• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA flow back into compass.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Trust me, instrument "skills" do deteriorate in a glass cockpit. I went from flying dual fms glass in jets for five years and just recently transitioned to a single, first generation fms setup in a turboprop (which is still more advanced than the dc-9) and it took some adjustment. Whether you notice it or not, glass does take a ton of work out of flying-but it has nothing to do with your "skills" as a pilot.

Your post is dead on accurate, but it will fall on deaf ears.(WSurf)

Glass does one thing, it narrows your scan to a more smaller defined area. Never said glass didn't make life easier.

By looking at a Flight Director you have the luxury of not looking at your Alt, A/S, VSI, Heading. Basically reducing your scan.

If you wanna sharpin your insturment skills either in Glass or Steam. Just turn off the flight director and hand fly.

Like I said, its all the same. Modern Glass just narrows the scan area and makes life easier.

All the same, you pull back houses get smaller. You push forward and they get bigger.

If you keep pulling back, they get smaller and then all the sudden get bigger really fast.

Okay, your all pilots now. So Go have fun with the profession you have chosen.

Last edited:
Glass does one thing, it narrows your scan to a more smaller defined area. Never said glass didn't make life easier.

By looking at a Flight Director you have the luxury of not looking at your Alt, A/S, VSI, Heading. Basically reducing your scan.

If you wanna sharpin your insturment skills either in Glass or Steam. Just turn off the flight director and hand fly.

Like I said, its all the same. Modern Glass just narrows the scan area.

Just like I predicted, deaf ears.

What glass experience do you have?

Sorry to have to discredit you once again but...really the only time you actually have the luxury of following the FD in the 9 is on an ILS. Like I said, it's primitive at best.

Just like I predicted, deaf ears.

What glass experience do you have?

Sorry to have to discredit you once again but...really the only time you actually have the luxury of following the FD in the 9 is on an ILS. Like I said, it's primitive at best.

Dang, I only have the Poor Man's Glass experience!
Called Ghetto Glass.

WOW, I just found out I must be a good insturment pilot then!!! Yeaaaa.

I gotta get GL to walk my resume into Delta now!

:)

Dang, I only have the Poor Man's Glass experience!
Called Ghetto Glass.

WOW, I just found out I must be a good insturment pilot then!!! Yeaaaa.

:)

You know, I'd bet you do have good instrument skills. However, you just proved my entire point of the thread, which is...commenting on something you know nothing about!(glass vs steam)

Last edited:
Your too funny! It was just amusing having a DC-9 driver talking about sharping insturment skills.

While I respect and admire that Airplane, its too bad a tool like you is behind the controls.

Your too funny! It was just amusing having a DC-9 driver talking about sharping insturment skills.

While I respect and admire that Airplane, its too bad a tool like you is behind the controls.

I see you've started taking grammar lessons from smarta$$.

Typical response from someone who's been completely discredited. Can't defend your position.

That is true :D

Hey now. That rag-painted, Soviet blue, hot-as-balls collection of oddball switches, gauges, and lights subsidized your Brazilian wonderjet and the jobs it provided, as did the pilots who fly it day in and day out.

So... Be nice!

And, yeah, you're right. Overall, it's pretty cool. :)

It's a means not an end. I'm probably the biggest DC-9 supporter out there. Compass and Northwest pilots interests are not exclusive. If I were running things I'd bring DC-9s, DC-10s, and 727s out of the desert. I'll fly what pays the most and fits my lifestyle (I hate commuting). If Compass paid $100 an hour to fly the C152 I'd be first in line to sign up. But I wouldn't fly a C150, I'm much too good for that.;)

Just goes to show you have no clue. What's the matter, can't back statements in your posts. I guess it's hard since there are no facts in your post. Pitiful.

Jeez, kinda of interesting little article! Someone else that has no clue or thought just like me. Oh whatever! Too Funny!
So do you like apples???

http://www.aviationplanning.com/asrc1.htm

[FONT=Tahoma, Ariel, Lucida]This also points to the possibility of AA retiring a number of MD-80s (nee "Super-80s") from its fleet to cut costs. Or NW suddenly slashing out the last of its DC-9s from its fleet. (Note that these are the mainstay of the NW focus operation at IND, along with CRJs. Conclusions can be drawn.)[/FONT]​

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back