NWA and DAL MECs dropped...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

I've read how some guys say it's screwed up and sucks now at DAL, but I think it's probably better than USA Jet.

cliff
YIP

PS-I know 3 guys that fly for NWA, and live in DTW. They will fly ANYTHING to stay in DTW and not commmute.

PPS-Was DAL or NWA "better" before the merger? It depends. I thought NWA was better, because of where I live relative to the NWA basing.

Hey, we are on the same side now, and I look forward to working with you guys too. Do you live in North ATL?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Agree with the General 100%. It is what it is. We should fight for hazard pay in Africa after the India attack. As we expand there and all those rat holes around the world we may face more attacks. It may not be a bad time to go domestic. God has a way of taking care of his own.;) I am sure my Northwest brothers will be happy to take a bullet for the new Delta. Welcome to our world brothers and I am sure you have the courage.:laugh:

Last edited:
It's good to read the positive comments from pilots on both sides.

The silver lining that ACL pointed out, is that displacements will be pay protected.

Not Really

Specifically, your furloughed pilots who got their longevity back (which I think they deserved) and now will be able to bid into widebody international flying.

Again, I don't begrudge them anything - good for them.
I'm one and not so. Won't be able to bid WB. Still too junior with DAL guys hired years after me being senior to me. However, I still think after reading the merger opinion, this is about as fair as it could be. Not saying I like it by a long shot, just that it is pretty fair overall. I refuse to let it eat at me. It's over, it's a done deal, time to move on and conquer the world. If anyone out there is senior to me...feel free to stay angry and let it eat at you.:D I'll be standing by to move up 1 after you stroke out or have that anxiety heart attack.:eek:

ExAF and others,

Your wide body options have grown. As you look at this, you should be able to hold anything if you are willing to commute. Also, a 757 is a WB at Delta. One leg on a 767, the next two on 757 equipment and a 767 leg home.

The list came in while I was traveling - first blush was that it destroyed status quo for the Delta hires. Over the long term things look better as a result of attrition and fleet growth. Of course in this business I'd rather have my cake now and many NWA pilots see it the same way. They plan on using the credit they got for attrition in pull out plug in immediately to bid the largest aircraft they can hold.

Personally, I just want to hold a home base.

ExAF and others,

Your wide body options have grown. As you look at this, you should be able to hold anything if you are willing to commute. Also, a 757 is a WB at Delta. One leg on a 767, the next two on 757 equipment and a 767 leg home.

The list came in while I was traveling - first blush was that it destroyed status quo for the Delta hires. Over the long term things look better as a result of attrition and fleet growth. Of course in this business I'd rather have my cake now and many NWA pilots see it the same way. They plan on using the credit they got for attrition in pull out plug in immediately to bid the largest aircraft they can hold.

Personally, I just want to hold a home base.

At NWA there was only about 170 numbers seperating the most junior person in the company (747 SO) with 320 FO, DC-9 FO and 757 FO. In other words I don't think you'll see a large move by NWA guys to bid 75/76 because they all (short of the last 170) could have held it before. The pay difference percentage wise between all those positions are about the same as they were despite the fact the 76 is now included in the category.

Just like you said at the end there, more than anything we'll see people realigning to be closer to a base of their choice. I bet NYC remains the junior base. It will be the east coast commuter haven, and the place to go to bid into higher paying positions earlier than you could anywhere else (if that's your thing).

Longevity and equipment bump, or just ask your FO, they should be able to explain it once you unscrew them from the ceiling.

NWA FO here...

What ceiling do you think I need to be unscrewed from?

Everytime I look at this seniority list, I can't help but think of they guy you hired last year who is senior to me now. Just what makes you think a guy hired last year should be senior to me. (7 years difference, but the same relative seniority which is what this was based upon so I understand it from that angle)

I have been furloughed over 5 years. Heck, when I was on furlough, like most of your pilots, they were living the high life as a captain at the regionals.

We are all in this together. You didn't give the NWA FO's anything. I am not excited at all for the outcome of this arbitration except for one thing.... IT IS OVER and I am looking forward to working with Delta pilots.

I think you are in the minority when you say that the NWA FOs feel like they got a windfall on this SLI.

As an admitted outsider, I think the list is about as fair as you could possibly get considering the differences in the number of pilots, equipment, dates of hire, etc. I thought both MEC's worked very hard to protect their pilots. You never can tell what an arbitrator is going to do and that is a risk when you go to them. Nobody got totally screwed, and nobody really got a tremendous windfall. How is this not adhering to the ALPA merger policy?

Some NWA guys did a little bit better, some Delta guys did a little bit better. Some won, some lost. It is what it is. In a merger of this size it is not possible to satisfy everyone.

It is my opinion that the "New Delta" is in a position to really grow and profit as a much stronger combined airline which is better for both groups. So you lost .2% on the list or you gave up a little money for the other guys to have a good contract too. You all are going to make out in the long run by being employed at this company.

PDudes humble opinion. Aren't you glad you are not at UAL or LCC.

Moving On

Another NWA FO here with a take on things. I was a Spring 2000 hire, furloughed 4.5 years and am on mil lv at the present. I feel that things for me could have been alot worse. I fell under DAL guys hired 15 mo after me. Silver lining is the credit we received for being on the street. So the consolation is getting paid more than a guy senior to me. For a guy like me and many others in their mid 40's now and down near the bottom, it may take me another 12 years to upgrade and no chance ever of wide body capt. Glad it's over and hope their isn't another wave of layoffs. Living in a van down by the river isn't that great.

Like I said. Yep we Junior DAL guys are going to go through another training cycle. Guess what it is done with deal with it and move on.
I am. MSP here I come!

Latest resources

Back