• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA Leather Jackets........

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
swa pilots had leather jackets from day 1 or almost from day 1. big difference, and they were not always, by a long shot , the best compensated, quite the oposite.
go backy to june 2000, see who had leather jackets and what their compensation was.

again is just one more mental game from management.

it is not about what people think, is about the perception you give to management and the peception of worth you have over yourself.
What does that have to do with leather? Contracts are decided in the negotiating room; not walking through the terminals.
have you ever seen a legacy airline CEO go to a board meeting wearing a leather jacket?no, they wear armani suits and prada shoes.
How many layovers, walks to McDonalds, exterior preflights in dripping glycol, trips through security, and tired commutes do CEOs have? You're comparing their jobs to ours?
it is all psychological.
To you it is. To me, it's about convenience at a job that wreaks havoc with quality of life.
every union should negotiate expensive designer uniforms to the shoes and t-shirts with very small epaulets.
And you think this would make management respect us more? Methinks your knowldege of phsychology needs some work. All that would do is increase our day-to-day cost to maintain our uniforms.
conduct yourself with pride, don't sell yourself short.
Absolutely! Why did you change the subject?
the leather jacket is one more way to lower your expectations and diminish your self worth.
Lofty words. Prove it! That's right; prove it. Prove that the pilots at airlines that permit leather jackets give more concessions than those that don't. Until you can your opinion is nothing more than an opinion.
and no, at home I don't dress with expensive suits, but at work , you should. .
People who wear expensive suits generally own many of them. Who exactly would you expect to pay for multiple uniforms? The company? Yeah sure, what concessions are you willing to give for the priviledge of wearing fancy uniforms? You think they're just going to give them to us?

it is not about what people think, is about the perception you give to management and the peception of worth you have over yourself. have you ever seen a legacy airline CEO go to a board meeting wearing a leather jacket?no, they wear armani suits and prada shoes.

it is all psicological. if you dress like a truck driver you will get paid like a truck driver. it is one more of the many management ways to "show us " how little they value you and your services, how you don't belong making six figures and how they are entitled to their huge pay. they are superior to you, they drive nice cars , have big homes and dress with expensive suits. you don't , because you shouldn't, because you are a worthless comodity.

every union should negotiate expensive designer uniforms to the shoes and t-shirts with very small epaulets. dress pilots like businessmen, doctors,lawyers......highly paid proffesionals.

conduct yourself with pride, don't sell yourself short. have you ever heard one of those upper management clowns prop him/herself up about something he /she did that a 3 year old could have done ?they make everything they do seem incredible...the cool/hero factor of flying needs to go away, the "good old boy just doing my job" attitude needs to go away. docotrs don't make what they do sound cool, they make it sound important and difficult and don't wear leather jackets and dirty $50 shoes. If you want to earn like a doctor act like one, proyect your proffesion to be as important as theirs, dress like you should. your sense of worth is all psicological.

the leather jacket is one more way to lower your expectations and diminish your self worth.

I know it sounds weird, but is one more psicological battle we just lost.

and no, at home I don't dress with expensive suits, but at work , you should. .

Ha,ha.ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ho,ho,ho,ho,ho,BwwwHaaa,ha.
Best laugh this year.

swa pilots had leather jackets from day 1 or almost from day 1. big difference, and they were not always, by a long shot , the best compensated, quite the oposite.
go backy to june 2000, see who had leather jackets and what their compensation was.

again is just one more mental game from management.

Snowbum,

I've held my tongue long enough. After reading all of your posts on this thread I can't help but laugh at your attempts to raise the perception of the professional pilot to that of doctors and CEOs. Your main argument in order to do this is to basically tell all of us to stop wearing leather jackets. I'll make you a deal, I'll stop wearing a leather jacket if you promise to make one single post that does not have spelling/grammatical errors all over it. God help all of us if you get into a position to bargin with CEOs through written correspondence. I know this is just a message board, and generally I would just look the other way, but I'd rather look like a "unprofessional" in my leather jacket than spell/type like my 3 year old. I guess it's just "psicological"... but hey that's me.

Deer Mr. Airline CEO,

We pilots our unifyied. Just look at how we dress, proffessional... just like you. We demand hi salarys and better working conditions. Please except are terms.

Thank you,
Snowbum

Last edited:
Snowbum:

It appears that you like the argument and philosophy of blaming the victim, as if through their own behavior, they have brought their fates upon themselves. You are claiming that because a pilot desires comfort and high utility from his enforced (and expensive) work clothing, he deserves greedy and unethical management. I suppose that battered children don't behave well enough, and rape victims just dress too sexy, also?

Last edited:
what I was trying to say is that before all the QOL,PAY and Bennies cuts, most of us who worked for the regionals, outfits and LCC's wore leather jackets and wanted to work for the big boys.

now that the big boys compensation has gone down to equal ( in some cases even worse) that of the LCC's and outfits, they get the leather jacket too. coincidence? not.It is one more thing management has done to separate you from the good all days of 2000 and before.

I don't think your job as a pilot is more important of that of the CEO ( is not) or that you should get paid like one.

I don't think you are less profesional for wearing a leather jacket. but it does separate you from the days when this was a real career and a real profesion( like doctors or lawyers) , with real earning potential, good QOL, retirement and respect.

Snowbum, thanks, that last statement makes more sense. I would only go on to say that I do not believe refusing the leather jacket will make things better regarding pay and QOL. So, why not enjoy being somewhat more comfortable at work?

I'm sure airline managers all over the planet are trying to figure out how to get you to wear paper hats next.

There's about as much correlation between leather jackets and pay cuts as there is between what my neighbors dog ate for breakfast and why the Eagles beat the Cowboys.

I guess Fed Ex pilots are not professional either, didn't they just sign a very lucrative contract? And oh yeah they don't wear hats either.

Latest resources

Back