• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA Leather Jackets........

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
it is not about what people think, is about the perception you give to management and the peception of worth you have over yourself. have you ever seen a legacy airline CEO go to a board meeting wearing a leather jacket?no, they wear armani suits and prada shoes.

it is all psicological. if you dress like a truck driver you will get paid like a truck driver. it is one more of the many management ways to "show us " how little they value you and your services, how you don't belong making six figures and how they are entitled to their huge pay. they are superior to you, they drive nice cars , have big homes and dress with expensive suits. you don't , because you shouldn't, because you are a worthless comodity.

every union should negotiate expensive designer uniforms to the shoes and t-shirts with very small epaulets. dress pilots like businessmen, doctors,lawyers......highly paid proffesionals.

conduct yourself with pride, don't sell yourself short. have you ever heard one of those upper management clowns prop him/herself up about something he /she did that a 3 year old could have done ?they make everything they do seem incredible...the cool/hero factor of flying needs to go away, the "good old boy just doing my job" attitude needs to go away. docotrs don't make what they do sound cool, they make it sound important and difficult and don't wear leather jackets and dirty $50 shoes. If you want to earn like a doctor act like one, proyect your proffesion to be as important as theirs, dress like you should. your sense of worth is all psicological.

the leather jacket is one more way to lower your expectations and diminish your self worth.

I know it sounds weird, but is one more psicological battle we just lost.

and no, at home I don't dress with expensive suits, but at work , you should. .

if you dress like a truck driver you will get paid like a truck driver

Most truck drivers get paid more than most airline pilots when they start out.

When you're a member of a union you will be treated like labor unless you can hold your skills out independently of the industry. Don't see much of that do you?

If you want to blame someone, blame your union for reducing your standards (assuming you voted against the concessions) and your management for incompetence. Just make sure you blame someone else. If this were a true profession you could go independent. Like a doctor or a lawyer or a trucker or a gypsy cab.

actually most truck drivers start at 25-30k a year and make about $50k a year after having enough experienceto drive triple loads, unless they are working as a team driver( read 24 hours non-stop on trucks coast to coast) or nigth shifts with no weekends and split days off, in wich case they can pull 70-80k. A ups truck driver with lots of senority and a cake route makes abour 70k(no overtime ) ,but geting hired as a ups or fedex truck driver is like getting hired as a ups/fedex pilot ( lots of experience needed, lots of applicants).

I'm not blaming leather jackets for the pitiful state of the industry, however, it is just one more psychological factor to add on the pile of "you are not worth it".

it used to be that there was a big pay, benefits and QOL difference between legacy pilots and everyone else, and the "everyone else " pilots had leather jackets ( and wanted to be legfacy pilots). now there is not much difference between the LCC/everyone else and the legacies when it comes to PAY bennies and QOL, and the legacy uniform now includes a leather jacket.it is a way for management to make you feel like you are not worth more as a UAL 747-400 captain than a 320 skybus FO.

is all about perception , the perception of selfworth you have about yourself and the management perceptiopn of you and your worth.

Last edited:
Have you seen how much UPS and CAL pay to start?

The "$25-30K" you quote is still higher than all regional carriers.

Saw one of the NWA pilots wearing the leather jacket the other day... just doesn't look right, I have to say.

I guess I'm too traditional...

Southwest pilots are, overall, the best paid pilots in our country. Southwest management respects, supports, and appreciates their pilot group. Southwest management treat their pilots as assets, rather than as liabilities. Southwest pilots wear leather jackets. (They also get cheap beer at their hotels and only have an 8 hour rule, rather than 12, because Southwest knows they are professionals, not high school kids, and the pilots know that it is OK to have fun.)

What you wear to work does not matter to ANYONE. The only things that matter are:

Do you enjoy your work and do it well?
Do you earn enough to support your family?
Do your work rules protect you from exhaustion/chronic stress?
Do your work rules keep your job as one worth having?

What you wear has no bearing on any of these factors.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back