• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA flow back into compass.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Too funny! How did I bash NW or Compass?? Please quote anything I said that Bashed NW or Compass. Just by saying that if the price of fuel goes up that DC-9's could get parked at a faster rate.

What, Where and When!

LOL

With gas prices going out of control I would doubt that the gas guzzling DC-9's will be around by Summers end.

If that happens, then you can start worrying about a flowback.

First off, we all know that talking about NWA DC-9's and their fate is a horse that has been beaten to a pulp, so it's old when someone thinks they are trailblazing a news story down the same path. (Is anyone else tired of seeing "BREAKING NEWS" at the bottom of the CNN screen, continuously?)

2nd... You have one opinion (gas prices going out of control) and two speculations that follow in the post above. The first opinion is perhaps not one shared by others, and thus could be deemed sensationalism. Yes, oil is priced high, but is it out-of-control? Hence, the two speculations lose credibility.

3rd... if we apply business sense to this... NWA couldn't just dissolve a fleet over a few months, it would leave a hole so big in this incredibly tight market.

First off, we all know that talking about NWA DC-9's and their fate is a horse that has been beaten to a pulp, so it's old when someone thinks they are trailblazing a news story down the same path. (Is anyone else tired of seeing "BREAKING NEWS" at the bottom of the CNN screen, continuously?)

2nd... You have one opinion (gas prices going out of control) and two speculations that follow in the post above. The first opinion is perhaps not one shared by others, and thus could be deemed sensationalism. Yes, oil is priced high, but is it out-of-control? Hence, the two speculations lose credibility.

3rd... if we apply business sense to this... NWA couldn't just dissolve a fleet over a few months, it would leave a hole so big in this incredibly tight market.

Exactly, good post!...See Wsurf, everyone else seems to get it. It's not about your opinion, you made a blatantly inaccurate STATEMENT on a subject where you have no information except for what you read on FI.

"Please son, don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun." WSurf...Let me give you some advice from someone who has handled many a firearm: RULE #1: When holding a gun make sure to point AWAY from self. Got it WSurf?

Debate over. Take care WSurf.

You guys are ganging up on wsurf for no reason. He has an opinion, and is entitled to have said opinion. His concerns are valid, and you don't know what the future holds for the cost of fuel or the future of the DC9. You here what NW is CURRENTLY saying about the 9, but you have no idea what they might decide tommorrow.

You my be sick of hearing this arguement, but that doesn't mean you know the diffinative outcome.

You are both tools. Gas prices are obviously out of control recently. It does not take a genious to see that oil has tripled in five years. Has any of our wages tripled in the last five years for a comparable position?

Last edited:
You guys are ganging up on wsurf for know reason. (Yes, I know) He has an opinion, and is entitled to have said opinion. His concerns are valid,(He works for Piedmont, not NWA or Compass. Why is he concerned about us? Based on his posts he obviously doesn't want to work at either company.) and you don't know the what the future holds for the cost of fuel or the future of the DC9.(I have better info on the DC-9 retirements.) You here(Where, who?) what NW is CURRENTLY saying about the 9, but you have no idea what they might decide tommorrow.

You my be sick of hearing this arguement, but that doesn't mean you know the diffinative outcome.

You are both tools. Gas prices are obviously out of control recently. It does not take a genious to see that oil has tripled in five years. Has any of our wages tripled in the last five years for a comparable position?

Your post was a bit hard to follow because of the 3rd grade level grammar skills but...

Tools? He posted an inaccurate STATEMENT with no info or stake in the matter. No one knows the outcome, but some of us have better knowledge of the situation(i.e. those of us that fly the 9 at NWA).

Last edited:
Northwest management is waiting on a replacement for the DC9. It sounds like they are leaning toward the BBD-C-series, but it won't be out for years. Maybe some current DC9 guys can chime in here, but from what I've seen the -9 does routes less than 2 hours, where fuel burn doesn't make as much difference as it would on longer flights. Yes the -9 isn't fuel efficient but they have new interiors, new paint and are perfectly capable of getting the job done until a suitable replacement is found.

I'll repeat... You have an opinion (gas prices going out of control). The opinion is perhaps not one shared by others, and thus could be deemed sensationalism. Yes, oil is priced high (higher than we want it, that's for sure), but is it out-of-control?

If helping to identify differing opinions makes me a "tool", so be it. I guess someone has to be one.

What's the lease payment on a plane the size of a DC-9? Somewhere north of $100K/mo. Those DC-9's are paid for, yeah they burn more fuel but is it $100K/mo. more than a similar sized aircraft? probably not[/QUOT

Last year I was involve in aircraft acquisitions. Specifically the B737-800/700. Current lease prices from CIT/IFLC/etc. are around 420,000 - 400,000 USD/mo.

You can pay for a lot of fuel with that. Specifically with the short stage length (high frequency) of the DC9.

Just some rough math here. Suppose a DC-9 flies 8 hours a day. That's 240 hours per month. Lets say it burns 5000/lbs per hour. That equals 1.2M lbs/6.7= 179,100 Gal per month. At $3/gal that's $537,300 per month for fuel. Even if a new airplane burns half as much fuel as the DC-9 the lease payment is gonna shoot the operating cost through the roof. Of course the DC9 would have higher maintenance costs but until they get to be up near the cost of leasing a newer plane it makes sense just to keep flying the DC9

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back