• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA flow back into compass.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's the lease payment on a plane the size of a DC-9? Somewhere north of $100K/mo. Those DC-9's are paid for, yeah they burn more fuel but is it $100K/mo. more than a similar sized aircraft? probably not[/QUOT

Last year I was involve in aircraft acquisitions. Specifically the B737-800/700. Current lease prices from CIT/IFLC/etc. are around 420,000 - 400,000 USD/mo.

You can pay for a lot of fuel with that. Specifically with the short stage length (high frequency) of the DC9.

Good point!

Just some rough math here. Suppose a DC-9 flies 8 hours a day. That's 240 hours per month. Lets say it burns 5000/lbs per hour. That equals 1.2M lbs/6.7= 179,100 Gal per month. At $3/gal that's $537,300 per month for fuel. Even if a new airplane burns half as much fuel as the DC-9 the lease payment is gonna shoot the operating cost through the roof. Of course the DC9 would have higher maintenance costs but until they get to be up near the cost of leasing a newer plane it makes sense just to keep flying the DC9

Yep,...I totally agree. The DC9 is a different breed. It is always ready to go due to its simplicity. It burns 5-6 thousand pounds per hour at a .76 econ cruise. But there are no high priced lease costs. Maint is always an issue with older aircraft, but it is a simple bird.

Put fuel in the tanks and off you go.

They are great aircraft, fun to fly.

But Delta may change that on next Tuesday,...

Yep,...I totally agree. The DC9 is a different breed. It is always ready to go due to its simplicity. It burns 5-6 thousand pounds per hour at a .76 econ cruise. But there are no high priced lease costs. Maint is always an issue with older aircraft, but it is a simple bird.

Put fuel in the tanks and off you go.

They are great aircraft, fun to fly.

But Delta may change that on next Tuesday,...[/quote]

Yeah it is :beer:

Whats the significance of Tuesday?

You must work for NW or Comapss. I am sorry

Okay, we'll just wait and see.

They are getting rid of the 9's but I see with fuel prices increasing that they would speed that process up.

And with the Delta deal not going thru, hmmm

Just a thought..... sorry i am clueless!!!

I bow to you oh might one!!!
Wow...I used to think this guy posted some decent info...After this, I am clearly wrong....obviously not one that offers credibilty in his response....Lets hope this is a "one off" poor reply to a subject he is clearly off base with no decent intelligence on.

I rode on a DC-9 yesterday. New paint, new interior. It's a great plane

You obviously didn't ride up front.:D The paint that isn't wore off looks like it was painted on with a rag, and the collection of miscellaneous levers, switches, and instruments looks Soviet period. On the other hand you feel like you are riding in a tank and the lack of avionics cooling fans makes for a relatively quite ride. Overall pretty cool.

You obviously didn't ride up front.:D The paint that isn't wore off looks like it was painted on with a rag, and the collection of miscellaneous levers, switches, and instruments looks Soviet period. On the other hand you feel like you are riding in a tank and the lack of avionics cooling fans makes for a relatively quite ride. Overall pretty cool.
I went up and took a look. I was gonna ride up front but I got a pretty good seat in back. It reminded me of the C-5 flightdeck

Wow...I used to think this guy posted some decent info...After this, I am clearly wrong....obviously not one that offers credibilty in his response....Lets hope this is a "one off" poor reply to a subject he is clearly off base with no decent intelligence on.

Yeah, although I gave him a hard time I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt. Misguided on this subject but I'm sure he's a good "dude". Now smarta$$...that's another subject. He's just flat out dumb. I can't believe my tax money paid for that G.E.D. education, I need a refund!

Last edited:

Thats where all the charm is :beer:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back