• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA flow back into compass.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow...I used to think this guy posted some decent info...After this, I am clearly wrong....obviously not one that offers credibilty in his response....Lets hope this is a "one off" poor reply to a subject he is clearly off base with no decent intelligence on.

And you can join your girlfriend too. How you like them apples?

Heheheheheheheheh

How you like d'em apples!

"After 50-Seaters, The Next Plane Up Is 130+ Seats. Maybe. There's no question that RJ economics have been going in the wrong direction for years. The Boyd Group accurately forecast a glut of these machines well before OPEC and hedge funds started to get frisky with oil price games. But the real danger now is that most US carriers are stuck with the "100-seat capacity gap."

There's more to the article that you ignored(above is just one of many). No leases on the DC-9 even with the high fuel prices make it a viable short term stop gap in the 100-130 seat market.

You have no experience on glass, yet seem to be the expert on how to transition between steam and glass. You don't know anything about NWA or the 9, yet seem to be the expert on what we should do with our fleet. Did you read the entire article, fool! 50 seat RJ's will be parked well before the 9.

Just cause you found an article that has one line about parking the 9 your argument still is baseless. The 9 is being parked, you and I certainly have no idea about how fast(or slow). NWA has planned for it. Your original statement was about flowbacks happening by summer because the 9 is being parked. NWA is SHORT on pilots. Seems you should be more worried about Piedmonts fate.

Throw some more childish insults my way, I'm man enough to take your drivel. Just shows that you are classless.

"D'em apples" were rotten. Go out to the orchard and get some more, son.

P.S. I knew your research consists of what you learn on FI, you got that article from the majors section. You aren't smart enough to do your own research. Go watch "Good Will Hunting" again, then you can say you went to MIT, idiot.

Last edited:
Heheheheheheheheh

How you like d'em apples!

"Thursday March 13, 2008
High fuel prices may affect flights at Yeager Airport
by The Associated Press
Yeager Airport might lose some of its daily flights because of high fuel prices, but the remaining planes would probably be bigger.

According to a report issued by the Charleston airport's marketing consultant, The Boyd Group of Evergreen Colo., the nation's fleet of about 1,600 regional jets will drop by more than 50 percent in the next nine years.

Most of the 35- to 50-passenger aircraft are leased to airlines under cost-plus contracts, which are "now becoming major cash drains" because of record high operating costs, according to the report, which was forwarded to airport board members earlier this week.

With jet fuel now headed over the $3 a gallon mark, the 50 percent drop in regional jet numbers Boyd projected by 2017 "may now be conservative," according to the report.

Yeager Airport Director Rick Atkinson, who spoke with Michael Boyd, president of The Boyd Group, on Wednesday, said the consultant doesn't predict "any immediate shocks for us in our schedule in this round, but that doesn't mean there won't be if the fuel situation persists."

Atkinson said Yeager, which makes use of regional jets on many of its flights, generates enough international passengers, seen by airlines as top revenue producers, to help prevent any immediate cutbacks in flights. "It's one of the saving graces we have," he said.

But if crude oil prices remain at more than $100 a barrel for a protracted period or rise significantly, "we could be seeing a change in the equipment used here," Atkinson said.

Yeager's Philadelphia service, which had been provided on regional jets, has returned to turboprops, which have half the operating costs of regional jets, while flight times remain about the same on shorter routes, Atkinson said.

More flights could switch to turboprops if the fuel trend remains a fact of life, he said.

Regional jet manufacturers are also beginning to build fuel-efficient 80- to 120-passenger aircraft, which could eventually replace some of the flights now served by smaller regional jets.

"When Pittsburgh used to be a hub airport, we had three DC-9 flights a day going there," Atkinson said. "Later, we had five or six regional jet flights going to Pittsburgh. If fuel prices stay high, we could see our five or six daily flights to Charlotte reduced to maybe three flights - but using bigger aircraft. We might lose some frequency, but we could actually gain a few seats. It's just more cost-effective to run a larger plane."

High fuel prices killed plans to launch nonstop service to Las Vegas earlier this year, Atkinson said. But new Southern Skyways service starting in May to Orlando, Fla., using a 140-seat Boeing 737, should provide the efficiency needed to make the seasonal service viable, he said."

Uh oh, WSurf, Piedmont's better be careful. Based on your theory, they may have to furlough by summer. If you're senior enough you'll be ok in the Dash, turboprops are good. Just goes to show you, do enough research and you can find someone to support any "theory". NOBODY knows until it happens, you idiot!

Last edited:
I have a dog in this fight. I am going to class at Compass next week. bad time to get back into the industry. As for the DC-9's going away who knows but it is a lot cheaper to park a paid-for aircraft than to park an aircraft you are making payments on. Right now the name of the game is not to keeping the most efficient aircraft flying but to reduce capacity to the point that the demand is high enough to raise fares. If Northwest has enough demand they will keep the -9's flying if they don't they will be parked very quickly. United Airlines has already said that they have a 100 planes paid for that they can park if fuel goes over $100/bbl.
The regional feed will also be cut. First, by schedule reductions, then by number of aircraft contracted. Most airlines can cancel a regional's contract without cause if they give 6 months notice. Sooner with cause. I was bumped out of the DoJet by Delta this way.

I have no idea how what amount of aircraft would have to be cut to cause NWA furloughs and flow backs. NWA could just stop hiring and let attrition tke care of the rest rather than pay for a system realignment bump and flush. I am very concerned about flowbacks. For the short term however, the system realignments caused by furloughs would take longer than the need for pilots at Compass to staff the 2 A/C that are arriving per month. Of course they could stop taking A/C.

If anyone knows the ratio of NWA mainline A/C to 76 seat A/C that are allowed. could they post it?

MJ42;1540439 Yeager's Philadelphia service said:
Uh oh, WSurf, Piedmont's better be careful. Based on your theory, they may have to furlough by summer. If you're senior enough you'll be ok in the Dash, turboprops are good. Just goes to show you, do enough research and you can find someone to support any "theory". NOBODY knows until it happens, you idiot![/COLOR]

Yep, there you go! Piedmont's gonna start parking Turbo Props. Heheheheheh

I have a dog in this fight. I am going to class at Compass next week. bad time to get back into the industry. As for the DC-9's going away who knows but it is a lot cheaper to park a paid-for aircraft than to park an aircraft you are making payments on. Right now the name of the game is not to keeping the most efficient aircraft flying but to reduce capacity to the point that the demand is high enough to raise fares. If Northwest has enough demand they will keep the -9's flying if they don't they will be parked very quickly. United Airlines has already said that they have a 100 planes paid for that they can park if fuel goes over $100/bbl.
The regional feed will also be cut. First, by schedule reductions, then by number of aircraft contracted. Most airlines can cancel a regional's contract without cause if they give 6 months notice. Sooner with cause. I was bumped out of the DoJet by Delta this way.

I have no idea how what amount of aircraft would have to be cut to cause NWA furloughs and flow backs. NWA could just stop hiring and let attrition tke care of the rest rather than pay for a system realignment bump and flush. I am very concerned about flowbacks. For the short term however, the system realignments caused by furloughs would take longer than the need for pilots at Compass to staff the 2 A/C that are arriving per month. Of course they could stop taking A/C.

If anyone knows the ratio of NWA mainline A/C to 76 seat A/C that are allowed. could they post it?

First off, good luck with Compass. I think you should be ok. But as I said many times on this thread, no one knows for sure. I've been furloughed after 9/11 so I understand your concern.

Don't know the ratio of mainline to 76 seat aircraft, I'll see what I can dig up. I can tell you Compass pilots have the support of mainline pilot, we want the flow up to work. Hopefully it will.

More info for ya WSurf:

http://www.nwa.com/corpinfo/aircares/EarthCares.pdf

It actually busts ( a little) on the 9. Just proves my point that NWA is planning for the "phasing out".

Last edited:
Yep, there you go! Piedmont's gonna start parking Turbo Props. Heheheheheh

I said you'd be safe cause you're in a turboprop, jerk. But..."It's just more cost-effective to run a larger plane."

You're also tied to a company that has MAJOR pilot issues. Using your theory, you should be worried.

Last edited:
You mean theres a major that doesn't have major pilot issues????????? heheheh

Everyone has their problems, but I assure you the venom between the East and West at Airways is a Major problem.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back