NWA/DAL JPWA highlights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Super92:

I think you are getting the same equity. The percentage is different because NWA shareholders are getting 1.25 shares of DAL stock. Does that make sense?

Just repeating what I read elsewhere, that the equity was the same, but the percentage different because of the premium being paid NWA shareholders.

Letter 19 is a moot point now. I'm talking benefits from the pre-merger baseline and the perception here. Greed or not we'll all be better off in the long run if the deal is perceived to bring equal benefits to both sides.

If you get what you want (higher equity stake, cash payout, etc...), then the NWA guys will no longer perceive it to be a fair deal. Either way, some small group of pilots is going to feel that they didn't get a completely "fair" deal. From an outsider's perspective, this deal seems incredibly fair to both sides, and an amazing step in the right direction, especially after we've seen what a group of bozos like the Easties have done under similar circumstances.

I think these guys have found a way around that with the talks of bonus or payout checks. Still keeps things equal doesn't it? Pay rates stay the same and both side are happy. I'm not saying I agree with it, but don't say it's impossible to make these guys happy. I certainly wouldn't shy away from a check.

Maybe we could get management to buy each real Delta pilot a Harley (no helmet). Maybe this would work! It's funny how some feel us NWA guys slid in the back door and shouldn't be treated equally. Someday, I hope to be as good as them.

Never Ever Real Delta

Schwanker

If NWA pilots were to get triple the pay, 8% equity, fences, and DOH, would they STILL be unpleasant to be around?

Will they still sit in the penalty box with both engines and APU running so they can professionally vent their frustrations?

PCL128:

I agree also that this is a very fair deal. It is also a real windfall for the NWA pilots. Both can be true.

Doing the JPWA first was a good strategy. But I think it would be easier to sell it to the membership if they had worked for scope, commuter and displacement provisions that provided a hedge against the fear of an uncertain SLI outcome.

Last edited:
Maybe we could get management to buy each real Delta pilot a Harley (no helmet). Maybe this would work! It's funny how some feel us NWA guys slid in the back door and shouldn't be treated equally. Someday, I hope to be as good as them.

Never Ever Real Delta

Schwanker

Wow...aren't you going to be fun to fly with.

Nobody has said they are flat out against NWA guys being treated equally. I think the arguement here is about reaping the same amount of gains that some feel NWA pilots will see in this new contract.

I find it funny that some NWA pilots seem against this idea..how does it effect them? They get extra dough in payrates and workrules and DAL pilots get a check. What's the problem? How does this not treat NWA pilots equally?

For the record I don't think it would ever work and am content working under the same contract (that none of us have even seen yet) as our NWA bothers...no extra dough needed. I'm more concerned about the SLI and how possible furloughs down the road would be handled.

Last edited:
There will be at least a 12 month unofficial fence put up because of the time needed to get everything on one certificate so you DAL shouldn't be worried about what will happen next year IMHO and for that matter i dont think there is anything to be worried about anyway.

Last edited:
So what does this all mean for Compass. Since layoffs at the majors are inevitable, what does it mean for the Compass flowback?

As of right now not every major is laying off. As far as NWA laying people off, I don't think that is the case yet, but they will determine if some do go Compass soon. When the operating certificates are merged into one, I would think they would go back to mainline, probably on a new DL jet.

Bye Bye--General Lee

VOR,

You really don't get how this works. If we vote it down then it doesn't go into effect for either side. The status quo remains and LOA 19 goes into effect for the Delta side at DCC. Hence joint pilot working agreement. If either side votes it down then it's up to the negotiators to go back to the tables.

Voice of Reason, or VOR, is completely miserable flying at Flight Options. Kinda sad actually.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Wow...aren't you going to be fun to fly with.

Nobody has said they are flat out against NWA guys being treated equally. I think the arguement here is about reaping the same amount of gains that some feel NWA pilots will see in this new contract.

I find it funny that some NWA pilots seem against this idea..how does it effect them? They get extra dough in payrates and workrules and DAL pilots get a check. What's the problem? How does this not treat NWA pilots equally?

For the record I don't think it would ever work and am content working under the same contract (that none of us have even seen yet) as our NWA bothers...no extra dough needed. I'm more concerned about the SLI and how possible furloughs down the road would be handled.

- Payrates definately a plus
- Workrules improve in many areas (setback in some) ie.. jumpseat, 75 hour res guar, sick leave, retirement co-pays, time & 1/2 for time over 80, higher monthly guarantees (debatable), separate bid cat for block/reserve come to mind. A reserve 744FO will make the same under with NWA payrates at 75 hrs he will at 70 hrs with new rates.
- SLI needs to be fair

My point is some DAL guys believe they are entitled to more than NWA guys because after all, they're real DAL guys. This sentiment is BS, but I guess I'll have to live with it.

Some good news:
NWA/NWALPA just put out a flying bulletin. There will be no furloughs due to the fall draw down. The few out of category displacements will have the option to not be displaced in the fall. The revised fleet plan for Dec 31, 2008 still includes 61 DC-9s. The previous press announcements were accurate as we'll lose 10 757s, 4 A320s, and bring the -9 fleet to 61. I'm sure we'll continue to hear from DAL guys how the -9s will be parked immediately. All evidence says otherwise.

Schwanker

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back