not an important meeting! My pride in my looks, how i present myself.......mmmm leather jacket, means i am smart and like to be comfortable.....I sure hope you can understand that you are the minority...and please do not become management...I do not want your opinions oppressing me and how this industry is. Our responsability in providing a service is why we deserve great pay and work rules, not the polyster suit and dated hat!

Was that English? I lost track after the third run-on sentence and tenth misspelled word. :rolleyes:

Those unprofessional military pilots, they started it all.

It's all their fault. They are ruining your pay, oh wait, they too make more than most of us.

Then wear jeans and a Led Zep t-shirt to work for the next trip you have.... where do you draw the line?

That is why it is called a uniform. uni. So the guys who don't think a dress code matters don't show up looking like punks....

Funny, when you wanted the job I bet you dressed up real nice.....

Funny, that is just about what I wear to fly almost all the time. I don't feel unprofessional at all.

How many of you wear your uniforms to the sim? Aren't you professional for your proficiency check?

Also, for the dude arguing that the hat makes you the pinnacle of the aviation employees, how about those skycaps out there at the curb? Most of them wear hats and I don't see too many passengers confusing them with the pilots.

FJ

Funny, that is just about what I wear to fly almost all the time. I don't feel unprofessional at all.

It is not about how you feel. it is about the preception of your passengers/customers. As a Freight dog it is a different arguement....

How many of you wear your uniforms to the sim? Aren't you professional for your proficiency check?

I consider my dress code for a simulator event. I want to make a favorable impression. As a result I am quite satisfied with my training record.

Also, for the dude arguing that the hat makes you the pinnacle of the aviation employees, how about those skycaps out there at the curb? Most of them wear hats and I don't see too many passengers confusing them with the pilots.

FJ

There are alot of Sky Caps at the Pentagon. :rolleyes:

The NWA MEC passed a resolution 2-years ago that directed the MEC Chairman to seek leather flight jackets for NWA pilots. It came from the ANC council pilots - our freight dawgs - who wanted something functional to wear.

The chief pilot chose the style of jacket and made it optional. (Hats are already optional) Some pilots are opting to wear it. Some aren't.

Pilots who blame NWA management for the decision to allow leather jackets need to do some reading. The minutes of NWA MEC meetings would be a good place to start.

Executive Summary: The pilot group's leadership asked for leather jackets. Wearing them is an option. Bigger issues exist.

SCENE.

Ok Rez, you have a dress code for the sim. Does it include the uniform? Do you wear your uniform in the sim for a PC? Simple question really.

FJ

Latest resources

Back