• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA flow back into compass.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys are ganging up on wsurf for no reason. He has an opinion, and is entitled to have said opinion. His concerns are valid, and you don't know what the future holds for the cost of fuel or the future of the DC9. You here what NW is CURRENTLY saying about the 9, but you have no idea what they might decide tommorrow.

You my be sick of hearing this arguement, but that doesn't mean you know the diffinative outcome.

You are both tools. Gas prices are obviously out of control recently. It does not take a genious to see that oil has tripled in five years. Has any of our wages tripled in the last five years for a comparable position?

Jesus Raptor Christ....

Spelling.

Grammar.

And to think you actually edited that post! Amazing! Sadly, you actually make a valid point. However, it's almost impossible to wade past "here" (hear), "tommorrow" (tomorrow), "arguement" (argument), "diffinative" (definitive), "genious" (genius), and "Has any" (Have any) to get to said valid point. Exactly which catastrophically failed public school system are you a product of?

I dislike the spelling and grammar Nazis as much as the next guy, but I can only take so much. It's called English. Learn it.

You obviously didn't ride up front.:D The paint that isn't wore off looks like it was painted on with a rag, and the collection of miscellaneous levers, switches, and instruments looks Soviet period. On the other hand you feel like you are riding in a tank and the lack of avionics cooling fans makes for a relatively quite ride. Overall pretty cool.

Hey now. That rag-painted, Soviet blue, hot-as-balls collection of oddball switches, gauges, and lights subsidized your Brazilian wonderjet and the jobs it provided, as did the pilots who fly it day in and day out.

So... Be nice!

And, yeah, you're right. Overall, it's pretty cool. :)

Last edited:
I fly a modern aircraft so.................I have been in a WWII submarine before. Is it like that?

I fly a modern aircraft so.................I have been in a WWII submarine
before. Is it like that?

If you mean, "Does it leak?" or "Does it make funny, slightly discomforting groaning noises?", then yes.

If you mean, "Do you have to endure endless depth charging and harassment from Nazi U-Boats?", then no.

If you have to worry about making yourself a good instrument pilot at this point, we should all be worried.
When you get into an airplane with glass and an autopilot you'll understand how instrument skills can deteriorate. My 7 year old can follow a flight director.

I believe the DC 9 has a flight director. So what your point?

Going from Glass to Steam Gauges requires a different scan, but its all the same. You either got it or you don't.

I believe the DC 9 has a flight director. So what your point?

Going from Glass to Steam Gauges requires a different scan, but its all the same. You either got it or you don't.

You still don't get it. I see you came back for more abuse.

Several NWA newbies are having trouble transitioning from glass to steam gauges. No "pictures" on the MFD to follow. All you have is an HSI and RMI, period! Things such as holds and NDB approaches(yes, we do NDB approaches) have to be re-taught in the sim. Therefore....they are becoming better instrument pilots. Autopilot and FD in the 9 are primitive at best and don't "talk" to each other. Autopilot has no Alt capture, only Alt hold. You probably would have less trouble with the transition because of your Dash experience, but the 9 can be a hand full if you let it. It's old technology that demands good skills.

I don't know why you insist on commenting about the 9 when you are clueless about the subject.

Last edited:
If you have to worry about making yourself a good instrument pilot at this point, we should all be worried.

Another dumb post, I see you're still pointing that machine gun at yourself. Some guys never learn, too bad.

Trust me, instrument "skills" do deteriorate in a glass cockpit. I went from flying dual fms glass in jets for five years and just recently transitioned to a single, first generation fms setup in a turboprop (which is still more advanced than the dc-9) and it took some adjustment. Whether you notice it or not, glass does take a ton of work out of flying-but it has nothing to do with your "skills" as a pilot.

Latest resources

Back