NPA Forum shut down?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No Alpa!

ALPA will never serve the best interest of the AirTran pilots, not with the big "D" across the ramp being ALPA also. I was an ALPA rep for some time and they don't care about the little guy. Never have, never will. Whoever pays the most dues gets their attention.

How about the Teamsters? They represent the MX already, why not us? Plus airline managements aren't for sure how to play the Teamsters, but ALPA, managements have had their way with ALPA for the last 8 years. ALPA is weak.

How about the Teamsters? They represent the MX already, why not us? Plus airline managements aren't for sure how to play the Teamsters, but ALPA, managements have had their way with ALPA for the last 8 years. ALPA is weak.

Never thought about Teamsters, I personally would entertain that option.

I can't think of a good example of one PILOT group (airline pilots) that Teamsters has done well for.

NetJets got their last contract because management was afraid of what the pilots could do with their customers, and wanted to do the right thing anyway.

Hasn't NetJets gotten rid of teamsters anyway lately...?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I might be, haven't paid that much attention to any Teamsters-handled PILOT relations lately. Pretty sure it's a different ballgame altogether.

I can't think of a good example of one PILOT group (airline pilots) that Teamsters has done well for.

NetJets got their last contract because management was afraid of what the pilots could do with their customers, and wanted to do the right thing anyway.

Hasn't NetJets gotten rid of teamsters anyway lately...?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I might be, haven't paid that much attention to any Teamsters-handled PILOT relations lately. Pretty sure it's a different ballgame altogether.

North American Airlines

The day the IBT represents us is the day I turn in my resignation. I want nothing to do with that corrupt and incompetent band of thieves that still owes the AFL-CIO millions of dollars in back dues. You think the NPA is worthless? Wait'll you see the IBT.

The day the IBT represents us is the day I turn in my resignation. I want nothing to do with that corrupt and incompetent band of thieves that still owes the AFL-CIO millions of dollars in back dues. You think the NPA is worthless? Wait'll you see the IBT.
I should state that I was represented by the Teamsters once. We were in Section 6 for 2 years... didn't get squat. The airline actually went out of business before anything really meaningful was accomplished, and this was in the heyday of the airline industry, 1999-early 2001, when DAL and UAL got their biggest contract gains.

In other words, I'm a little anti-IBT as well, although I'd be curious to know just what North American got, how much of an increase it was over previous book, and what their "new" payrates, work rules, and QOL is, not to mention how the IBT was able to accomplish it there and why the same thing would work at AAI...

This is classic!!!!

ALPA will never serve the best interest of the AirTran pilots, not with the big "D" across the ramp being ALPA also. I was an ALPA rep for some time and they don't care about the little guy. Never have, never will. Whoever pays the most dues gets their attention.

ALPA is weak??? Who is ALPA? It doesn't matter which union is in place, if the MEC agrees and the mngt agrees, and pilots agree, that is the contract in place. The union is just that, a union of the employed pilots, not pilots of different airlines. UAL pilots don't vote on Airtrans contract and vice versa, so to call the union weak is really calling yourself weak.
Now I do think ALPA should become the pilots union by saying in effect:
"This is the MINIMUM amounts of pay / benefits that a contract can contain for specific equipment for the pilots to be certified as an ALPA carrier", and then work to make ALPA the only and best professional pilot organization worth joining due to resources, information, and respect.
I have no problem with other unions, but if you form a union just to undercut what ALPA has stated professional pilots should be paid for specific equipment, then those pilots should be treated accordingly by the industry and fellow "professional pilots".
The days of just saying " but were a startup, we can't get paid professional wages" should be bunk, if a startup wants to compete, they should pay professional pilots, professional wages, and their employess should be treated as "non professionals" and treated accordingly without professional courtesie, yes that even means the jumpseat.

Alpa would then work at great lenths to codify with the FAA to as closely link being a part 121 pilot to ALPA status as possible, and the companies would agree because it would even out the playing field wrt labor costs among the "professional organizations".

You think that can't be codiefied, try becoming an "independent union" plumber in a major city and see the response you get..... Plumbers in the union will shun you, major companies/gov won't do business with you, and few will view you as a "professional" otherwise, they would summise, that you would have joined the "professional plumbers union".

That to me seems how to make a strong union, and I'm generally not even a union guy......

Why bother???

I should state that I was represented by the Teamsters once. We were in Section 6 for 2 years... didn't get squat. The airline actually went out of business before anything really meaningful was accomplished, and this was in the heyday of the airline industry, 1999-early 2001, when DAL and UAL got their biggest contract gains.

In other words, I'm a little anti-IBT as well, although I'd be curious to know just what North American got, how much of an increase it was over previous book, and what their "new" payrates, work rules, and QOL is, not to mention how the IBT was able to accomplish it there and why the same thing would work at AAI...

Lear,
Why bother with a new contract when the company has already forced you into a concession over firing the probies????? If the company wants to break the spirit of the contract and keep the lackey retirees working as training pilots, then the next day NPA should have taken a deadline stance to say that wouldn't stand and they consider the contract broken, null and void. The power factor here is that the pilots fear losing their job, mgt does not fear operations coming to a screetching halt. If mgmt thought that was even a remote possiblity, the contract would be followed and the furloughed pilots would have spot back in the training dept, if desired, but alas........

I'd like to see us bring in alpa. May not be perfect, but its better than what we have. Not to mention the resources that come with it.
I'll be voting for memrat as well.

Latest resources

Back