• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA?DAL deal rumored within 2 weeks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Like I have said before, it seems that there has been something going on at the MEC level for the last few months. I could be wrong, but it appears that way.
I think that they would like to have this as prepackaged as possible. It needs to be done before Bush leaves office.
Most of the people over at the Kremlin seem to think that this is a done deal. It is just the details that they are not sure about.

What happens to the Mesaba and Compass NWA flow thru if DAL buys NWA? Would DAL honor that previous agreement and have a flow thru to DAL from Mesaba and Compass?

Just guessing, but I would imagine they would remain in force as long as NWA is hiring as NWA. I also would expect all mainline/feed air service agreement contracts to be revisited in a merger.

Did NetJets ever get the basing situation resolved?

Same argument could be made for the 80s. The DC-9s are paid for and generate revenue. There are zero plans to retire them as they are part of the NWA fleet plan for the next 5-10 years.

What about MEH? It's very likely they'd be folded into this mix as well although it may be a can that's kicked down the road.
As far as Midwest, this could possible happen around the same time the DOJ is to rule on the TPG acquiring Midwest. I imagine Northwest would probable walk away from the Midwest deal and focus totally on a merger with Delta. Leaving the door open for AirTran to come in and acquire Midwest if they were still interested.

If it did happen, I would think it will take at least 6 months to get approved and another 2 plus years to get the two companies together if not more. So for the next 2.5 years after it would happpen, the two airlines would most likely operate as seperate airlines like the AWA/Usair situation. I dont think there would be any furloughs since it would take awhile to get the list and company merged into one. Would DELTA keep the name or would it be NORTHWEST?

I think your right except if this deal does get announced they will attempt to integrate the operations a little quicker because of the cost pressures they are now facing. Running two seperate operations is expensive and they will attempt a fast integration. I still think a fast integration will take at least a year. In the mean time NWA and DAL both have to staff for international growth and NWA has to cover the retirements they will have. I'm hoping that the worst case scenario is a hiring freeze, but even that may not happen if both airlines want to cover the growth. DAL is getting a few 777's, 737's, and 757's so they will need to hire to staff those over the next year. My biggest worry is base closures. DTW, MEM, CVG, and SLC. Which of those will go is what I would like to know. I also would bet that the DC-9's will go even if they are paid off. DCI and the NWA connection carriers have a good number of CR9's that could cover alot of that flying much cheaper than keeping the 9's.

If it does happen... got to wonder what is going to happen to the remaining legacy airlines.

AA
CAL
UA

and then you have the wildcards out there..

JB
SWA
AT
MW
FR
AL

Gonna be an interesting year!

Latest resources

Back