NWA/DAL JPWA highlights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, what's cooking over there is even wilder than I thought:
Punitive LTD/DR Seniority Accrual Policy.
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Seeks to increase the number of years that a pilot can return with seniority from medical retirement from the current contract parameter of 7 years....[/FONT][/FONT]​

Early Retirement with Permanent Part-Time Flying. [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The MEC’s unanimous action assigned the proposal to the Negotiating Committee,R&I Committee, and Merger Committee .... [/FONT][/FONT]​
This isn't part of the recent LOA, but it is interesting.

Last edited:
I guess we, DAL pilots, should get a pension but not you guys, so we are brought up to your level....

Yeah wait, no that does not make any sense, you are right, you guys deserve a 10% raise and keep your pension, as you should, and DAL deserves a 5% raise and no pension.. I just hope they put at least a 5 year fence around your 744 and DC9s, not wait that would not be fair either, the DC9 fence, off course....

The fact of the matter is NWA is getting the lion share of this contract and it should not be that way. I just hope the SLI goes as favorable to us as this contract is going towards you all.

I don't think there should be different pay scales, rather a larger chunk of equity (one time payment) to the DL side to make both sides feel like they got a windfall, rather than one side. Right now it appears the NWA guys got a large pay raise, some equity, and a frozen pension for the senior. That is where it should be different, a little larger equity piece for the DL guys....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Actually, what's cooking over there is even wilder than I thought:
This isn't part of the recent LOA, but it is interesting.

First: If this retirement and part-time flying proposal is the same as the one I am thinking about, it was introduced some time ago. Probably 2-3 months ago (if not more, I think it was tabled for a time), and has nothing to do with the other furlough-mitigation proposals just published. If I am not mistaken, the proposal was introduced by a line pilot, not the union. Every single person I have talked/flown with says it is a bad idea. As a matter of fact, a union rep I spoke with said it would "die in committee and never pass." IMHO, it is nothing more than a "land grab" by certain pilots who want to have their cake (retirement) and eat it too (part-time flying). By the way....retirement and part time flying.....Which pilot group was it that did the very same thing some years ago? Hello, pot? This is the kettle.

Second:
You seem to have a conspiracy theory going with this notion of "stacking." You do realize, don't you, that one of the 4 proposals in this furlough-mitigation is an early retirement program (Perp). As in trying to get pilots to LEAVE. As in gone, off of the seniority list, buh-bye. As dtw320 mentioned, another of the proposals is taking 2 week leaves. You're right, a 2 week leave is obviously a c-o-n-spiracy. Hey, I think Fed-ex has it in their contract that with pilots on furlough, monthly max's are reduced. They must be in on it too.

Third:
On a more personnal note: Are you actually trying to say that if Delta was faced with potential furloughs, they wouldn't try some of these or other efforts to offset those furloughs? As someone who was furloughed for almost 5-and-a-half years after 9-11 and facing the possibility of yet another one , I am very glad to see these proposals. If you have a problem with our union (and, possibly even management?!?) taking these steps to prevent furloughs, well, to put it bluntly, stick it where the sun don't shine.

Finally, I have read some Delta guys say if anything, NW would benefit from Delta's staffing formula's and would actually need more pilots. Now that steps are being taken to mitigate furloughs and keep people around, it is some kind of conspiracy??? Which is it?

Rant over.....

Good question...I think it means Mesaba will merge with Comair and thus the flowthrough would be transferred to a different company. (probably not, but I like to stir the pot)

....interesting idea....Since CMR didn't sign on to the flowthrough, I don't think you could transfer it to them without their concent.....The plot thickens...

We will get a 5% raise thanks to LOA19, which in this environment isn't that bad. Also, if the DC9s disappear overnight, the NWA guys would go away with it, primarily because our certificates would not be merged into one for up to a year past the actual merger date. There will be no swapping of planes until that happens, as it takes the FAA a while to do things. Also, there will likely be fences, and hopefully one around the DC9, since the NWA guys most likely want one around the 744 also.

Bye Bye--General Lee
I don't know why you are so happy a swa 737 Capt. still makes more then a 747 or 777 capt.

I don't know why you are so happy a swa 737 Capt. still makes more then a 747 or 777 capt.

Hey, when they are profitable, they should be the highest paid 737 pilots in the world. Good for them. If they can keep those wages where they are at, maybe we can use them as proof eventually, when we are more profitable. We are still recovering from our collective BKs, so it will take awhile to get back to where we were. I'd say it is good for them to be higher at this point.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Something BOTH sides need to see and pay attention to.

This is from the NWA updates and i though all should see it especially the few DAL guys that think you can do better on your own. FWIW

During this MEC Meeting the MEC received extensive economic and financial analysis briefings by several independent sources. Our MEC Officers worked very hard to ensure our decisions were based on complete and unbiased data. Presentations were made by both the NWA and DAL ALPA E & FA, Blue Wolf Capital Management, and Capt. Steve Zoller (NWA BOD). Although the briefings were confidential, our conclusions are not. A merged NWA/DELTA with immediate synergies is a stronger more competitive (survivable) company than a stand-alone NWA or stand-alone DELTA. A merged NWA/DELTA without immediate synergies is a weaker, less survivable company than a stand-alone NWA or DELTA. This JCBA provides a defined and rapid process for a merger with synergies available from day one. We will avoid the US AIR/American West debacle.

The funniest thing about this thread is that the Delta guys actually think NWA mgmt gives a rat's a$$ about how we (NWA) fare on the SLI.

The reason they don't want to furlough is because it will cost them 40 grand for each pilot who flows back to Compass. Then as soon as DCC they will need more pilots and they will have to recall them all because of the different contract.

I'm glad you all think that the NWA MEC is so powerful, but it's pretty tough to get NWA mgmt to do anything they don't want to do anyway. There's no way the recent LOA would've passed if it didn't save NWA a boatload of cash. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, because that will soon be Delta cash once we're all one big happy family.

See, no SLI conspiracy (especially with the PERPs), just business as usually at NWA. Now explain how these Greenslips work again. I might need it to pay for the higher medical insurance premiums.:cool:

The funniest thing about this thread is that the Delta guys actually think NWA mgmt gives a rat's a$$ about how we (NWA) fare on the SLI.

The reason they don't want to furlough is because it will cost them 40 grand for each pilot who flows back to Compass. Then as soon as DCC they will need more pilots and they will have to recall them all because of the different contract.

I'm glad you all think that the NWA MEC is so powerful, but it's pretty tough to get NWA mgmt to do anything they don't want to do anyway. There's no way the recent LOA would've passed if it didn't save NWA a boatload of cash. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, because that will soon be Delta cash once we're all one big happy family.

See, no SLI conspiracy (especially with the PERPs), just business as usually at NWA. Now explain how these Greenslips work again. I might need it to pay for the higher medical insurance premiums.:cool:

It could take a year after the DCC before the FAA signs off on a combined certificate, so any NWA guy furloughed would go to Compass for a year, and we may have to hire at DL for new airplanes in the meantime. (how would that work with the SLI??)

Greenslips will pay double pay, and you can put your name in the hat for any particular trip, or an open greenslip (with set perameters you put in there) for any open trip that pops up that scheduling cannot cover with reserves. The more senior you are, the more likely you will get the greenslip. If nobody throws in a greenslip, then they have to inverse assign, which also pays double. But, I believe we now have a phone deal that automatically calls people (starting at the bottom moving up) and offers them the trip, and you do NOT have to take it if you don't want to. And, your 15% raise should pay for your medical premiums.....(you might have to dip into your equity also)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back