NTSB info on SWA at LGA crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, from what I have gleaned here...

1) The Captain really knew how to bid. I've been told many times on this forum you make staggering sums over there, yet only had to fly 2600 hrs in six years to do it. Pretty awesome
2) The Captain was a she, or possible a he-she, but not a he
3) He/she was high avoidance, 2nd highest in the base? wow He/she must have been really fugly, or smelly, or not a good pilot/overbearing/disliked unicorns
4) The approach was stable, on speed/profile till 400 ft when he/she took over, and things went to hell.

As far as LGA approaches go, it does not get any easier than a straight-in to RNWY 4. I imagine he/she's gonna have some splainin to do.

Maybe she actually likes kittens, therefor not a perfect fit at SWA.....

Rumor is that the FO wanted to go around and the Captain did not. Last time I checked your supposed to be stabilized by 1000'agl not 400'. Also heard the final flap setting was 58 seconds prior to impact. If true, that alone would would fit the definition of unstabilized.

Take caution with rumors you spread. If true, it would be considered Gross Negligence on both pilots. Considering if there was a loss of life, it would be considered Criminal Negligence.

Take caution with rumors you spread. If true, it would be considered Gross Negligence on both pilots. Considering if there was a loss of life, it would be considered Criminal Negligence.

Oh boy . . . Gotta love the Crew Room Lawyers. :rolleyes:

I don't know about SWA's requirements, but at AAI, up until a few years ago, we were only required to be stabilized by 500' AGL.

58 seconds, at a ref of 130KIAS and a 10 knot headwind would be around 600' ft AGL. Hardly gross negligence or a mandatory go-around.

Criminal Negligence? Get over yourself. :laugh:

Oh boy . . . Gotta love the Crew Room Lawyers. :rolleyes:

I don't know about SWA's requirements, but at AAI, up until a few years ago, we were only required to be stabilized by 500' AGL.

58 seconds, at a ref of 130KIAS and a 10 knot headwind would be around 600' ft AGL. Hardly gross negligence or a mandatory go-around.

Criminal Negligence? Get over yourself. :laugh:

Well...this accident was not a AAI flight, but in fact a SWA flight! That being said, I only suggested that one should not spread rumors until its proven to be factual.

As for Criminal Negligence...Many countries have brought criminal charges against pilots for negligent conduct. Although rare in the US, don't pretend that it can't or won't happen...

A perfect example...

http://www.northwesternda.org/news/...hter-charge-new-year’s-day-plane-crash-orange

Last edited:
My guess is when the final report comes out, there might be at least some mention of he/she's personnel record. Can't wait to read this one: i.e., long list of FOs who refused to fly with he/she.

My guess is when the final report comes out, there might be at least some mention of he/she's personnel record. Can't wait to read this one: i.e., long list of FOs who refused to fly with he/she.

Yeah. If that's true, I don't see how it's going to help. While an avoidance bid makes perfect sense to us, the travelling public may not be so understanding, when everyone has a certain someone on their list. Sorta begs either remedial training, a transfer to a desk job or an invitation to work somewhere else.

Latest resources

Back