• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA-Delta Merger = Very few job cuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's what will really happen with a NWA and DAL merger. NWA has already begun to trim its DC-9 fleet. If a merger is announced, the remaining 100 gas guzzling DC-9s will be phased out. Compass, Pinnicle, Mesaba, and Comair flying will replace the DC-9 flying. Memphis and Cincinnati hubs will close. All new hires at NWA will be furloughed or offered flying jobs at Compass with flowthrough. Grim, but that's what mergers are all about. Trim out the fat and gain synergies from the two companies.

Who cares if they guzzle gas? They are paid for. They might cost a lot in gas, but the accountants are not writing 100K+ checks to a leasing company every month. They have 100 seats and are paid for. I'd keep them around for a while.

jke406/Tanker Clown....

You must have a ball logging in and out of flightinfo so you can debate yourself. It's most amusing to the rest of us.

I bet his shrink must have a ball with him when he comes in for an appointment. With the multiple personality disorder he suffers from, he can probably carry on an entire conversation with himself and never miss a beat.
This prick is truly pathetic!

I'm speechless. I'm glad the toughest period for me and my family is a chance to take a shot at me. How do you sleep at night?

Yet you seem to be ok with throwing other peoples worst times in their face. Those "pay cuts" and BKs were contributing factors to pilots committing suicide, and you see fit to take shots. You are the lowest form of scum bag on the planet, and a two faced one at that.

Yet you seem to be ok with throwing other peoples worst times in their face. Those "pay cuts" and BKs were contributing factors to pilots committing suicide, and you see fit to take shots. You are the lowest form of scum bag on the planet, and a two faced one at that.

Hey, I didn't ask for cancer...but I got it. You guys voted in your spineless union. You guys took your cuts without much of a fight. Now you aren't even doing anything about your measly 1.5% raise. You guys enabled this.

Hey, I didn't ask for cancer...but I got it. You guys voted in your spineless union. You guys took your cuts without much of a fight. Now you aren't even doing anything about your measly 1.5% raise. You guys enabled this.

I'll take spineless over inhumane any day. Most people learn from their cancer experience. I guess you can't fix stupid. Enjoy your petty taunts about our pay cuts which have led to my highest paying two years ever. We will enjoy knowing that all you have are taunts and flying circles for hours on end. No skill, luck, nor humility. Bad combo. Tsk, tsk, tsk. Small little man. I'm out.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?p=1513507#post1513507

I think you need a little review in what happened and how the pay cuts at Delta occurred. Delta management used a BK judge with a Guillotine hanging over the pilots heads to force the issue. The pilots were close to striking a strike that was being called a "murder suicide" by most, including analysts outside the company. Even now after the fact a look at the cash in the bank at the time showed the company was about two weeks away from chapter seven liquidation. There was very little leverage to do anything at the time....ever try to negotiate with a gun to your head? Ultimately the stategy taken was "live and fight another day". Now that some profits are trickling back in and some leverage is coming back and Delta managment no longer has the advantage of a BK judge it is generally agreed the momentum needs to shift and the bar pushed back up.

Delta warns of possible pilots strike

Beleaguered carrier says move would be 'murder-suicide'

ATLANTA - Delta Air Lines Inc. said Monday that if its pilots strike should their contract be rejected in bankruptcy court, it would be “murder-suicide” and in effect put the nation’s third-largest carrier out of business.
The comments by the Atlanta-based airline came two days before a U.S. Bankruptcy Court judge in New York will hold a hearing to discuss Delta’s request to reject its pilots’ collective bargaining agreement.
Delta said in the filing that if its motion is granted, it will impose $325 million in concessions it is seeking from its pilots.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement The Air Line Pilots Association, which represents Delta’s 6,000 pilots, has raised the prospect of a strike if the contract is rejected by the court, and it has scheduled a rally for Tuesday to defend the contract.

But in its filing Monday, Delta said a strike would be disastrous and, it maintains, illegal.
“ALPA devotes substantial space in its objection to the balance of the equities, using as its centerpiece a ’murder-suicide’ threat,” the airline wrote. “Deny the motion to reject, the court is told, or the association will call a post-rejection strike that will kill the company and eliminate every pilot job — indeed every Delta job.”

Delta argued in the filing that the Railway Labor Act prevents the pilots from striking.

“Even if the threat were realistic — even if Delta’s pilots seriously intended to put the company into liquidation rather than agree to needed concessions — the threat would be a hollow one,” the airline wrote.

A union spokesman did not immediately return a call Monday seeking comment.
Even though it believes it’s on solid legal ground, Delta said it can’t predict whether it will be able to prevent or stop a strike if its pilots choose to walk off the job if their contract is thrown out in bankruptcy court.

Delta said in its quarterly report to the Securities and Exchange Commission earlier Monday that it believes a strike by its pilots would be illegal, but at the same time it warned that it doesn’t know if it would be able to get a court order to stop it.

“In addition, if we or our affiliates are unable to reach agreement with any of our unionized work groups on future negotiations regarding terms of their collective bargaining agreements, or if additional segments of our work force become unionized, we may be subject to work interruptions or stoppages,” Delta said.
Delta said it needs the $325 million in concessions it is seeking from its pilots as part of its recovery. The pilots have offered $90.7 million in average annual concessions over four years.

Delta said in Monday’s bankruptcy court filing that it offered the union on Friday to reduce the pay reduction portion of its concessions proposal from 19.5 percent to 19 percent, but with other changes that would actually increase the value of the concessions to $326.2 million.

The cuts would be on top of $1 billion in annual concessions the pilots agreed to in a five-year deal reached in 2004. That deal included a 32.5 percent pay cut.

In Monday’s SEC filing, Delta also said it can’t predict whether its defined benefit pension plan will continue when it emerges from Chapter 11. Delta pilots have tried without success to get the company to continue making certain contributions to the pension plan during the bankruptcy case.

Delta estimates that its funding requirements under its defined benefit pension plan are roughly $3.4 billion between 2006-2008. The cash-strapped airline said it may be required to fully fund required contributions at the time it exits bankruptcy if it decides to keep the plan going.

Delta, which filed for Chapter 11 on Sept. 14, has recorded losses of more than $11 billion since January 2001 and over that period has announced that it would cut up to 33,000 jobs. Its loss in the third quarter, reported Thursday, was $1.13 billion.

Here's what will really happen with a NWA and DAL merger. NWA has already begun to trim its DC-9 fleet. If a merger is announced, the remaining 100 gas guzzling DC-9s will be phased out. Compass, Pinnicle, Mesaba, and Comair flying will replace the DC-9 flying. Memphis and Cincinnati hubs will close. All new hires at NWA will be furloughed or offered flying jobs at Compass with flowthrough. Grim, but that's what mergers are all about. Trim out the fat and gain synergies from the two companies.

Sounds like business 101 to me, companies do not merge to make themselves bigger, they merge to cut cost and produce profits. No profit, no company.
When ever you see a company that has a priority of being bigger without an accompanying increase in profits that company is looking for a fire sale. As someone with a business degree I would wait till it goes out of business and pick the carcass clean.

Maybe you would like to post your W2 from the govt TankerClown. Then you can explain how much better off you are then Delta or NWA guys.

Maybe you would like to post your W2 from the govt TankerClown. Then you can explain how much better off you are then Delta or NWA guys.

I might do that. Only problem in this type of d!ck measuring contest is that my housing allowance ($2300 a month) isn't taxable...and I flew into combat areas enough this year to have 6 months tax free. Therefore, the W-2 is misleading. Trust me, I make a good amount more than any Delta FO. Feel free to look up the actual amounts online. It's public info.

So, if I get hired by NWA, they merge with Delta, then that would mean the General would be calling me sir and throwing the gear? Wow, Where do I sign up?? (Tongue in Cheek)

Latest resources

Back