• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA-Delta Merger = Very few job cuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's what will really happen with a NWA and DAL merger. NWA has already begun to trim its DC-9 fleet. If a merger is announced, the remaining 100 gas guzzling DC-9s will be phased out. Compass, Pinnicle, Mesaba, and Comair flying will replace the DC-9 flying. Memphis and Cincinnati hubs will close. All new hires at NWA will be furloughed or offered flying jobs at Compass with flowthrough. Grim, but that's what mergers are all about. Trim out the fat and gain synergies from the two companies.

Well, Richard Anderson made a deal with Ohio Senators and Congressmen NOT to close CVG, so that part is wrong in your guess. Will those regionals replace the DC9-40s and -50s, who carry a lot more than 76 passengers? I think again you are wrong. The synergies you are talking about will mostly come from ground jobs (do you need two ticket counters at each airport jointly served?), management jobs (two CFOs?), and back office jobs like accounting. In the old days you could give up a hub city and nobody would replace your service---not anymore. LCCs are waiting to expand, and we just can't afford to give them some free terminals. As far as giving gates and slots to LCCs at slot controlled airports (DCA, LGA)--the current flights hardly overlap at all, with most of NWA's flights at those airports going only to their own hubs, and not ours at Delta. Their local congressmen will make sure we still serve the same routes from those most important business centers to our hubs.

Did the USAir/AWA merger involve a lot of new furloughs?

Bye Bye--General Lee

So, if I get hired by NWA, they merge with Delta, then that would mean the General would be calling me sir and throwing the gear? Wow, Where do I sign up?? (Tongue in Cheek)

Very unlikely. Very. And, you will be Day VFR only on your legs with me, with a 5 knot xwind limit. (tongue and cheek...?)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Probably not if he is a retired mil Delta FO with any seniority at all with Delta.

Trust me, that "clown" is not even a pilot, but some pencil pushing desk jockey!
Do yourself a favor and put him on your ignore list. Problem is whenever someone quotes him it usually shows up.

Probably not if he is a retired mil Delta FO with any seniority at all with Delta.

That's probably true.

I was just saying that a 17 year O-5, on the bonus, with maxed out flight pay, BAH in an high area with dependants, + BAS = more than any Delta FO. I also hardly pay any taxes due to a good portion not being taxable, and hitting combat zones, i.e. the income for that whole month isn't taxable (even if I only spend 1 second there...or fly over the zone).

I'm looking to go to the airlines after the mil, so I'm not really bragging...it's really kinda sad. I'm hoping it goes up so I can get a high paying job after I retire from the AF to supplement my pension.

Sorry

Trust me, that "clown" is not even a pilot, but some pencil pushing desk jockey!
Do yourself a favor and put him on your ignore list. Problem is whenever someone quotes him it usually shows up.
Yeah, I know. I'm sorry. I feel your pain. That's how I feel about our poser seal Dave on the mil threads. I haven't put "clown" on ignore yet due to the "car crash" effect he provides. I just have to look. Purely for entertainment purposes. Kind of morbid I guess. In the future I'll try to refrain from quoting him when I can. Cheers...ExAF

Latest resources

Back